You need to LOG IN to reply.

Six Nations permutations . . .

Forum » Rugby » Six Nations permutations . . .

Mar 11, 2019, 13:01

There are still three teams that can win the Six Nations going into the last round.

This is how the table currently stands: 

(Played, Won, Drawn, Lost, Pts Diff, Bonus Pts, Total Points)

1. Wales . . . . . . 4   4   0   0   +31   0   16

2. England. . . . . 4   3   1   0   +83   3   15     

3. Ireland . . . . . 4   3   1   0   +19   2   14

4. Scotland . . . . 4   1   3   0   - 20   2    6

5. France. . . . . . 4   1   3   0   - 36   2    6

6. Italy . . . . . . . . 4   0   4   0   - 77   0    0

Remaining games, Saturday 16 March:

Italy vs France

Wales vs Ireland

England vs Scotland

Wales just need to beat Ireland and they'll win the Six Nations, the Triple Crown and the Grand Slam. 

(Note that England can't catch Wales if they win with a bonus point and Wales win without a bonus point because there are 3 additional bonus points given to any team that wins all their matches . . . a rule that was added to prevent this exact scenario where bonus points can deny a Grand Slam-winning team from winning the title).

England would need to win and hope that Ireland beat Wales or draw. 

Ireland would need to beat Wales and hope that Scotland beat England or draw. 

There is one unlikely caveat . . . the only way that Ireland could overtake England in the event of them both winning is if England fail to score a bonus point and Ireland beat Wales by 65 points + England's winning margin.

Mar 11, 2019, 13:03

Meant to add that there are one or two other possible permutations involving draws but they would only come into play in the unlikely event of a team drawing a game and still getting the try bonus point. 

Mar 11, 2019, 13:09

I can't stand Sextons diving and Bests snivelling to the ref but I hope they can beat Wales if only to shut up MY club captain who becomes ultra Welsh every year at this time. Plastic Paddies and Wannabe Welsh wankers. 

Mar 11, 2019, 13:10

Wales all the way!

Cymru am byth!

Mar 11, 2019, 13:18

Rooinek

From what I have seen this year in the 6-Nations I do think that Ireland is beatable.   Are they running out of steam?    

Mar 11, 2019, 13:18

Rooinek

From what I have seen this year in the 6-Nations I do think that Ireland is beatable.   Are they running out of steam?    

Mar 11, 2019, 13:19

Makes for a great rugby weekend

Mar 11, 2019, 15:53

Unfortunately I think England are in the pound seats. I think it is very possible that they'll get a bonus point victory against Scotland. If that is the case, and Wales only manage a non-bonus point victory against Ireland, which is a challenge on its own, then it will come down to points difference, and England have a massive advantage there.

Still...GO WALES!!!!!  

Mar 11, 2019, 15:56

If Wales only beat Ireland by one point from all penalties they will be awarded 3 bonus points for having gone unbeaten.

Mar 11, 2019, 15:58

Blue, if you read my comment you'll see that what you're suggesting can't happen. If any side wins all their games they receive a bonus 3 points so that a Grand-Slam winning team can't lose the title because of bonus points.

Mar 11, 2019, 16:45

Right. wasn't aware of the 3 bonus points. Missed that somehow. Well then it is Wales' tournament to lose.  

You need to Log in to reply.