Springbok Squad: 1st Test team announced

Forum » Rugby » Springbok Squad: 1st Test team announced

Jun 12, 2022, 20:19

Springbok squad for the International season:

Props: Thomas du Toit (Sharks), Steven Kitshoff (Stormers), Vincent Koch (Saracens), Frans Malherbe (Stormers), Ntuthuko Mchunu (Sharks), Ox Nche (Sharks), Trevor Nyakane (Racing 92)

Hookers: Joseph Dweba (Bordeaux), Malcolm Marx (Kubota Spears), Bongi Mbonambi (Sharks)

Locks: Lood de Jager (Sale Sharks), Eben Etzebeth (Sharks), Salmaan Moerat (Stormers), Ruan Nortje (Bulls), Marvin Orie (Stormers)

Loose forwards: Pieter-Steph du Toit (Toyota Verblitz), Marcell Coetzee (Bulls), Siya Kolisi (Sharks), Elrigh Louw (Bulls), Evan Roos (Stormers), Kwagga Smith (Yamaha Júbilo), Jasper Wiese (Leicester Tigers)

Utility forwards: Rynhardt Elstadt (Toulouse), Deon Fourie (Stormers), Franco Mostert (Honda Heat)

Scrumhalves: Faf de Klerk (Sale Sharks), Jaden Hendrikse (Sharks), Herschel Jantjies (Stormers), Grant Williams (Sharks)

Flyhalves: Johan Goosen (Bulls), Elton Jantjies (NTT Docomo Red Hurricanes), Handre Pollard (Montpellier Herrault)

Midfielders: Lukhanyo Am (Sharks), Damian de Allende (Munster), Andre Esterhuizen (Harlequins), Jesse Kriel (Canon Eagles)

Outside Backs: Aphelele Fassi (Sharks), Warrick Gelant (Stormers), Cheslin Kolbe (Toulon), Willie le Roux (Toyota Verblitz), Makazole Mapimpi (Sharks)

Utility Backs: Kurt-Lee Arendse (Bulls), Damian Willemse (Stormers)

Jun 12, 2022, 20:24

I know Deon Fourie has been playing out of his skin, but at 35, relatively small and didn’t cover at hooker when the Stormers needed him. Not sure if it is a wasted cap or Rassie just bringing in an hungry old dog to show the young pups what determination looks like very much in the same mould as schalc Britz. 

I have know idea what Orri and Moerat is doing in the squad other than paint by numbers. 

Glad to see the new caps and Coetzee there. 

Will be interesting to see who gets picked for the Whales test and A games. 

Jun 12, 2022, 20:42

Some desperate shit here! Should be fun when the yarpies start bickering! XD

Jun 12, 2022, 21:13

Salmaan Moerat and Marvin orie are not in the same class as Eben for example....I have not seen much of joseph dweba so cant really say.....but Johan Grobelaar is a very good hooker.....Wilco louw for me is a immensely strong scrummager, player and don't understand his omission....mchunu is not in the same class as louw and although Vincent is good, he is a bit older already....looking at guys like Simelane, Rickus, Ruan Nel dont understand Jesse kriel's inclusion??? Although Willie is not my favourite,  his inclusion can guide the younger Guys so that is ok I guess....Only 2 flyhalfs with Goosen most probably joining as soon as his fit....Libbok is a pity and unlucky not to be picked....Deon plays with heart, and even at 35 he is hungry....but looking at Butelezi, Tshituka with there form, it's hard to understand.  Otherwise it looks good.....as I said in different post, dont want the new guys to turn into bench warmers like Du preez twins and elstadt....what he is doing there I dont really know....Roos must start before Wiese and Pieter Stef must be eased in with Erigh Louw starting....Any case let's see what happens.....was rather hoping for Ireland or French tour than Wales....would have given us  real stiff opposition from the start, not to take anything away from Wales and I hope they come here with a real mission and give us Tough games to prepare for NZ, OZ....if we beat them to easy it won't be good for our preparation for the tough ones later on.

Jun 12, 2022, 21:20

Mpower, you bozos fight over pallet swaps. Everyone else can see it, wake up!

Jun 13, 2022, 12:27

I'm not a big fan of Wiese as he reminds me of a flat track bully, but watching him play for Leicester I can understand why he is the next in line. On stats alone he is above Roos. He makes the same amount of meters, maybe less line breaks and off loads but his work rate and tackle count is right up there. He also has the bonus of knowing the system. So it makes sense that he retains his spot. Our backrow would probably be 8. Wiese, PSDT and Kolisi, but not sure if PSDT is in form as he didn't look  that sharp in top rugby and missing some series game time due injuries. 

I would love to see the likes of Roos, Louw and Coetzee start but that is wishful thinking. 

Also, the boks have to field 50 % players of colour and that is the only reason Moerat and Orri is in the team. 

