Such wonderful news regarding Frans Steyn

Forum » Rugby » Such wonderful news regarding Frans Steyn

Aug 30, 2019, 09:29

Bok Legend Frans Steyn could start a Test match for the first time since 2012 when the Springboks take on Japan in Kumagaya on September 6. 

That was the word from Springbok coach Rassie Erasmus on Thursday in what was his final press briefing before Friday's departure to Japan and the Rugby World Cup. 

While Erasmus is largely settled in terms of South Africa's starting XV for their September 21 World Cup opener against the All Blacks in Yokohama, he wants to use the Japan match as an opportunity to tick a few boxes before the tournament begins. 

The youngest World Cup winner, Steyn has played in all four Springbok Tests in 2019, but has come off the bench each time. 

Captain Siya Kolisi, meanwhile, got through around 50 minutes in the August 17 clash against Argentina at Loftus as he made his comeback from a serious knee injury. 

Getting him through 80 minutes against Japan is also something Erasmus would like to achieve. 

"There are a few things we want to do before the game against the All Blacks," Erasmus was quoted as saying on Netwerk24

"The first is to get Siya 100% match ready and get him through 80 minutes.

"Then there are other guys like Frans Steyn, who we have brought back into the system, who we would also like to get through 80 minutes if we can."

While Steyn's versatility means that he can cover numerous positions in the backline, a start would likely see him take on the No 12 jersey. 

That is where he played the last time he started for the Boks against the All Blacks in a 21-11 loss in Dunedin in 2012, and it is where he has been slotting in when coming off the bench this year. 

Erasmus added that the Japan game would serve as a final opportunity for the Boks to work on tactical elements like set piece, while he had earlier pointed to the benefits of playing the tournament hosts in front of their own vocal home crowd as an opportunity to get used to Japanese conditions. 

The Boks will be the first of the visiting nations to arrive in Japan, and their clash on September 6 will be their first against the Brave Blossoms since the famous loss they suffered in Brighton during the 2015 World Cup.

- Compiled by Lloyd Burnard for News24

Aug 30, 2019, 09:41

He probably wants some stout defence to keep the Pocky-jin off the Boks. We all know Damian isn't the best at reading intelligent movement. :D

How funny would it be if Rassie started Frans against New Zealand? Just to make a mockery of Lügnerin. One can only hope. :silly:

Aug 30, 2019, 09:59

It would be great!

We have a 70 something percent win ratio when he plays for the Boks. so I'd much rather have him than anyone else at 12.

he is a more rounded player than DdA.

Aug 30, 2019, 11:44

Would much have preferred Rasse fully testing Frans before this but better late than never. The big issue with Frans is the speed and fitness question. He has good skills but if the athlete is gone it could spell trouble.

We shall see

Aug 30, 2019, 12:02

We all know that Steyn was ever since his return from, France in 2012 a disaster and probably still is.   So lets wait and see what happens in the Japan test.   He will probably get run over by the opposing players like happened so often in the past. 

Aug 30, 2019, 13:01

Chippo wanting has been Frans at 12 ahead of any other 12 is rugby ignorance of the highest order.

I take it you had your head in your lap when the Argie 12 exposed Frans for old man he is?

Stupidest comment I have read in ages

Aug 30, 2019, 14:16

Saying Frans is shit because he missed a tackle is like saying Barrett is shit because he missed a kick.

Stop picking on single incidents Saf

Look at his overall game.

His distribution is better than DdA or anyone else that plays 12.

His kicking needs no mention.

He breaks the gain line more often than not

His tackling is on par with DdA

I agree he isnt the quickest, but it isnt a prerequisite to have a fleet footed 12. DdA isnt exactly a speed merchant wither.

So for me, FS is a no brainer for the starting XV.

Side note: I do egg mike on a lot with FS.... so please take my "over hype" with a pinch of salt.

Aug 30, 2019, 14:42

Chippo

he was shit in game after game - more noted for his ability to be out of sight than playing.   The funniest things I have seen on rugby fields are -

*   Fransie making two relieving kicks from the red zone with the balls rolling across the grass (both in tests in 2012); and

*    Fransie in the last game the two played against  each other tried to tackle De Allende and in both cases landed on his arse on the grass,

My advice - don't freak out when Fransie  buggers up in a test.    It would be nothing new and will just confirm a that he is still the poor performer he was in and ever since 2012.LOL     

Aug 30, 2019, 15:29

Tell me about Willemse's role in the Japanese test Muck.....a bench in Green Point?

Aug 30, 2019, 15:56

"a bench in Green Point"

fuck thats great.

Aug 30, 2019, 18:35

Geez Chippo he did not miss the tackle, he was not agile enough to get into a position to make the tackle. It was embarrassing - it reminded me of those old boy matches where the odd 50 year old has a game.

That passage of play is the exact reason Frans can’t make the Montpellier starting side and when he does its at 15.

He is too slow and lacks the agility to play test rugby. He is a liability.

I’d seriously have de Allende, Jan Serfontein, Vorster, Esterhuizen, Janse v Rensburg, Odendaal, Frans Venter, Marius Louw or Willemse at 12 ahead of Frans and I’m not kidding.

Frans was great in his day but that was 5 years ago

Aug 30, 2019, 20:39

No Mozart

Don't  be always an ignorant fool.   Willemse has been contracted by SARACENS to play for them until January,   Is Saracens not the TOP English club????

Unlike you and co professional sport management can identify real talent and my bet is on Saracens getting  him out of his Stormers contract by paying a huge amount in compensation.  

Sep 02, 2019, 16:18

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahaaa ... Chippo ... what on earth have you done to your avatar?

Sep 02, 2019, 17:00

Dave

He tried to find something to counter Mozart and AO - so he is now using an avatar equal to them,

Sep 04, 2019, 08:11

Haaaaaahahahahahahaaa!!

I see. Makes sense.

Problem is that you'll get self confessed sodomites returning to slobber a puddle at his every post.

Sep 04, 2019, 09:47

got you all excited..........

Sep 04, 2019, 10:34

Hey Ou Maaikie tell us, since five years ago takes us back to 2014, do you have any thoughts on this bold statement by Dawie Kabouter?:

"Frans was great in his day but that was 5 years ago"

You need to Log in to reply.