It is the last season of the now lowly SuperRugby 15 tournament before it reverts back to Super14. And it could not have come sooner with many of the best Southern Hemisphere players plying their trade in the higher paid Northern Hemisphere, and even Japan.
For many of the SA teams, the last 5 years have been a continual rebuilding process with some squad players, not even SuperRugby standard. Dan Kriel is a plodder that should not be a professional sportsperson.
2020 however, has been hit even worse. A post-world cup year, further decline in the rand and billionaire club owners have seen the North more lucrative than ever.
Some of the best prospects have been poached from the junior divisions before making a name in SuperRugby and will be eligible under the 5-year law to represent other countries.
Many of the SA teams also have very inexperienced coaches, or experienced ones that are just plain useless.
1. Jaguars - The 2nd best team in last years tournament.
2. Stormers - They have been the SA team least affected by player departure gates.
3. Sharks - They still have some quality players and experience. The backline is good. The cockroach coach Robert Dupreez is also gone.
4. Lions - New coaching staff. Will they retain their attacking brand of rugby? Have also recruited lots of geriatric players to offset the lack of coaching experience.
5. Bulls - Expect the Bulls to be udder BS this year. Their coach is a dolt, and they have had the biggest player drain.