Sosatie recipe please

Forum » Rugby » Sosatie recipe please

Apr 30, 2020, 20:58

I googled a few recipes and tried what seemed to be the standard ingredients.

They were nice but I was expecting wow

Any of you or your wives have an awesome must try sosatie recipe for me?

Ta

Apr 30, 2020, 22:04

Just remember that, when it comes to sosaties, the quality of your meat is as important, if not more important, as your recipe. If not, they come out tough, and then your recipe will not save you. With chicken you can get away with quality of the meat but not with pork, lamb or beef. 

My wife has some really nice recipes somewhere. Will ask her and get it for you. Will probably be after the weekend, though.  

Apr 30, 2020, 22:10

Jeez Dave there I was thinking you were going to the gym every day.....turning that lard into muscle. Very disappointing....what do you weigh now 120, 150kgs?

Apr 30, 2020, 22:18

Thanks Vlag much appreciated

Apr 30, 2020, 22:22

Actually Moz - I go for a 2 and half hour walk 6 days a week and spend a good 2 hours a day in the home gym, 6 days a week

So feeling pretty good - it’s a great way of killing time in lockdown

I’ve sprained the wrist though doing weights so a bit pissed off about that

Apr 30, 2020, 22:33

Good to hear. My regime is somewhat similar but I limit the weights and elliptical to 4 days a week. I find the body functions better with a bit of recovery time. 

Watch the wrist, it’s easy for wrists to become chronic.....I find that with too much golf.

Apr 30, 2020, 22:35

It's in the sauce!!!

Apr 30, 2020, 22:36

Vlag the ones I made where chicken breasts - they were nice but my expectations were higher

Apr 30, 2020, 22:38

No shit Draad!!

Apr 30, 2020, 22:42

I did no damage that I knew of while doing weights yesterday but woke up with sore wrist

I have a good strong wrist guard but guess I need to leave it for a few days

Can’t run anymore which is frustrating - bloody slipped disc has interrupted brain signal to left leg so it inhibits the running

What it is to grow old - frustrating

Apr 30, 2020, 22:42

Onions, green, orange and red peppers and dried peaches or apricots that's been soaked in boiled water.

I'll look up my sweet-curry sauce recipe. 

Apr 30, 2020, 22:50

Thanks Draad

Apr 30, 2020, 22:55

Recipe I used included

Chopped onions Brown sugar Curry powder Bay leaves Apricot jam Wine vinegar Garlic Turmeric Salt and pepper

May 01, 2020, 00:16

Sounds about right. Should have finely grated lemon skin and a tad of mustard powder too.

May 01, 2020, 00:56

Some recipes have cinnamon in as well

I have an old school recipe book that has an impala sosatie recipe in it

It includes tomato sauce and Mrs Balls Chutney!!

May 01, 2020, 01:02

I prefer red meat sosaties...might add a pork belly cube or two amongst the real meat though.

Chicken is normally a bit too dry for sosaties...unless you use deboned thighs ofcourse. 

May 01, 2020, 01:42

Yeah I will get some red meat for the next batch. Used chicken breasts as it’s a trek to the shops and I could not be asked at the time.

They were nice but it’s been a while since I have had a sosatie and one has that taste sensory stored in the brain somewhere and these babies just did not quite hit that matk

Hence the request for the perfect recipe to up the anti on sosaties

We’ve had Mostert at lock it’s now time for RG or Lood - you get my drift?

Find me my RG

May 01, 2020, 11:37

Posted by: Saffex (18537 posts)

Apr 30, 2020, 22:55

Recipe I used included 

Chopped onions Brown sugar Curry powder Bay leaves Apricot jam Wine vinegar Garlic Turmeric Salt and pepper “

You’re on track. From what I’ve seen when the wife does them, she use all of those. Not sure about the apricot jam, though. Not if you have mrs Balls, in any case. Not saying the apricot jam shouldn’t be there. I’m just not sure if her recipe has it in.

