The 50 best rugby players in the world . . .

Forum » Rugby » The 50 best rugby players in the world . . .

Dec 17, 2019, 12:13

You can click here for the full list. There are 11 Springboks named in the top 50:

44th Bongi Mbonambi

43rd Lood de Jager

41st Makazole Mapimpi

37th Eben Etzebeth

28th Handre Pollard

21st Beast Mtawarira

14th Duane Vermeulen

12th Damian De Allende

6th Cheslin Kolbe

3rd Faf de Klerk

1st Pieter-Steph du Toit

The comments about the top ranked player were as follows:

"A one-man counter-rucking destroyer in Japan, the Springbok back-row was largely responsible for Wales' World Cup semi-final defeat.

Made more tackles than any other Springbok on their way to World Cup glory and was rightly named Player of the Year at the World Rugby Awards.

It could only have been him at the top of this list."

Hmmm . . . Pieter-Steph in 1st place and Damian De Allende 12th . . . I can think of at least one stupid but opinionated rugby noob who will be choking on his pink beer shandy when he reads this!

LMAO!

Dec 17, 2019, 12:54

Interesting read for once I can agree with most of the list.

I know Marx lost a bit of form but there is no way average Jamie George of England is better than an out of form Marx who appeared to regain his form by the end of the WC

I would also not have Itoje and Alwyn Jones that high up the list

Itoje is a good player but the most hyped in the game right now but not nearly as hyped as Richie McCaw was.

All the Boks on that list deserve their spot, I’d add Marx

Dec 17, 2019, 12:54

So what do you say about Eben being included? 

Dec 17, 2019, 13:17

So lets get the following straight:

1    According to the list Du Toit is the no 1 player on the list based on motivation provided,

12    De Allende is the top center in the world according to that list the motivation being - "Stop De Allende, stop South Africa. That was the motto thrown about during the World Cup. The fact they won it shows it was easier said than done. "

You must be careful what you post on site - the poor Mozart may have a seizure.   How can the rest of the world be so wrong and he and a few other site members see - what they believe is correct - as a true evaluation of De Allende who according to hem should not have been in the  Springbok team   Mind you the same applies to Du Toit,    

Dec 17, 2019, 14:36

RICHIE MO'UNGA @ 10 is a joke. Good player, excellent player, but not 10...and there are way too many Poms in that list...and Itoje should be way lower.

Dec 17, 2019, 14:38

Warmed over nonsense. If Louw hadn't turned the ball over when the scores were even and Wales had phase after phase in the Bok half, the Duds wouldn't be in the top 50.  

And shouldn't be!

Dec 17, 2019, 14:40

Alun Wyn Jones at 7 is absurd. James Ryan is a far better lock and should be within the top 10 ... with Wyn Jones dropping out altogether.

Itoje has a massive influence in every match and deserves to be within the top 5. Best lock on the planet.

"His performance against New Zealand in the World Cup final is something ... " that statement says it all. The dweebs who put this list together don't even know who contested the final. Is it any wonder that a guy like Faf, who has no kicking game, cannot pass off his left hand and spends every match kicking everything away aimlessly is chalked up as the 3rd best rugby player on the planet. LMAO!!

Underhill deserves better than 24th.

Hard to see why Kieran Read would make the top 50 player list. He hasn’t seen any form these last 2 seasons.

Himeno deserves to be mentioned. I don’t agree with his lowly 32nd spot though. Easily a better 8th man and loose forward than Vunipola and Vermeulen.

Dec 17, 2019, 14:46

"Warmed over nonsense. If Louw hadn't turned the ball over when the scores were even and Wales had phase after phase in the Bok half, the Duds wouldn't be in the top 50.  

And shouldn't be!"

Hmmm . . . so let's just take stock here . . .

Basically, Moffie is saying that the World Rugby Player of the Year, multiple South African Player of the Year, Players Player of the Year and recently voted #1 out of the top 50 players in the link above . . . that guy shouldn't even be in the top 50 and only makes it because of . . . ummm . . . a single incident where Francois Louw made a turnover? Otherwise he wouldn't (and shouldn't) be in the top 50 players.