Dweba is an explosive hooker with good pace, i rate him and probably better than grobler in open play but I also think Grobbler has been our form hooker. Bongi is till producing the goods but his lineout throws were awful and probably cost the sharks a few games due to not getting set piece dominance. 

We are going to continue to see the likes of Ox, Bongi and Nykane start with our best front row on the bench. Look at Kittshoff, he played the entire game on Saturday. Where as the likes of Kolis and Ox can't last a full game. I do think there is value in keeping players as long as you can on the field as it helps with the rhythm of the team. 

I also feel sorry for Phepsi and Vincent, but I think Vincent is not eligible yet to play for SA

Jun 13, 2022, 16:09

I almost Forgot about RG Snyman...." The Viking" needs to come back...his size and mobility and the forward momentum he gets + the way he free,s his hands in a tackle to offload is superb....much better than orie....hope he can get back into form and come back to Bok Squad where he belongs.

Jun 13, 2022, 16:46

Red Rose you still have not got over that WC loss to the "Yarpies" the hurt must be deep.

The Yarpies in that final outplayed you Poms at all levels.

Keep trying you loosers.

Jun 13, 2022, 18:44

Keep living off scraps. That's the life blood of Bok rugby, the one off wins here and there that keep you thinking you are still relevant. Who has the winning trend over the Boks huh? We do. And it's "loser", "looser" is what yarpy arses become after we finish with them. Have a nice day.

Jun 13, 2022, 19:08

"The national rugby union teams of England and South Africa (the Springboks) have been playing each other in Test rugby since 1906, and, by November 2021, had met in 44 Test matches. South Africa lead the series by 26 wins to 16, with 2 matches drawn. "- get your facts straight you Tosser.....do us all a favour and shut the fuck up...go use your mouth as a Bog Roll and flush yourself down the Toilet:D 

Jun 13, 2022, 19:39

Do we have to educate you fricks on everything? We build a civilization for you and you fuck that up, I cant help you on that one but I can teach you about the state of your rugby. We have won 3 of the last 4 tests between us. 

Jun 13, 2022, 20:44

We won the one that counted most.:D

Jun 13, 2022, 20:46

"We build a civilization for you and you fuck that up,"

Er, no...we built it and you lot did your best to fck it up...but let’s let bygones be...

Jun 13, 2022, 21:03

The selection of Orie is insulting - he was yet again a physical liability in that semi

Not convinced by the selections of Arendse, Mostert, Nortje, Elstadt and Fourie

Nortje is another Mostert - plenty of heart and energy - but offers nothing physically. He is a better player than Mostert but has no grunt

I see no point in selecting Fourie aged 36 as he won’t make the Bok 23, so at best will make the A side - what’s the point

Disappointing omissions are Tambwe thanks to passport issues, I’m guessing the same applies the Vincent Tsituka. Zak Burger and Morne vd Bergh at 9, Wilco Louw at 3, Grobelaar at hooker, Jason Jenkins and Ruben Schoeman at lock and loosies Buthelezi and the du Preez twins

Nkosi and RG Snyman are injured

Jun 13, 2022, 21:03

The selection of Orie is insulting - he was yet again a physical liability in that semi

Not convinced by the selections of Arendse, Mostert, Nortje, Elstadt and Fourie

Nortje is another Mostert - plenty of heart and energy - but offers nothing physically. He is a better player than Mostert but has no grunt

I see no point in selecting Fourie aged 36 as he won’t make the Bok 23, so at best will make the A side - what’s the point

Disappointing omissions are Tambwe thanks to passport issues, I’m guessing the same applies the Vincent Tsituka. Zak Burger and Morne vd Bergh at 9, Wilco Louw at 3, Grobelaar at hooker, Jason Jenkins and Ruben Schoeman at lock and loosies Buthelezi and the du Preez twins

Nkosi and RG Snyman are injured

Jun 14, 2022, 00:50

Well good to see Esterhozen there…after he gave Vunipola his calling card I guess even Harrassmiss finally twigged. He beat the most defenders from either team and made the joint most offloads….the man is productive.

With regard to Wilco Louw he was really rolled up in a crucial scrum when Quins still had a shot. I’m not sure why but he almost seems to have gone backwards.

Jun 14, 2022, 01:07

In which game was that and against who did he scrum?

Jun 14, 2022, 01:10

Orie, Elstadt and Fourie are not good selections. 
Elstadt is proven to have no thinking ability. A slow loose forward that is not worse at lock. Orie is a joke.

Both creatine twins missed the selection bus. 

Jun 14, 2022, 01:36

In the Saracens/Quins match at about minute 70. I believe Mako Vunipola was still on for that scrum.

