Steroid Boy Rapelle knew he would return

Forum » Rugby » Steroid Boy Rapelle knew he would return

Sep 28, 2017, 20:56

He was a solid test player when he last played in 2013 but was not considered by Meyer. (prior to the ban).

It is debatable to allow a convicted steroid abuser to play for an international team.
It is like selecting Lance Armstrong to captain a World Sports XV vs aliens.

Although having said that I think he is one of the best hookers in SA- and certainly better than Bongi at this stage. His throw is pretty good as well.

Sep 28, 2017, 21:03

He served his time so no problem but please lets not suggest he is the second best hooker in SA. Another quota pick.

Sep 28, 2017, 22:36

So there is no such thing as rehabilitation, is there? Isn't that what a ban is for? To allow for rehabilitation and to become clean, not so?

If we have to be so harsh on former users, shouldn't we then reconsider the role of convicted steroids abuser, Johan Ackerman, who many would like to see in the high profile role of Bok coach?

Sep 28, 2017, 23:54

SB

He does not even make the bench of the Sharks and he is a useless 32 year old scandalous selection

Sep 28, 2017, 23:54

There are 2 sides. The player and the brand. It could associate the Boks with steroids- even if it is a former user. 

So even if the player is forgiven- they could tarnish the Bok brand, or any international team brand.

Ackerman' has 2 sides. The player and the coach.  Less issue when it is not international level, but he was involved again with the Boks as a player and coach. 

Sep 29, 2017, 00:32

So what is the difference between the two individuals then? Both guilty. Both served a ban. Both played again after the ban.

Sep 29, 2017, 00:49

Not much difference, other than for Ackerman it could apply both as a player and coach. 

Ackerman is probably worse as he got bust while playing for the Boks, so performance enhancing drugs benefited the Boks. 

Questions arise like did he source it himself or was it given by the rugby team doctor

Sep 29, 2017, 09:59

I agree ... he served his time ... but it will follow him wherever he goes. Questions will always be asked ... "is he still using" ... ?

He was earmarked for great things at one time. Seems that being a quota and getting the free ride wasn't enough for him back then ... he had to take it to the next level ... which ended up destroying the intended handouts he was earmarked for.

Besides ... he isn't even in the top 10 best hookers in the country. His selection to the Boks is the same as that of Bongi, Paige, Rhule and Cassiem ... disgraceful.

Sep 29, 2017, 11:15

Well, that must be a small admission from the not so CleanCut ....... Kolisi's there on merit..........but I acknowledge there are ???? marks over all those listed..... in fact, I'd award  Skossan a question mark as well .We need wingers, not converted athletes, & doesn't Rhule resemble a mini Ben Johnson .

Sep 29, 2017, 12:26

Kolisi is a quota ... we have much better flanks in the country than him ... both on the open and blind side.

He's not there on merit.

Sorry to burst your bubble, Blobbie!

Jul 01, 2020, 10:59

Seems Steroid Boy has now been given a 6-year sentence. Given he is 33- he is effectively finished.

A lying cheat- that was given another chance. All he did was roid it up again...

Jul 01, 2020, 12:29

Such a pity. At his peak, in 2010 and 2011, he was the second best hooker in the country. I don't believe he needed drugs to be a successful athlete. The same goes for Dyantyi, who was far and away the best SA wing, alongside Mapimpi. An unnecessary loss for the Boks, and an unnecessary blight on his career. 

Jul 01, 2020, 12:31

Emotion aside...
I just don't get it.
Is this the 3rd or 2nd time?

Surely after thee 1st, he knew he'd be watched like an eagle?
Surely he knew he'd be tested again?
He promised SO MUCH when he came on the scene as the U21 captain.
He spoke so well.
He played really well in his early years.

I just don't get it.
It's almost like he wanted to self destruct?

Jul 01, 2020, 15:16

I'm equally baffled Chippo. Such a waste of talent and how stupid must he be to go and do it again?

Just by the way Sharkbok, it's an 8 year ban he's received now, not a 6 year ban as you reported so it'll definitely be the end of what could have been a great career and what will now be remembered as a complete waste of talent.

His lawyers are talking about appealing but at best they're talking about reducing it to a 4 year ban so he'll be done anyway . . . assuming no-one would be dumb enough to sign up a serial drug cheat at the age of 37.

PS It's officially only the 2nd time he's been bust for performance enhancing drugs although he and Bjorn Basson both tested positive at a Springbok training camp in 2010 but were cleared. He tested positive again in France in 2015 and again last year.

Jul 01, 2020, 15:24

What a complete fucking idiot

Agreed in his prime he was good

A wasted talent for sure

He has been crap since his return from ban 2

Jul 01, 2020, 15:56

‘He spoke so well’.....eina!

Jul 01, 2020, 16:27

why eina, you idiot?

he was eloquent. And was confident in interviews.

some of us can barely string a full sentence together without using "eish" or sniffing phlegm up our nose and swallowing it... regardless of whether we went to a rural school or not.

you're taking over from david as the idiot on the site.

Chances are though, that your mum may be a bit (c)old... even for me.

Jul 01, 2020, 16:29

Woooooosh!

Jul 01, 2020, 16:31

whoosh, coming from windy chicago?

Jul 01, 2020, 17:54

You figure it out Einstein......hahahaha.....what a moron.

Jul 02, 2020, 19:41

Sep 28, 2017, 22:36

So there is no such thing as rehabilitation, is there? Isn't that what a ban is for? To allow for rehabilitation and to become clean, not so?

Jul 03, 2020, 06:45

Better than Bongi?

Haha

Jul 03, 2020, 15:40

What a waste he has turned out to be.

Shocking that he could be so stupid after most folks were supportive in his rehab.

All downhill from this point on I'm afraid for Silly-boy. 

You need to Log in to reply.