Is that correct, Moffie?

Can you at least admit that your rating of PSdT is in an extremely small and ever-decreasing minority? Can you admit that? I know it's impossible for a self-important old know-it-all like you to actually admit he's ever wrong about anything but I'm interested to know if you at least admit that the people in the world who have the same opinion as you on this matter can be counted on one hand.

Dec 17, 2019, 14:55

Waaaaaaaahahaha.....it's Wales Online! That's why Josh Adams is ranked 4. Hilarious.....Dud's poor defence of his blindside and Am's desperate rush inside to stop the try gave Adams an unopposed semi try and 4th in the world ranking.

Josh Adams the 4th best  rugby player in the world? You can't be serious! The Rugby Noob's list!

Dec 17, 2019, 15:00

Now lets see,   The Springboks would not have been under any pressure were it not for the penalty given away by Mozart's hero Mostert,

If my auntie had balls - she would have been my uncle,   That is the level Mozart's IF's deteriorate to,    The piss has taken over his thinking ability iro rugby.   No logic in all what he writes,   Everything he comes up with is twisted and without any bearing about what happened in games,  

Here we expected a comment on Du Toit and De Allende and he comes up with total BS - however, that is normally what is expected from him.

So lets remind him what happened without his IF's:-

*    Team of the year       -     the Springboks

*    Coach of the year      -     Erasmus

*    Player of the year      -     Du Toit

Nothing Mozart can ever change those facts which is recorded  in rugby annals.     

Dec 17, 2019, 15:00

Yes, we know we're all rugby noobs but what we're trying to establish here is how many are not ignorant rugby half-wits and have the same opinion of Pieter-Steph that you have? 

I reckon it's a very small minority of less than a handful. There's you and Omlet and maybe Pakie as well . . . who else? How many? Do you at least admit you're in a minority in ranking PSdT outside of the top 50?  

Dec 17, 2019, 15:08

Forgetting for one sec what rugby noobs know about ranking players, the fact is that Wales just had their most successful ever RWC failing narrowly in the semifinal and their winger played a big part in that campaign through being the tournament's top try scorer.

That is all fact, not opinion.

Now, how much does someone actually know about rugby if they wouldn't rank RWC's top try scorer as one of the world's best players? The same handful? Moffie, Omlet and one or two others?

There's a pattern developing here . . .

Dec 17, 2019, 15:10

He deserves to be listed ... but not as the world's best.

I'd list him within the top 20.

He was just lucky to be part of the WC winning squad ... that clinched it for him ... same can be said of Rassie and his goats. 

Dec 17, 2019, 15:23

The 5 best  rugby players on the planet are Savea, Barrett, Jaws, Itoje and Vermeulen, Those are the players who  can make massive contributions, even if their team is losing.

This poor Wallie article is just a hype list festooned by the occasional Wallie.

Dec 17, 2019, 15:32

Swap Jaws with PSDT.

Dec 17, 2019, 15:34

Yes Moffie, but the question I asked you isn't about who is a good player and who isn't, my question to you is do you concede you're in a tiny minority of people who wouldn't even rank PSdT in the top 50 players in the world today?

No need to tell me who turned over what, who missed what tackle or who gassed who . . . just answer the simple question . . . if you're not a lily-livered coward of course . . .

Dec 17, 2019, 15:36

Yes ... a well rested Vermeulen can certainly cause absolute havoc.

Also, even though the All Blacks went out in the semis, they do deserve better representation.

It doesn't take much to see this Wallie article for what it is ... put together by noobs and ignorant Stupid Dave types, pretending to be in the know.

It's amazing what people allow to the printing presses these days.

Dec 17, 2019, 16:53

"Also, even though the All Blacks went out in the semis, they do deserve better representation"

Indeed. Not really a great list, but most lists like this is stupid anyway. 

Dec 17, 2019, 17:03

Wallies....you have to love them.