Jun 14, 2022, 01:44

It was the Semi Final...I tried to watch that scrum, but In the highlights it's not shown... Wilco came on as a replacement...and Mako got a Yellow card, also not sure if he was the guy scrumming...but ok sometimes even the best props in the world can get pushed back, generally the games i watched in the premiership, wilco destroyed loosehead props....still worth investing in him.

Jun 14, 2022, 02:10

It was Eroni Mawi that replaced Vunipola late in the game, that forced Wilco on the back foot in that scrum.

Jun 14, 2022, 02:10

It was Eroni Mawi that replaced Vunipola late in the game, that forced Wilco on the back foot in that scrum.

Jun 14, 2022, 02:11

Sorry double post

Jun 14, 2022, 10:48

Wilco Louw has nothing to prove we have seen what he has got. Blaming a single player for a poor scrum is never fair and Wilco is only just back from an injury lay-off

Better option than Koch who is the wrong side of 30

Jun 14, 2022, 12:50

It looks  like  if you want to get selected that you will have to come back and play  in the URC. There are 45 spots open per season and playing abroad makes it much harder. Only players that stand out in their respective leagues get selected like Wiese and Esterhuizen who have been clocking up MOM week in and week out. Tyrone green was really unlucky not to get the nod as he has been the standout 15 in the English Premier league these last couple of season. 

The Kreatine twins played well at times but looks like Roos , Louw and Coetzee got the not there even though they both have been capped. 

But I do think if we can get 10 or 20 players abroad to come back that our rugby teams would be so much stronger. Would love to see us dominate the French and English teams. 

It is great that we have two teams in the URC but I think Leinster and Munster put all their effort into the European cup and therefor were weaker in the URC finals. 

Jun 14, 2022, 17:51

Red Nose,

The English history and occupation in African countries and India is nothing to be proud of.

Amen.

Jun 14, 2022, 21:42

Especially the Zulu and Boer Wars...and then over correcting by letting previous colonies like Zim go to sh!t...

Jun 15, 2022, 00:28

It’s mostly a good squad rewarding the class youngsters coming through and rewarding the irresistible form of Esterhuizen

For me the squad would have been far better with the following changes:

Tambwe for Arendse

Zak Burger for Reinach

Morne vd Bergh for Williams

Gerhard Steenkamp for Mchunu

Wilco Louw for Koch

Jason Jenkins for Orie

Ruben Schoeman for Mostert

JD Schickerling for Nortje

JL du Preez for Elstadt

Dan du Preez for Wiese

Buthelezi for Fourie

Grobelaar should have been included given his form as should Zas and Vincent Tsituka

Nkosi, RG Snyman and Goosen need to return once fit, especially RG

Jun 15, 2022, 04:14

So the genius called Harrassmiss leaves out the Deysel twins again.

Jun 15, 2022, 13:04

He’s a flawed genius like all of us

The du Preez twins are sooooo much better than Wiese and Elstadt

Jun 15, 2022, 13:08

Saffex, your are right. I  so agree on your list and felt that there were better 9's and definitely agree  with you on that. As I said before, not a fan of Wiese, but he is our most consistent 8 this year on stats.

The only problem with your team is that it will tank Rassies KPIs that is his 50/50 representation. 

Moersegat and Marvellous Marvin Orie are the worst locks at the moment. Moersegat also have been yellow carded the most in the URC. Don't want him near a bok team

Jun 15, 2022, 17:33

I like Moerat he is physical and gets stuck in

We pride ourselves on a dominant pack so why the fuck we entertain the likes of Orie, Mostert and Nortje is beyond me.

Nortje is a good player but physically not up to scratch and will be completely lost at test level

Another Mostert incapable of imposing themselves physically - not what you want from a Bok test lock

It’s so fucking frustrating that RG is injured as RG, Eben and Lood as our match 23 save us from having to employ one of the pretenders

We have so many good young locks about so it’s not like we are short thereof

Jason Jenkins

Ruben Schoeman

Walt Steenkamp

Ruben v Heerden

JD Schickerling

Andre Smith

All better options than the physically challenged 3 selected

Jun 15, 2022, 18:24

Powerful pack my arse! Big slow fatties with no skills. All the same shit. 

Jun 15, 2022, 19:16

Red Rose go fuck yourself

Jun 15, 2022, 19:37

I would if I could because I'm so fucking sexy. 

Jun 15, 2022, 19:59

Well Mr. Sexy, by folding you double, you can at least Blow yourself :D

Jun 15, 2022, 20:01

Too much muscle. 

Jun 15, 2022, 20:12

The " Big slow Fatties " in the Bok Squad, can definitely help you with that :D

Jun 15, 2022, 20:25

Red Rose, you actually made me laugh with that sexy comment :D

Jun 15, 2022, 20:49

He's a hoot Becs...the "English" Saffex of this board in some respects, but is he all that English indeed?...not that it matters...