Her secret is patience. You do not prepare sosaties and immediately chuck them on the fire. She seasons the meat with all kinds of stuff and then leave it in the fridge overnight, IIRC. Then she prepares the marinade (or sauce as Draad says) and mix the meat in it and leave that for anything a day, or even longer if you wish. Only then you can think about starting up the fire. 

An apricot jam tip. If you run out of chutney, you can use this as a substitute. Mix a bit of Worcestershire sauce into apricot jam. Add the W/sauce to taste.

May 01, 2020, 12:23

There you go, Dave.

1.5kg of leg of lamb or beef steak, preferably rump, cut into 4cm cubes.

Gammon steak, you'l have to judge how much pork you want included. About five mm thick cut into 4cm squares.

5ml Chopped rosemary.

2 Cloves of fine sliced garlic.

4 crushed lemon leaves. 

10 ml Salt.

2.5 ml Fine ginger.

5 ml Coarsely ground black pepper.

5 ml Whole coriander, crushed. This may sound silly, but the coriander that you buy that is already crushed loses it's flavour. You have to use whole coriander, crush it and immediately use it to get the best of the flavour.

Zest of one lemon.

125 ml Whole milk.125

Mix the meat and all the ingredients in a dish, so that the meat is properly covered and leave overnight.

Marinade:

3 Sliced onions.

125 ml Malt vinegar.

125 ml Water.

100 ml Sugar.

5 ml Salt.

45 ml Apricot jam. There you go. You got that one right.

15 ml Mild curry.

5 ml Tumeric.

Mix all the ingredients and boil for five minutes.

Let it cool and pour over meat mixture and give it a stir.

Marinade it for anything from 8 hours to three days, while giving it a good stir every once in a while.

If you are using wooden sticks and not stainless steel or metal rods, you have to soak the sticks in water for a while.

Use the meat and thickly sliced onion to make up your sosaties. When making up your sosaties, it is up to you decide the preferred sequence and number of beef/lamb cubes, gammon and onion slices you want to use. The wife has never done it, but she reckons their could be no harm in replacing the gammon with cubes of Draad's pork belly.

Good luck.

May 01, 2020, 20:25

Thanks Vlag you star and thank the lovely wife as well

Going to try that this weekend

Will report back during the week once I’ve left them for a day or two before throwing them on the coals

May 01, 2020, 23:46

Will tell her. 

May 02, 2020, 12:23

Oh really ... Dumb Fuck walks for 2 and a half hours ... 6 days a week ... and follows that up with a 2 and a half hour weight training session.

Riiiiiight!!!

Injuring your wrist during training usually comes through ignorance. You are probably holding the barbell like one does a pudding spoon.  

Care to share your weight training program with us, Dave?

This should be good.

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahaaa!!!

May 02, 2020, 12:26

Thanks, Ceradyne. That sounds amazing. Think I'll give it a bash.

May 02, 2020, 13:31

Cunt I would not feed you to my dogs

May 02, 2020, 15:22

Huh?? So ... does that mean you aren't going to share your "training " program with us?

Oh go on ... you know you wanna.

Are you sure it wasn't the overloaded pudding bowl that hurt your wrist?

May 02, 2020, 16:02

Why would I bother with a request from an utter cunt like you?

I have no time to waste on you despite having all the time in the world

May 04, 2020, 17:57

Thought as much.

You are the biggest bullshitter on here, Fat Dave ... bar none.

It's what you do ... but ... as expected ... you aren't very good at it, are you, Dumb Fuck?

What puzzles me is that you actually get upset when one catches you in your lie.

Why is that?

Do you honestly expect us to swallow all the horseshit you post on here? Come now, Dumb Fuck ... most of us aren't that easily duped ... surely you know that?.

Haaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahaaa!! Let's face it ... you've come up with some whoppers over the years.

Can I give you a littler advice, Fats ... you need to work on your delivery. It sucks. If you're going to lie to us, at least try to be a little more convincing.

I mean ... in all honesty ... did you honestly think we'd accept your statement of Kolisi being a better flank / rugby player / opensider than Schalk Burger?

See what I mean?

May 04, 2020, 18:31

Boshoff are you saying something?

You need to Log in to reply.