Such wonderful news. Willem Alberts is coming home

Forum » Rugby » Such wonderful news. Willem Alberts is coming home

Jan 08, 2020, 12:54

Former Springbok loose forward Willem Alberts needs to pass a fitness test before being offered a contract with the Lions.

SupaRugby, a local rugby page with inside knowledge of the Lions camp, posted on Monday that Alberts was training with the Johannesburg franchise and will be offered a contract for this year's Super Rugby competition if he passes the test.

In November last year, the Lions confirmed that they were in talks with Alberts about a possible deal.

The 35-year-old played 43 Tests for the Springboks between 2010 and 2016.

He was on the Lions' books between 2005 and 2009, before moving to the Sharks where be played until 2015 before moving to French club Stade Francais.

He played 79 matches for the Parisian outfit but only featured nine times last year.

Alberts could be the ninth addition to the Lions' Super Rugby squad for 2020.

Other new signings include prop Jannie du Plessis (Montpellier), loose forward Francke Horn (Western Province), centre Dan Kriel (Stormers), utility back Duncan Matthews (Bulls), flank Roelof Smit (Bulls), flyhalf/fullback Tiaan Swanepoel (West Harbour, Australia), wing Jamba Ulengo (Bulls) and scrumhalf Andre Warner (Bulls).

The Lions open their 2020 Super Rugby campaign against the Jaguares in Buenos Aires on February 1.

Jan 08, 2020, 13:12

What are they going to use him as?   He never was a loosie - had the pace of a slow prop - so at 35 he will even be slower than he used to be.

What the hell would the Lions want with this one?  He would be a total waste of money even if paid a R100 000 a year to carry water bottles,       

Jan 08, 2020, 13:12

Duplicate      

Jan 08, 2020, 13:20

Face facts oaks we have been defeated by the weak Rand as I kept warning the oaks was on the cards. 

Mike, Albert's has been converted to tight head as he now weighs in at 140 kg. 

Jan 08, 2020, 13:27

What great news!

His experience will be immense.

Good play by the Lions.

@beeno, our players are still being paid a lot of money. ALberts is coming to provide knowledge, advice and guidance to some youngsters. he isnt coming as an overseas pro.

Jan 08, 2020, 14:43

What a crap signing along with Jannie du Plessis, Jeandre Kruger and the utterly useless Morne Steyn things are looking up for SA rugby

Jan 08, 2020, 14:49

Flash according to what chipped ou posted, if Albert's passes a fitness test he gets the lions contract. 

Looks like they want him to play. 

Be assured our player base is being severely looted by overseas countries. 

Flash the simple fact is they earn far more overseas than they do here. Our very weak Rand has seen to that. 

Jan 08, 2020, 17:12

Alberts ....Vermeulen .....Flouw. The perfect loosie combination to take on the British and European (Irish) Lions in 2021.

Jan 08, 2020, 17:14

I agree mozart.

I also think Frans Steyn MUST start at 12 if we are to beat the BIL.

The experience of Jannie du Plessis will also be invaluable on the field.

It will be a wonderfully rounded team.

Jan 08, 2020, 17:25

Don’t forget Morne Steyn at 10 with Pollard off the bench for the last 10min!!

Jan 08, 2020, 18:07

Alberts is a battering ram that is a spent force. I believe he spends about 70% of the time injured.  He was good at his best, but he was never an allround player like a Schalk Burger. 

My guess is that a Schalk would be able to teach younger players much more than the one battering ram Alberts

Jannie Duplessis could scrum, otherwise he was useless. A total liability in the tackle situation where opposition players would seek him out. What is he like now at this stage of the game...

Jan 08, 2020, 18:11

I'm waiting for the third coming of the great Victor Matfield.....why split the Alberts/Matfield company?

Jan 08, 2020, 18:14

Very funny Mozzzzz! confused face smiley

Jan 08, 2020, 18:14

I was just referring to the fact that fitness tests did not count in the past.   Meyer selected hun for the 2015 WC squad without him playing any rugby for 14 months and he was unplayable in the WC. 

He rarely played for Stade Francais recently and like Meyer and  Morne he was one of their rejects.   Bet he would develop a fat tear before he ever played for the Lions.  LMAO,       

Jan 09, 2020, 12:26

Imagine seeing Albert's and Jannie next to each other in defence...

You need to Log in to reply.