Jun 15, 2022, 21:32

An English Saffex ? Nah that could never be ;).

Well, is Red Rose English ? I don’t know. 

Jun 15, 2022, 22:53

He's probably only pretending to be an English supporting Brit, but he's got an obvious South African connection...all in good spirit though...gets straight to the point without any filters...like our Saffex.:D

Jun 15, 2022, 23:47

Hmmmm well “ our Saffex “ certainly gets straight to the point :)

Yeah it would be nice to discuss English Rugby with Red Rose ;) 

Jun 16, 2022, 00:27

Where would that point be Becs?

Jun 16, 2022, 00:30

Red Rose is a boring twat who contributes zero on the rugby front except calling the best side in the game useless and the dick is a complete racist

Sounds about as English as I am.

Jun 16, 2022, 01:46

The point would be anywhere you want it, Saffex ;) 

Jun 16, 2022, 11:37

As England's Rugby World Cup final fell apart so did veneer of super-coach  Eddie Jones | Daily Mail Online

Jun 16, 2022, 12:51

Welcome to the board Red Rose, would be really funny if you said you are woman. Watch how these guys suck up. 

Saffex, you have a point on Been stalk locks, RG is both tall and a bloody monster in contact. But he is a freak and his poor knees keep letting him down. 

We can't always field a 6/2 split bench and always think we can dominate up front. A lineout poacher is a powerful weapon. Look at how Nortje disrupted the Leinster line out which costed them several attacking oppertunities. Nortje is also a bit faster than Lomp and made several line breaks this season and poses good hand skills which is great when you have a tall players that can free his hands in the tackle and get the likes of Tambwe to run off. 

They can't all  be brigs, but I get your point limp locks. Albert v d Berg was another that added no value when the game got tight. Test rugby is about attrition, so we need okes that can bash the door down. 

Jun 16, 2022, 18:37

Best fucking side in the game huh? you're fucking dreaming. Got your sad little flabby arses kicked to shit in the rugby championship and then we fucked your lot up badly. I guess that's the difference of being world cup holders and world champions! let that sink into your little brain. 

Jun 16, 2022, 20:01

So who is your favourite players in the English Squad for Barbarians game and Tour of OZ? Do you even know who was picked? Give us a bit of your input on the Squad.

Jun 17, 2022, 05:39

Why bother? RooiDrol is an attention seeking irritant with zero input other than to troll. Stop feeding the nobody.

Jun 17, 2022, 15:03

It’s a red arsed fly - just swot the thing

Jun 17, 2022, 18:50

haha! blubbering little quisling is lost. You should be in the political section crying about Trump you bloated anal sack. How about this... I'll watch south Africa and we can talk all about how far from being the best team in the world the little splingblocks are, huh?? 

Jun 19, 2022, 19:33

Red Nose the Rugby World Cup is the most important Cup to win in Rugby.

RSA has won it THREE times and your England team has won it just ONCE.

Sorry.

England has the most rugby clubs of any nation playing rugby as opposed to South Africa having to play "Test" under some political guidelines introduced by the Government.

Even under those circumstances we crushed you English big time when it counted.

You are a sore loser not like the English I know.

But I suppose all dregs sink to the bottom of the bucket.

Jun 20, 2022, 01:21

Don’t give the fucking twat the time of day

Wilted rose with a little prick

Jun 20, 2022, 13:45

I don't think England can be proud of much. Who could forget the rubbish team that they use to send down south that got completely hammered and that they never took tours to the South Seriously. They can only play at Twickenham or Australia which is like a 2nd home for them. 

I have high hopes for the boks this year. Hope that we can smash wales and win two out of two against the All Blacks. 

Looking forward to the autumn internationals. 

NZ vs Ireland
Aus vs England
SA vs Wales

To be honest, I don't rate wales at all and would have rather played France or Ireland to see how good we really are and expose any cracks. 

Jun 20, 2022, 16:35

Agree kingcorn.

Would have loved to see France vs RSA.

Jun 22, 2022, 13:29

Ja, I think we play France and Ireland on the end of year tour which should be good but I have no idea whether we will have a full squad or how fatigued they will be. 

Just mapped out the rugby year with all of the comps, the sad thing is that there is hardly any rest for the boks. Any bok that plays in France or Europe will almost have no rest other than week here or there. Max time off they can hope for is a 4 weeks. So not sure how much injuries we will be picking up and whether the players will  be conditioned. 

Jun 22, 2022, 13:31

I would almost argue that there is no value in the July test series with Wales as we go straight into 6 test matches in 8 weeks, URC kicks off, Autumn internationals and then straight back to URC and now champions cup too. 

World rugby needs a global test match calendar. 6 months for clubs, 3 months for test and 3 month for all players to rest. 

