Some Picks and Pans of our Super Rugby season

Forum » Rugby » Some Picks and Pans of our Super Rugby season

Jun 27, 2019, 04:33

Picks

Lleyds Mapimpi Pollard H Jantjies Marx Gqoboka Snyman Kwagga Jaco Coetzee

Pans

Vorster Ruhan Nel Elton Jantjies Robert du Preez JL du Plessis Louis Schreuder Coenie Thomas du Toit Nyakane Kitshoff Snickerling Hyron Andrews

Jun 27, 2019, 09:25

I agree with most ......... & what about their coaches?

Fleck ...... sad but true, 'nuff said, aufwiedersehen boet

Swys ...... swivels out o' downunder, ( lovesick rumours ? ) huistoe, agsiestog, but never mind its persooonlik.

DaddyDup .......... can't & won't acknowledge that his luvly laaitie who he loves so dearly is as ornery as bunnychow in Dirtbin.

Pote ........ the best of a sad lot but after his team's mass exodus next year he'll probably be poached by another effing frog.

Jun 27, 2019, 15:12

Mozart

I am indeed surprised you did not mention Etzebeth - but mentioned Schickerling - who when he did play did very well for the Stormers.   A clever and very strong lock of the future - to put him in the same category as Andrews is an insult.,

And obviously you left out Du Toit as well.    

Jun 27, 2019, 15:17

Agree on the coaches Blob, was there any assistant pro who did the business? Somebody has improved the Bools offloading dramatically over Mitchell's crew.

A bit harsh calling du Toit a pan Mike.....maybe as a left wing though?

Jun 27, 2019, 17:48

And what about Esterhuizen?  He had your full support for virtually the whole season though?  

Jul 01, 2019, 22:04

Absolute bullshit Moz - Vorster on his return to the Lions proved to be our best 12 towards the end of the comp.

Nothing wrong with Kitshoff, Thomas or JL du Preez.

Nyakane was good all season much like his loosehead in tow

Jul 02, 2019, 00:53

Well if Vorster is our best12 we are truly lost Dave

....Kitshoff did nothing all Super Rigby season.

......Thomas was a penalty machine bar none. A scrumming accident waiting to happen.

....Coenie and Nyakane are both among the 10 most penalized tighthead props.

Jean Luc Deysel is bog ordinary.

Jul 02, 2019, 06:29

Bog ordinary Vorster might well be our best 12 based on all the others being useless, as the saying goes in the land of the blind the one-eyed is king:D......what chance would Vorster have walking the Kiwi backline? 

Jul 02, 2019, 12:31

INSIDE CENTRE
Vorster was nowhere near the top of the pecking order for centres at any point in this year's Super rugby season. Not even remotely. Saffy D, you are without question the worst evaluator of centres I have ever seen! :D

TIGHTHEAD
Coenie, interestingly, is ranked 3rd for RPI. He conceded nearly one penalty in every game he started. There were a few games where he was clearly out of depth in the scrum, others where he wasn't a problem in a dominant scrum. The Shark's set pieces were such a mess that it's difficult to determine a trend for these players at times. That said, history shows that Coenie is a poor scrummager and has poor hands. 

Nyakane was ranked 4th amongst tightheads. Though, he was ranked 50 for influence to Coenie's 79. His scrum score was a few points lower. 

Make of that what you will. I for one do not regard the standard of scrummaging at Super level. 

LOOSEHEAD
As for looseheads? For RPI, Kits is the 4th best loosehead in South Africa. The pecking order goes Gqoboka (82), Smith (82), Mtawarira (80), Kitshoff (76). That sounds about right to me. I still like Kits though. For the Boks, I don't have concerns about his ability. 

FLANK
Steph is the highest ranking South African flank at 10th place with 76 RPI. Next in line are Schoeman, Stassen, Liebenberg, Jean-Luc, Brink, Van Staden, Vermeulen (Not Thor), Kolisi, Smit, Bholi, Coetzee, Rhyn. 

How nice of our captain to rank amongst the bottom of the competitions list of flanks. He is ranked 17th overall. 

Jul 02, 2019, 15:39

Whose rankings ware you referring to?

Jul 02, 2019, 15:45

RPI.

Jul 03, 2019, 11:24

Moz you clearly don’t get the art of centre play at all you never have.

Vorster like the Lions side in general did very little of note for the first half of the season. He got injured and returned for the Lions B side playing himself back into the Lions side for the last quarter of the comp.

