So what did we learn from the Bools debacle

Forum » Rugby » So what did we learn from the Bools debacle

May 11, 2019, 01:06

This was another very poor defensive performance....so my number one lesson is you can't win big games if you miss 29% of your tackles....and if your defensive alignment has as many holes as a Swiss cheese. Our defence has gone backwards alarmingly in the last few years.

Secondly the Bools kick and chase game is woeful...because there is no chase. Speckman is too small and Hendricks has no stomach for the high ball.

Thirdly the vaunted Bools scrum was bested....after they were out thought by the use of quick first channel ball. A standard AB tactic against the Boks, but something that apparently never occurred to the coach.

Fourthly another NZ team has ripped us apart by using quick lineouts. I see our players loping up to the lineout which is then taken quickly by the Saders, picking up easy chunks of field. Obviously the coach never warned them about the tactic.

So lets go to the players. This was a useful lesson. Forget Van Staden, Gqoboka, Brits.....the narrative around them imploded today.

Also forget Papier......horrible decision making and absolutely monstered for a Saders try. His few snipes never offset all that.

And frankly while Pollard's goal kicking remains metronomic....his general play is going backwards, especially his defence. He tends to be too aggressive in his defensive lines and has now been stepped by Beale and Mo'unga in successive weeks.

RG Snyman had a less satisfactory outing against the Saders....he was dummied in Stephanie/Youngs fashion by Mo'unga and missed 4 other tackles. Still he made the most Bools tackles and the tackle Dumb Joel went on about...from behind on Reece, wasn't a tackle locks make. Besides which the Ref was in his natural tackling line. He was money in the lineouts and offloaded well again.

And Vermeulen was massive again for 80 minutes.....clearly the dominant player on the deck with at least 5 turnovers and he also ruled the back of the lineout.

These are things I have spoken about before, but it's rare to see such a clear example of poor tactics , skills and player shortfalls in one match. Embarrassing.

May 11, 2019, 07:44

So ... I guess we had better forget about Pollard and Snyman too. Our premier lock and fly half were awful.

Back to Jantjies and Du Toit I guess.

Papier has never really been much of a scrummie. Herschelle Jantjies is far better.

The only thing worse than selecting Hendricks ... is giving him a contract. What were they thinking?

To think that Meyer brought him into the mix is no surprise.

Vermeulen was by no means massive. One can see he's an old man. Signing Brits, Hendricks and Vermeulen really wasn't a smart thing to do.

That was embarrassing ... it looked so easy. What a thumping..

May 11, 2019, 07:53

Mozart

How massive was Vermeulen?   That statement of yours is a massive joke as per normal.   When making a statement like that - please give examples and advisably also quote full stats

And did Du Toit play yesterday?   Why mention him in any event?   BS as per normal - the distortions continue..

May 11, 2019, 15:00

Jantjies.....you can't be serious. Well I suppose if one has supported Boshoff....Jantjies is a snap.

As for the full stats Tokkie ....I offer you one. Five turnovers. Assuming our flyhalf can kick the ball out 30 metres upfield.....5 turnovers are worth 150 metres.

But at least 2 of those turnovers forced penalties, so with the retained possession the flyhalf could have kicked twice in succession for a total of 60 metres.

So Vermeulen's efforts on the deck were worth 210 metres....almost 4 times as much as any Bool, ball in hand.

See how I help you? Now you know how to put in a minimum value on a turnover. Do you feel educated?

May 11, 2019, 19:45

No Mozart

Your story is a thumb-suck.   First of all the Bulls kicked away the little possession they had - mostly totally aimless kicks leading to counter-attacks.

Now lets get to rea; facts  and an indication where Vermeulen failed:-

Passed balls          3      Not acceptable

Carry Balls          10      Fine

Distance gained     8     Seriously deficient

Defenders beaten   1     Deficient

Possession loss      1     Deficient

Tackles made         5     Seriously deficient

Tackles missed      2     Seriously deficient

If that is what you call being massive - you must have a serious deficiency as to the meaning of the world.    Fact is his contribution should have had four times as much work s he actually produced.   So try again - and waffling about contribution on the deck is as big a joke as th rest of your claims are.   Try again - the last one is unbelievable BS.                