Smaller comps can be played during the 3 months test matches

Jun 22, 2022, 13:53

It's warmups for the Rugby Championship.:D

Jun 22, 2022, 13:57

My Starting 15 for the the first test match against wales based on player work load. 

1. Ox
  2. Bongi
  3. T Du Toit
  4. Etzebeth (Missed half the season)
  5. Lood
  6. Kolisi (Need to get into form)
  7. PSDT
  8. Smith (Wiese, Roos and Coetzee just played in the URC finals)
  9. De Klerk (Missed half the season due to injury)
  10. Pollard (Needs game time)
  11. Mpimpi
  12. De Allende
  13. Am
  14. Kolbe (Needs game time)
  15. Willie (Check if he is good enough)
  16. Trev Nya
  17. Koch
  18. Marx
  19. Mostert
  20. Coetzee (covers all 3 back row positions)
  21. Hendrikse
  22. Willemse
  23. Fassi

Jun 22, 2022, 19:14

THat team looks very beatable. Some fatties and stupid dossers. 

Jun 22, 2022, 21:47

How did your team do little red twat?

Jun 22, 2022, 21:51

King some changes to your side

Gelant at 15

Roos at 8

Kitshoff and Malherbe on the bench

Moerat ahead of Mostert

Kwagga on the bench

Esterhuizen ahead of Fassi on the bench

Jun 22, 2022, 22:39

We beat you convincingly you nubstick. 

Jun 22, 2022, 23:53

Don’t fucking lie

How did you do against the Baabaas you useless cunt?

Jun 23, 2022, 17:24

My god you are one thick shit! I say we beat you convincingly (fact) and the fuckin ass munch talks about the Baabaas after calling me a liar! What a dopey cunt. Here's some advice... Stop ingesting vodka you cant handle you soak in a tampon and shove up your ass. Goodbye you prick.

Jun 23, 2022, 20:45

Listen here you dumb cunt - in the last 20 tests between the Boks and England you have only won 5, you are fucking useless

England are our little bunnies

Yes you lied you twat, there was nothing convincing about your last win - we completely dominated you but Pollard failed to kick some easy kicks

Now talk us though the Baabaas game you rugby ignorant prick

Jun 23, 2022, 21:43

5 points at Twickers in the last match of a long season...when did you lot win anything more than a dead rubber in The Republic?...not to mention the 36- FUCKALL in 2007...:D:angel:8-)...dream on Pom.

Jun 23, 2022, 22:58

We completely dominated the Poms in that last test - it was the most frustrating result ever

We bullied them as we always do but Pollard had a crap day off the tee

I recall some missed scoring opportunities as well

But what is really telling is that our bunnies have only won 5 of the last 20 tests played

And this delusional twat thinks the Poms have the upper hand. There is stupid and then you have this dumb cunt

Jun 24, 2022, 12:10

Will be interesting to see what the Poms do down under. Think Australia can get a clean sweep, 

The poms have now lost to Scotland, Ireland and France in the 6 nations. Played really poor against the Barbarians filled with Frenchman and a former backheel goal kicker english lock. 

It was a shameful performance. 

Eddie has lost the dressing room and the plot

Jun 24, 2022, 20:37

Completely dominated my arse. Kick maul and miss tackles. You stupid fucks cant even pick up the right man. Stupid stupid stupid. How the fuck did we let you in the game? 

Jun 24, 2022, 20:53

5 in the last 20 you dumb cunt

You are an embarrassment

Jun 24, 2022, 21:09

20 tests goes back so far its before the 2007 wc you stupid shithead. What a fucking sample size to prove current success. 4 of the last 5 is a trend you ass ploughing cum stain. You are so fucking stupid you should be the national animal of south Africa. The perfect idiot representing idiot nation. Easy picking your pocket dickhead.

Jun 24, 2022, 21:14

At home d!ckhead!!!...and some of your wins at Twickers were reff assisted...:angel:

Jun 24, 2022, 21:16

Fuck me you twit, the Bokkies are ref supported. You have no dignity. And yeah we beat you in 2018 on your turf when you played at least some good rugby. 

Jun 24, 2022, 21:19

Yet again Red Rosie pocket full of posies...shut up and drink your sorry sack Bru out of your Chalice...I bet you that Frans will definitely be able to help you by folding you the Fuck double so you can blow yourself!!...that is the only action you will get in anycase....better yet go and engineer yourself a Dildo and Fuck yourself to your own hearts content....drink up King Red Dick your Chalice is running over!!! LOL :D

Jun 24, 2022, 21:21

Altitude makes your brain blood starved. 

Jun 24, 2022, 21:23

Stop lying you prick you have not won 4 of the last 5

Fucking useless liar

Jun 24, 2022, 21:23

...one dead rubber against a new team with a new coach...what did you manage when it really counted? Wilted like flowers...remember the 0-36...best Saturday of my life...better than winning the whole thing agaist you lot...and twice nogal...priceless...I'll cherish Itoje and Farrell's dumbfounded mugs till the end of days...mine anyway.