Dec 17, 2019, 18:44

Itoje in the top 5 players in the game according to Moz but PSDT should not be there and is there because Louw effected a turnover - WOW

Itoje is as average as they come. The only Bok lock he is better than is Mostert

Itoje is the most hyped player in the game taking over from McCaw

Dec 17, 2019, 18:47

When a player who really   isn't in the top 50 in the world is named the world's best player.....by definition he is the world's most hyped.

Dec 17, 2019, 18:54

Or maybe he's just the best player?!

Dec 17, 2019, 18:55

Pleased to see a number of Springboks on the list.

Surprise to see Mako Vunipola at 23 thought he had a rather poor WC and was destroyed in the final.

Own Farrell at 20 should be dropped to 36 with Danny Cipriani moved up to 20 from 36.

Jamie George at 22 is a real surprise. Way to low.

Another surprise is Read who with the injury and loss of form over the past 12-18 months did not stand out at all.

But once again congrads to the Springboks who made the top 50.

Dec 17, 2019, 19:03

The best players in the game are those that are game changers - the likes of Vermeulen, Itoje and Jaws are not those players

Top of the list is Barrett, others that spring to mind are Savea, Faf, Hogg, Kolbe, Kerevi, Liam Williams, May, Aron Smith, Read, Murray etc

Dec 17, 2019, 19:13

My top 50 SA players this year not in order as that’s just too hard to define:

Willie

Gelant

Kolbe

Nkosi

Mapimpi

Maxwane

Specman

Kriel

Am

Esterhuizen

Janse v Rensburg

Vorster

Serfontein

de Allende

Marius Louw

Jantjies

Pollard

Willemse

Faf

Reinach

Jantjies

Beast

Kitshoff

Pierre Schoeman

Thomas du Toit

Nyakane

Malherbe

Wilco Louw

Sadie

Marx

Mbonambi

Aker

Dweba

Etzebeth

Lood

PSDT

Snyman

Jenkins

Ruan Botha

Kolisi

Kwagga

JL du Preez

Jacques du Plessis

Ackerman

Wiese

Liebenberg

Marcel Coetzee

Dan du Preez

Vermeulen

Notshe

Dec 17, 2019, 22:06

Haha....very polite Shezza.

Dec 18, 2019, 00:08

When an idiot claims that he knows more about player performances than the 8 people from different countries who selected Du Toit as Player of the Year - we must accept that he is finally suffering from lunacy.   Have the 8 ex-players from different countries all been subjected to the same hype. dimness?     

Dec 18, 2019, 09:41

Enough with the lengthy lists of nobodies, Stupid.

Gelant is useless. So is Notshe, Kolisi, Tank Du Toit, Elton Jantjies, Willemse. Estrhuizen, Am and Jacques Du Plessis.

What an ignorant dumb ass you are.

Try to wake up will you.

Dec 18, 2019, 12:07

Cunt shut up your rugby input is of no consequence

You are clueless

Dec 18, 2019, 14:50

Hey Stupid ... is Gelant part of the "broader" spectrum?

LMAO!!!

Good thing your squad has such a "broad" aspect to it, huh?

Then again, he'll probably make your run on side, right ... along with Kolisi and Elton.

Haaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahaha!!

Dumb Ass!!   

Dec 18, 2019, 18:35

Big fan of Gelant he is a quality player

I don’t expect a Cunt to grasp that so don’t bother trying

Dec 21, 2019, 23:33

Looks like Lood just missed the cut:

T51
L. de Jager. 4PM+2

D. Pearce

Dec 21, 2019, 23:44

Lood’s at 43

Dec 22, 2019, 01:57

That's from the Australian PGA and there's a de Jager lying 51 . It seemed an odd coincidence given this string.

Dec 22, 2019, 23:25

43. LOOD DE JAGER - SOUTH AFRICA (Last year: New entry)

A key component of South Africa's fearsome tight five, de Jager moved away from the 'bomb squad' on the replacement bench - starting five of the Boks' seven matches in Japan.

Dec 22, 2019, 23:26

Lood would be absolutely useless as a golfer no doubt

You need to Log in to reply.