Six Nations starts tomorrow

Forum » Rugby » Six Nations starts tomorrow

Feb 06, 2021, 00:44

And not a single post

This board is dying

Feb 06, 2021, 16:41

I think it has more to do with the lack of proper rugby on SA a the moment. Supporters aren’t really watching.

Has a lot to do with Covid and social distancing.

Can’t watch at the ground. Can’t watch at the pub. Can’t watch with mates.

Little to do with the board.

Feb 06, 2021, 17:30

Disagree we all mostly watch rugby on TV

This is a rugby board, the 6N is on

Not a single 6N post and the same applied to the CC

What’s the point of this board I ask?

It carries on being this disinterested in current rugby and I’m out of here

Feb 06, 2021, 17:42

Watching the French game now. France is developing into a good team. Their backline is showing the slick passing skills the French were known for.

France may be better than England already.

Feb 06, 2021, 17:50

Italy get good consolation try. 

Feb 06, 2021, 18:41

French side looks good

Poor Italians did so much good stuff but just can’t convert

Feb 06, 2021, 18:59

The frogs look amazing. Very well coached.

Typical french. They play in 4 year cycles but can’t seem to win a RWC.

Feb 06, 2021, 19:41

Yep they will select 10 different players next game

Duhan vd Merwe the beast smashes through two English forwards to score

Irritates the crap out of me watching him playing for Scotland

Poor miss by Rassie

Feb 06, 2021, 23:27

Congrates to Scotland and France.

Its always hard to rate a team playing against Italy, is the team good or do they just look good  because Italy are bad. Well I think its a bit of both. France scored some exciting tires but the Italian defense was awful and some of the French scores where off Italian mistakes when the Italians where on the front foot. I've never seen Italian's create so much offensively, I've never seen them construct as many phases, break the gain line in collisions as much or just break the opponents defensive line. There discipline was also quite a bit better than usual, but defensively they where often with France scoring some ridiculous easy scores. I know there has been like a million false dawn for the Italians before but this arguably the best base to build from since the joined the 6 nations.

The French are looking like the French of old, exciting running rugby with a touch of flare and not playing an ill suited power game. Still its too early to call.

Scotland-England. Well the Scots simply dominated. No one saw this coming. Its not like the Scots suddenly grew in body size but they simply dominated every facet of the game, from physicality to the tactics employed. Not sure if the English just where not mentally up for it, but they lacked their usual ferocity. They win when the bully teams but they just where lethargic today. Maybe its just a blip from England but these type of results are the reason why the 6 nations is so beloved by the home nations and France, its never really a one horse race. Certainly makes for a very open and exciting tournament. 

Wales Ireland tomorrow. Wales have been pretty poor run of form since they won the Grand Slam so Ireland would be favorites but Ireland have been very mediocre for the last two seasons, unless we say a considerable upturn in form from either of those two teams, I'd say regardless who wins its advantage France at this point.

Feb 06, 2021, 23:32

Well done to the Scots. We were never in the game today, they kept us pinned back and we had no answers.

This has been a long time coming and what we need/deserve, I think. The team and way we play is stale. 

Feb 07, 2021, 00:48

Eddie Jones was on TV trying to explain the loss to the English journalist. She at first suggested the players were at fault, and then Eddie Jones said it was his fault the players did not play well. 

Feb 07, 2021, 00:53

Eddie Jones is what one  would call a tosser, but he's a good coach and he man's up when his team losses.

Feb 07, 2021, 07:58

The fact is that he English team has a problem - they have average forwards nd had the same for a while now.    In the WC final their forwards were demolished and on Saturday it was the Scots who leveled the playing field.

By the way the Van der Merwe try was a masterly performance as well.    Will be totally surprised  if he ii included in the Lions team  of this  year.   Van der Merwe was ignored by Ludeke and  Meyer and even though  wings are reserved for selection of players of color  - he should have been brought on board  years ago,   Erasmus also made a mistake by not bringing him on board - he would have been an excellent replacement for Le Roux.                 

Feb 07, 2021, 13:28

Mike to say the English pack has a problem is complete rubbish

That English pack is the one that demolished the NZ pack in the WC so stop speaking shit

Duan is a class act and a big loss to SA rugby as I’ve been saying for years as are Paul Willemse and Ollie Kebble.

Given Duan is a wing and only a wing he is no replacement for Willie at all not that Willie needs replacing

Anyone who does not appreciate the value of Willie in a side, does not understand the subtleties of the game - are you that person? Yes you are? You ignorantly see Willie drop a ball or throw a bad pass and you define him by that ignoring the fact that he often creates something from nothing and had a hand in virtually every bit of attacking play SA set up in the WC. That is how good and valuable Willie is.

When he stops playing he will leave a huge hole as there are very few players in the game that have his vision, touch, instinct and feel for the game

Feb 07, 2021, 15:32

Dave

That does not say much about the NZ forwards were not all that hot in the Tri-Nations games in 2020..   I saw part of the game and was no impressed with their forwards, their defense  and their rather ineffective  backline attacks.   I have no really made a study of what their problems may be  why they do not seem to fire on all cylinders.    Will have to make a careful study of the situation - but will wait and see  what happens in against the red-hot French team.  

I think that many full backs and wings have interchanged positions in the past and I would believe that a player has enough pace and strength tp play at full back.   Irrespective - my comments boils down to criticism of Erasmus for not doing anything to retain Van der Merwe for the Springbok set-up.   

I would rather have had Van der Merwe in the WC squad ahead of  Frans Steyn.   

Feb 07, 2021, 16:17

A fullback needs to be a better all round player than a wing who often is only a finisher - great at beating players one on one with a step or out pacing most in the side.

A fullback needs those wing attributes plus a better all round feel for the game and of course he needs a good boot on him.

So you are very wrong about wings being interchangeable with fullback. It’s very much the exception that this happens.

Combrink is one example I can think of. Kolbe could play 15 but not convinced about that. Duan is not one of the all round players - he is power and strength with enough pace for wing. He does not have a boot on him

I do agree that Rassie cocked up by not capping him along with a good few others up north

You need to Log in to reply.