Jun 24, 2022, 21:25

Ha ha ha ! 

Jun 24, 2022, 21:41

Becs, English and the Allblacks are our best love to hate adversaries...for a reason...we hate losing to you lot...but we love playing you, win or lose...always the best of matches...well mostly...

Jun 25, 2022, 13:29

Db you are as fucking crazy as ex Saff. You took TWO lucky comebacks against our totally new attacking structures. We experimented against you lot. And fuck no, you had lots of names that I recognised. 

Fuck we ripped your shitty defence to pieces. 

Jun 25, 2022, 14:33

Some good running from England but even poorer defense from our side must admit.....our defense is better now....and unlucky all the good Running from Eng could not be pulled thru and shame you lose again....You guys should have won that one....very good comeback from the boks....but close one.

Jun 25, 2022, 14:48

No its not better... its worse! 4 out of 5.

Jun 25, 2022, 16:02

"Fuck we ripped your shitty defence to pieces."

Indeed, and you still couldn't beat us...best chance in ages and you couldn't capitalize...not gonna get that chance again in the Republic any tome soon...not to mention how you lot folded in the RWC final...BUNNIES!!!

Jun 25, 2022, 16:27

Ja nee Draad Rosie is uit gepass....Dik gesuip :'(:D

Jun 25, 2022, 18:45

What the fuck Db? We beat you in the republic and we have beat 4/5. You've got nothing absolutely nothing! 

Jun 25, 2022, 21:14

When last did Dud Toit play in a real rugby match?

Jun 25, 2022, 21:58

In Japan for Toyota Verblitz in March, he was mom for that Game against Shining Arc,s....but games recently no news....he will most probably be picked for the first test 2 July or maybe play of the bench...I think Jasper Wiese will be the First choice 8 and Roos and Louw playing of the bench?

Jun 26, 2022, 08:58

The best blindside in the game has been playing in Japan and will rightly walk straight back into the Bok starting side

Boy did we miss him. Mostert was predictably the biggest flop at 7 so much so he was replaced by tiny Kwagga who made more of a physical impact than powder puff Mostert

Jun 26, 2022, 09:18

In 2018 Erasmus gave a lot of players chances to prove themselves on international level and some of them had a number of chances given and in the end they failed to step up from club and provincial level rugby to International level rugby.   .

Erasmus - realizing that it is necessary to monitor the foreign based players on a constant basis - appoint Jones (based in Dublin) to deal with that component of the potential Springbok team.

I am happy with the present squad and hope that some of the failures in 2018 are given another chance in some cases - like Esterhuizen for example.    However, when it came to others the horse has bolted and a return of for instance Vermeulen  and re-election of Kwagga is unlikely.  

As to Le Roux the chances are that he will be replaced at full back - but he may remain since Gelant as a total flop in the Final of the URC.     He was exceptionally poor under high balls in that match and that will be exploited by international teams.   I think Le Roux is in trouble though.                                                   

Jun 26, 2022, 17:17

Well I hope Pieter is match fit and not played to quickly but rather eased in if he is not 100% yet...Le Roux,s form is also a bit off a mystery and will be interesting to see where he slots in, but I think he will start....cant see Gelant starting, but rather played off the Bench...Willemse has been consistent in the Stormers performances this season, and he might just be the inside centre back up...esterhuisen is also there, so it will be interesting to see if he will be in the match day squad....hope the Boks have a good tough 1 test, and Run the Welsh of there feet...off course based off a strong Forward Performance.

Jun 27, 2022, 01:20

The team should be:

15. Gelant

14. Kolbe

13. Am

12. de Allende

11. Mapimpi

10. Pollard

9. Faf

1. Ox

2. Marx

3. Thomas du Toit

4. Etzebeth

5. Lood

6. Kolisi

7. PSDT

8. Roos

16. Mbonambi 17. Kitshoff 18. Malherbe 19. Moerat 20. Kwagga 21. Hendrikse 22. Willemse 23. Esterhuizen

Jun 27, 2022, 13:22

Interesting squad, look very solid to me but probably not what the coaches will go for. There are rumours that the boks have been practicing with both Kwagga and Fourie in tandem and may deploy both towards the end of the game to try and get turn over ball. 

I would love to see Roos start, Wiese is not a favourite of mine at all,  but he will probably get another crack. 

I would have added Coetzee instead of Kwagga, he has been fit all seen and hopefully got over all of his injuries. 

Jun 27, 2022, 15:50

So it doesn't look like we will see Pieter Steph in the first test as he is still recovering from injury. Will be interesting to see who our backrows will be but if you believe the press, it appears that Deon Fourie has been touted as next in line. However, Kolisi, even though i believe he is completely out of form and offers no value will automatically start. 

