Siya: I begged Rassie to lift trophy with me

Forum » Rugby » Siya: I begged Rassie to lift trophy with me

Nov 06, 2019, 16:56

The following from News24:-

"Springbok captain Siya Kolisi has revealed that he begged coach Rassie Erasmus to lift the Webb Ellis Cup with him on Saturday.

The Boks made history by winning their third World Cup title when they beat England 32-12 in Yokohama, and the celebrations that followed were emotional to say the least. 

In an iconic moment, Kolisi hoisted the Cup skywards as an entire nation celebrated. 

Video footage shot just before the trophy presentation, however, showed Kolisi engaged in an animated discussion with Erasmus and the skipper could be seen saying "Please!". 

At OR Tambo International Airport on Tuesday, having been greeted to a hero's welcome by thousands of Bok supporters, Kolisi lifted the lid on that conversation.

"I was basically begging Rassie to come lift the trophy with me," Kolisi revealed.

"He said 'no' and that it was not his moment and that it was a moment for the players.

"It was just to say thank you to him and the management staff as well.

"The coaching staff has really been amazing and for them to help us turn things around in a year and a half.

"I just wanted to share the moment with them but he (Erasmus) is very selfless and he wanted us players to enjoy the moment."

I think that the above indication of respect the players have for Erasmus as coach and the coaching staff as  a whole is a huge positive for any team.   If Players are prepared to walk through a wall for the coaching staff in an effort not to disappoint them it is a massive advantage insofar as the team performance is concerned. 

Nov 07, 2019, 03:30

Jake set the example way back at the 2007 RWC final.

Nov 07, 2019, 07:28

Yes Rassie has been FANTASTIC  nobody can say otherwise now.

Nov 07, 2019, 08:43

Beeno

Have you read the real contributions of Mozart and AO after the win on Saturday?   AO and even Mozart see Erasmus as a hindrance and not a person who would work hard to enhance rugby quality in SA.   Their attacks on both the coach and individual players have set the lowest possible level of contribution on this site and to my mind set a record nobody can be proud of.  .           

Nov 07, 2019, 16:16

Jake was a dick setting no example at all.

Eddie Jones won us that WC not Jake - something that has been said by the players themselves

Rassie is in a different class both as tactician and player management.

The players love Rassie, not many loved the sour puss that was Jake

Nov 07, 2019, 16:17

When I saw Kolisi pleading with Rassie I thought he was begging him to stay on as the coach

You need to Log in to reply.