In that time he was back to his best - the lad has a good rugby brain what you need for a 12, runs good lines, made some good breaks and used the offload to good effect. He was our best 12 in the last quarter, de Allende was our best overall closely followed by Esterhuizen.

But our best 12 is Serfontein who has been sublime for Montpellier but unfortunately is injured.

JL du Preez is possibly better than his brother Dan - both physical freaks who should walk our WC squads blindfolded.

There are not many players who can bust tackles like the du Preez twins - Marx is one. You simply have to have these physical freaks on board if you want the edge

Jul 03, 2019, 14:58

I'd play JLdP over Steph at 7. I'd have Duane over Dan. Vorster is not going to cut it for the Boks. 

Jul 03, 2019, 15:49

AO

A mad as a March Hare again - same as Mozart.  Nobody is going to play ahead of Du Toit - dimness.

Your views on rugby players is refreshing - it is always good for a laugh but let one wonders how stupid some rugby comments by some site members really are,   

Jul 04, 2019, 14:36

Dan outplayed Vermeulen all season and Marcel Coetzee has been brilliant at 8 for Ulster. Old man Vermeulen needs to take a back seat - good but not better than these two

Jul 04, 2019, 15:40

Rugby Pass is now suddenly the Alpha and Omega of the idiots,  Sites like Rugby Heaven, Rugby 365 and Planet Rugby.   They make a list of world players and  concentrate mainly on NH rugby - so suddenly they are the best raters of rugby performances.   

I accept that we cannot compare the Super Rugby with NH club rugby - it is a step up from that - and the only teams who thus far played test rugby are NH teams.   Weird how the two gets caught by the farce and then quote it  on site as gospel.   

Jul 04, 2019, 16:26

No. It is a discussion point though, and one which greatly exceeds the hot air of the rotten trolls. If you don't like what it says, provide something better. If you can't, then your "facts" of the game are meagre ungrounded opinions.

Lastly, I don't visit any of the sites you listed. The only exception was Planet rugby when getting pre-match details last year. Nothing more. 

Jul 04, 2019, 17:34

No dimness - I look at Foxsport sometimes for confirmation - not any of the media sites.

And your opinions are totally useless prejudiced opinions that can never be  believed.     

Jul 04, 2019, 18:28

Dan never made one turn over the whole season, while Vermeulen made dozens.

Dan is a ball carrier - and not allround enough to play test match rugby, at least without 2 other loosies that can compete on the deck.

Jul 05, 2019, 15:07

Bullshit Dan was far superior to Vermeulen, it’s not the job of an 8 to turn ball over. It’s the job of a 6 but in case of the Boks that job is left to Marx with Kolisi playing as a runner

Jul 05, 2019, 15:14

A back row needs at least 2 people that are effective at the breakdown. However, it would be better to have 3 Vermuelen's that can mix and match depending on the requirements of each game,

When the Sharks lost their SuperXV matches this season,  the breakdown had three ball carriers standing around the rucks doing nothing. 

If there is space for a bruiser at 7, the other 2 loosies better be effective at the breakdown.

Jul 05, 2019, 15:49

When you have skills like Vermeulen you are always competitive.....but if your only suit is physicality like Dan Deysel, you are neutered when similarly physical opponents emerge. As they will in the WC.

Du Toit is simply a case of a player functioning in the wrong role....in fact no role. If he wants to linger on the wing.....he can. If he wants to be the first runner and first tackler, he can. If he decides an opponent is vulnerable in the lineouts he can try to compete.

A free agent with literally no responsibilities. The good teams go through the gaps he leaves as he roves around....a big part of our defensive issue.

No neither Dan Deysel nor Stephanie will function as part of an effective WC loosie combination.

Jul 05, 2019, 16:01

Mozart

Stop talking KAK about the wing story,   What the hell did Du Toit do to you to cause that amount of hatred on your side and prejudice?  

Jul 06, 2019, 03:49

Hatred? If the likes of the you hadn't turned Steph into a religion, there wouldn't be anything for us to talk about. Just as with Lambie, Watson, 2006-2007 Spies, Damian and Pretorius... always taking something quite ordinary and re-imagining it as something divine. Then sharpening the axes when someone declines an invitation to The Church of [Insert Mediocre South African].

Jul 06, 2019, 04:16

Spot on Augie......hype always goes up like a puff of smoke.

Jul 06, 2019, 10:09

And the BS also goes up in a puff of smoke.  Maybe  BSter - you should see where Am Whitelock was with the scoring of the Crusaders try - was he also playing on he wing?

It is this kind of BS that makes you and the stupid AO - the day dreamer of no substance - function?  

You need to Log in to reply.