So probably going to be something like Kolisi, Kwagga and Wiese with Fourie on the bench. The coaches even mentioned Moster which I hope is not the case. 

I would love to see the likes of Coetzee, Roos and Louw given a proper run with Deon Fourie on the bench. 

Jun 27, 2022, 18:00

When will the  two teams be announced for the test?

Jun 27, 2022, 19:57

According to IOL Nienhaber will Announce his team tom...your team Dave, is close to what it could look like, but I think Frans will start at 3, Bongi at 2...Le Roux instead of Gelant and Wiese instead off Roos? Then Elrigh Louw or maybe Coetzee @ 7..rest will stay as your team suggest...I think...bench accurate...with Mostert also being in the mix.

Jun 28, 2022, 01:22

I see PSDT is still busy with rehab and is not available this weekend

I’d play Elrigh Louw at 7 with Roos at 8

Jun 28, 2022, 11:52

Ja, I think we all know who should get a shot against a very week wales team, but I think the Niena is playing for results and not thinking about build squad deph. 

I would really have loved to See Louw and Roos get a crack as it gives our pack that mongrel we need which will make it even harder for other teams to cope with. 

Still concerned about locks, don't think Moerat is ready for test rugby, neither do we have a proper backup to Etzebeth. Maybe Elstadt but he is pushing well into his 30s. 

But I think the likes of Louw, Coetzee and Roos should get more game time in preparation for the world cup. It would be great if they have at least 10+ caps

Jun 28, 2022, 13:23

Team announced 

Springboks – 15 Damian Willemse, 14 Cheslin Kolbe, 13 Lukhanyo Am, 12 Damian de Allende, 11 Makazole Mapimpi, 10 Elton Jantjies, 9 Faf de Klerk, 8 Jasper Wiese, 7 Franco Mostert, 6 Siya Kolisi (c), 5 Lood de Jager, 4 Eben Etzebeth, 3 Frans Malherbe, 2 Bongi Mbonambi, 1 Ox Nche.
Subs: 16 Malcolm Marx, 17 Steven Kitshoff, 18 Vincent Koch, 19 Salmaan Moerat, 20 Elrigh Louw, 21 Kwagga Smith, 22 Herschel Jantjies, 23 Willie le Roux.

Jun 28, 2022, 13:25

Not the best starting team. Mostert and Moerat. A number of players from Japan with no idea of how they will perform. Willemse at fullback instead of Gelant. Elton at 10, wtf!!! 

Jun 28, 2022, 13:31

Predictable, uninspiring, unambitious, especially considering we're playing a weak Welsh team.

Haven't read any articles but can only assume Pollard hasn't spent enough time with the squad.

My team would have been significantly different but oh well, Go Bokke!

Jun 28, 2022, 16:19

kingcorn you nailed it.

What a poor selection.

Fortunately Matfield has retired and he left out Vermeulen,

Jun 28, 2022, 17:08

Again, why pick Japanese players, the league makes no sense. Just looked at Jantjies team and they got relegated to division 3, no idea why, but they also only managed to get 3 wins throughout the season. Mostert is playing in Division 2. Seriously, how can these guys be sharp. We saw what happened to Jacque Fourie after a few seasons eating sushi. One poor game against the Welsh and he himself retired immediately from test rugby. 

I would honestly not pick a single players from the Japanese league. 

Jun 28, 2022, 17:43

Yes Pollard has only just joined the squad

It’s a strange Bok side

While Willemse is a class act and in form he has not been playing fullback and Gelant has been simply next level at 15 for the Stormers

What the hell is Mostert doing at 7 after proving a complete flop there when he stood in for PSDT

Do the coaches have short memories

How the hell can Roos and Esterhuizen not make the match 23

Jun 28, 2022, 18:18

Spot on King & Saffex...really not good team choices here...although I like Mostert, he is not good at 7 and Gelant has Proven himself at 15...Poor Roos and Esterhuizen is most probably going to become Bench warmers....Jantjies is mostly better coming on as a impact player, he tends to Choke when you put him in the starting Role...happy for Elrigh though.

Jun 28, 2022, 19:00

How as a coach do you go through the process of deciding on a player like Mostert at 7 to replace the injured PSDT and said player proves a complete flop at 7 and is replaced by a player like Kwagga who is clearly not a 7 and ends up doing a respectable job

Then a year later you are faced with the same situation with PSDT missing and you resort back to Mostert at 7

Are these guys seriously this stupid?

Jun 28, 2022, 19:43

I imagine Mostert is there as the 3rd lineout option. Kolisi and Wiese aren't gonna go up and its a bit much for Louw on debut. 

I'd have started Esterhuizen outside Janjties cos you know Welsh defense would wanna get off the line and double tackle him which opens up all sorts of space for Elton and Willemse.