May 11, 2019, 20:52

Only managed to catch the last 20 min but glad I actually missed the first 60 min. I have to agree on Papier. Way too much fanfare. The kid still need to find his feet. Needs at least a couple more years before he can be considered as super rugby player, less to say bok material.

The Crusaders is a well oiled machine that has a great shape in attack, not to mention there defence. They never stop putting pressure on the opposition.

May 11, 2019, 21:07

We learnt nothing at all because such things happen to Saffa teams without any correction at the top...nothing constructive gets done...it's not the players ability at all...it's the tutoring because we are physically imposing but lack brains and never learn to innovate...and tend to clone players and game plans.

The Saders were clever enough not to take the Bulls on in a grinding bulldozer game and used their backline to run circles around the blundering hornless bulls.

May 11, 2019, 21:10

The only areas the Bools were competitive was at the lineout because of Snyman and on the deck, because of Vermeulen.

What we see so often is a South African player breaking....but when he looks to offload, there is nobody there. The same was true today of the Tahs.....not the Saders, there is always support.

Our guys are perfectly capable of offloading...it's the backing up of the ball carrier that's letting us down. If there is one thing a good coach could give us it's becoming good pass receivers. Even if a receiver is in the vicinity, too often he isn't looking for the pass, or he is ahead of the passer.

It's always been that way....how many JdV breaks weren't supported.

May 12, 2019, 06:11

So Mozart

You have to find spurious reasons for supporting Vermeulen and  Snyman.   Vermeulen was active for about 30% of the game and produced near to zero in that 30%.   As to line-outs Snyman lost the first line-out on Bulls throw-in and the situation did not improve all that much for the rest of the game.   So dream on - in practice it is meaningless,    

May 12, 2019, 06:15

...to be fair the 45 point defeat the Bulls suffered is an improvement on the 56 point hiding they suffered at the hands of the Mighty Chiefs...

May 12, 2019, 15:01

Lineouts.....thanks for introducing the topic Tokkie.

Bools 16 of 17.....Saders 11 of 14. As I said the Bools won the lineout battle. Because Snyman was such a threat up front that the Saders had to throw deep where Vermeulen turned over a couple of lineouts.

Facts are my friend Tokkie..

Lineout 1....Saders lineout, no jump from the Bools

Lineout 2....Saders lineout.....not actually shown, but they appear to win it routinely.

Lineout 3....Saders lineout.....Snyman leaps beautifully and wins it against the throw.

Lineout 4.....Saders throw....spooked by losing the last one they throw long for the centres to take.....Vermeulen forces the turnover and a Penalty for the Bools.

Lineout 5....Bools throw ....short initially, rethrow because of Pyper intervention.....they go to the money man Snyman, who takes beautifully.

But your comment is Snyman lost the first Bools lineout....whereas over the first five lineouts he won two, one against the throw and lost none.

Stop your disgusting lying.

May 12, 2019, 15:14

The pass and the support runners are vital. why the heck cant these coaches see the obvious. Have mentioned many times as have others. Nothing the nz teams do is a mystery. But no we have to run directly at the opposition and go to ground as the opposition teams resets their defence. For the life of me WHY ??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

May 12, 2019, 15:17

Why is that Hasbeen.....well obviously because our main ball carriers simply have no feel for the offload. And who was our main ball carrier last year......the 1.5 metres and hit the deck guy.....it's an intelligence test, have a go.

May 12, 2019, 15:43

I heads the same fable about Mostert in line-outs before.   Now same story about the Tales of Snyman,    Everything is done to cover up the poor performance  of Snyman    

Now just a question - how many tackles did Snyman made and how many has he miss?  

May 12, 2019, 15:55

So describe to us the first lineout for the Bools that he missed.....go ahead, it shouldn't be hard.

May 13, 2019, 20:10

Still waiting for your description of Snyman losing his first ball on Bools' throw. Are you going to apologize or just try to slime out of your disgusting, stinking lie.

May 15, 2019, 04:13

Still waiting.....

You need to Log in to reply.