Still congratulations to Louw and Moerat and hopefully a great debut for both.

Jun 28, 2022, 20:18

Fucking pigeons fighting for crumbs. Fucking hilarious shit! But hey all you need is a gimmer with a clipboard and it all comes together. Useless. If wales cant beat these pretenders then they should just drown themselves. 

Jun 28, 2022, 22:03

Red twat you should find a bridge to jump off

You’d be doing us all a great service

Be sure to choose a dry river bed

Jun 28, 2022, 22:04

Xavi selecting a player just because he gives an extra line out option is pretty poor

Mostert was a complete flop at 7 so why do the stupid coaches suddenly think he is going to do us proud there

Jun 28, 2022, 22:39

I know Mosterts' not your favourite but with no Vermeulen or PSDT only having two jumpers against Beard/Rowlands is playing with fire. 

I think I heard somewhere that Mostert is in charge of lineouts. Like its his role in the Squad. Malherbe, Vermeulen and Smith defence structure. Bongi in charge of physicality.  I'd rather have Mostert in the side over Elstadt who would be the other option.

Willemse looks to be new "Utility" guy whos gonna own the 23 jersey (sorry mate)  so We'll have to get used to the 6/2 split till after 2023 RWC. Gelant will be groomed to take over for Willie and Fassi for Mapimpi. 

Hopefully Sbu comes right with Jake and the Bulls next season or he might not get a sniff of the French WC.

Jun 28, 2022, 23:44

Mostert is a thinking man’s player…subtle, always in frame….vs bozos like Dud Toit who are just as ineffective carrying the ball, but vastly inferior to Mostert in the lineouts.

Why is Dud Allende still starting….the man is a Cul de sac.

Jun 29, 2022, 01:02

Mostert might be able to think not that I have ever witnessed it

One thing is for certain he is a physical liability and what the fuck he is still doing in the Bok set up is beyond me.

He proved to us just how valuable PSDT is to us after his pathetic performances at 7 which lead to him being rightly dropped

Of course de Allende starts he is the best 12 in the game and his value is so bloody obvious

You stop DA you stop the Boks - the guy is a physical freak

Esterhuizen should be on the bench

Jun 29, 2022, 02:01

Dud Toit is the most hyped player in Bok history….didn’t stop the Scottish wing from planting him like a twig. Has he ever come back from that? A failed lock reimagined as a flank ….but he is dead weight, proven by the vast improvement in the Boks when he left the Lions series.

Dud Allendeis is stopped in every game for about 2/3 slow metres a carry. His sole claim to fame was the try he scored against the Wallies when the ironically named Biggar feebly tried to strip him instead of simply putting him down.

These two Duds need to go.

Jun 29, 2022, 07:13

The best 12 in the game? Ex Saff you are nuts! No yarpie will ever be the best centre in the game. We fucking ran this idiot ragged when notching our 4th in 5 against your sorry lot. I think it's cute though the way yarpies have big dreams and start to believe in them. Good luck for Wales youll need it! 

Jun 29, 2022, 10:26

Springbok Team: 15 — Damian Willemse, 14 — Cheslin Kolbe, 13 — Lukhanyo Am, 11 — Makazole Mapimpi, 10 — Elton Jantjies, 9 — Faf de Klerk, 8 — Jasper Wiese, 7 — Franco Mostert, 6 — Siya Kolisi (capt), 5 — Lood de Jager, 4 — Eben Etzebeth, 3 — Frans Malherbe, 2 — Bongi Mbonambi, 1 — Ox Nché

Replacements: 16 — Malcolm Marx, 17 — Steven Kitshoff, 18 — Vincent Koch, 19 — Salmaan Moerat (uncapped), 20 — Elrigh Louw (uncapped), 21 — Kwagga Smith, 22 — Herschel Jantjies, 23 — Willie le Roux

Most of the starting team picked themselves, but  how Mostert and Wiese makes it ahead of Roos  is a complete mystery to me.   Jantjies failed when he played for his NH club and he is just not going to make the grade.   And on the bench Moerat is a real joke.    The URC series has proven that Roos is a star player - but they pick Wiese at 8 and an underperforming Smith as a replacement.          

Jun 29, 2022, 17:38

Ah Moz you keep lying about the Duhan vd Merwe cheap shot on PSDT as the truth discredits your bullshit

If the Boks improved when PSDT left then why the fuck was Mostert dropped after his pathetic performances at 7 replacing PSDT

Hell even tiny Kwagga did a far better job at 7 than powder puff

Your take on DA exposes your lack of rugby knowledge

Jun 29, 2022, 18:30

Was that the Steph guy who got munched in the lions series? I thought it was your little inside centre. Fuck! The hard men getting banged like back alley hookers. He got fucking rekt! 

You need to Log in to reply.