The Bok conundrum

Forum » Rugby » The Bok conundrum

Apr 23, 2022, 00:32

Our side is an aging one so the obvious thing to do is to introduce the next generation of Boks to play with or learn from the incumbents by being introduced to the extended squad

What do we have

Fullback - Willie the incumbent. This year will tell whether Willie is still up to the task

Bubbling under is the very impressive Gelant along with other impressive options in Fassi and Willemse. If Willie is slightly off, Gelant has to be selected. In fact I’d go so far as to say Gelant is the better option right now ahead of Willie.

Wings - Mapimpi and Kolbe, with the younger Nkosi the backup.

Bubbling under we have Tambwe, Zas and Green - with Tambwe looking every bit a test wing

Centres - de Allende and Am, arguably the best centre pairing in the game. Jessie Kriel and Frans Steyn are the back ups. Frans Steyn is too old and slow and needs to go.

Esterhuizen has been in sublime form for Quins and simply has to be added to the squad. Jan Serfontein and JVR remain good options.

Bubbling under are Similane and Rickus Pretorious, who is looking more and more like a test player but I hear he is off to Japan unfortunately. Willemse is the other obvious inclusion as an option at 12 foremost and utility secondary

Flyhalf - Pollard the incumbent with Jantjies the back up. Goosen was on track to join the mix but injury got in the way.

Bubbling under are Libbok and Hendrikse

Scrum half - Faf the incumbent with Reinach and Jantjies the back ups

There are a number bubbling under - Hendrikse, vd Bergh, Papier, v Zyl, Williams and Nohamba

Loosehead - Kitshoff and Ox are the incumbents. Gerhard Steenkamp of the Bulls is bubbling under

Hooker - Marx and Mbonambi are the incumbents with Dweba the back up

Grobelaar is bubbling under

Tighthead - Malherbe and Nyakane are the incumbents with Wilco, Thomas and Koch the backups and I guess you could say Wilco and Thomas are bubbling under as is Sadie

Locks - Etzebeth and Lood are the incumbents with RG and Mostert the backups. Mostert was go.

Bubbling under are Jenkins, Ruben Schoeman, JD Schickerling, Ruben v Heerden and Moerat

Openside - Kolisi the incumbent with Kwagga the backup. v Staaden has featured

Bubbling under is the impressive Buthelezi

Blindside - PSDT the incumbent with no real option used as a backup other than Kwagga which was misplaced

Bubbling under are JL du Preez, Vincent Tshituka and Elrigh Louw

Eighth man - Vermeulen the incumbent. Much like Willie this year will determine if he still has it. He peaked at the WC and has been a shadow of himself ever since. Wiese is the back up

Bubbling under is the very very impressive Evan Roos, Elrigh Louw, Marcel Coetzee and Dan du Preez

As a minimum we need to see the introduction of Tambwe, the investment in Hendrikse at 9, the replacement of Mostert with Jason Jenkins, the replacement of Frans Steyn with Willemse and the introduction of Elrigh Louw, Tshituka, Buthelezi and in particular Evan Roos

A recall for Gelant is a must, along with Esterhuizen and the du Preez twins

Apr 23, 2022, 00:54

If you want to replace Mostert than rather with Schickerling....but off course I would not drop Mostert I would just add schickerling...otherwise it looks good. In the end we are all hoping for better selection of our best talent, but in reality, under R&N, it's not going to happen. 

Apr 24, 2022, 13:55

Mostert is useless

Schickerling is good but the best non squad lock we have is Jason Jenkins so he’d make my squad ahead of the physically deficient Mostert

Apr 24, 2022, 14:50

I see Jenkins is playing for Leinster now, wonder if he is part of the squad touring SA?

Apr 25, 2022, 16:16

Hi Saffex,  a lot of talent here but only so many test caps to go around. I think Rassie and Niena really need to build depth over the next 17 test matches. Their objectives should be, build a fit squad for the world cup, create continuity and leave the team in a stronger position. Its going to be really tough to get passed the quarter finals as we will either face NZ or Ireland in the quarters. We haven't beaten the  All  Blacks in a WC since 1999 when we came 3rd. 

So based on all of the talent above. Here  is my picks and who I would drop

1. Ox, Kitshoff, ? 
  2. Marx, Grobbler, Dwebe (Bongi to go, missed all of his jumpers recently)
  3. Malherbe, Thomas Du Toit, Wilco Louw 
  4. Etzebeth, Moerat
  5. De Jager, RG Snyman, Nokea (Bunch of others like botha and schekeling)
  6. Coetzee, Van Staden, Kwagga (Kolisi out of form and will be over 30)
  7. PSDT, Liebenberg, JL Du Preez
  8. Roos, Louw, Dan Du Preez, Wiese (Pepsi on the fringes)
  9. De Klerk, Hendrikse, Van Den Berg
  10. Pollard, Goosen, Libbok (Jantjies at a push, Willemse can cover)
  11. Madosh, Nkosi, Zas (Mpimpi pushing well into his 30's touch and go)
  12. De Allende, Esterhuizen, Rikus Pretorius
  13. Am, Kriel, Simalane
  14. Kolbe, Arendse, Rhule (Senatla)
  15.  Gelant, Fassi, Willems (Steyn and Willie as last resort if all other players are injured)

But i don't think this team  of mine will meet the government quotas

Apr 25, 2022, 17:12

King I like your squad

This is the broader squad of 45 I’d go with:

15. Willie / Gelant / Fassi

14/11. Mapimpi / Kolbe / Nkosi / Tambwe

13/12. Am / de Allende / Kriel / JVR / Esterhuizen / Serfontein / Willemse

10. Pollard / Jantjies / Goosen

9. Faf / Jantjies / Hendrikse / Papier

1/3. Ox / Kitshoff / Malherbe / Wilco Louw / Nyakane / Thomas du Toit

2. Marx / Mbonambi / Dweba

4/5. Etzebeth/ Lood / RG / Jenkins / Ruben Schoeman

6/7/8. Kolisi / Kwagga/ Buthelezi/ PSDT / JL du Preez/ Tshituka / Elrigh Louw/ Marcel Coetzee/ Dan du Preez / Evan Roos

Hard to leave out Zas, Green, Senatla, Similane, Rickus Pretorious, Odendaal, Marius Louw, Libbok, Hendrikse, Ivan v Zyl, vd Bergh, Reinach, Gerhard Steenkamp, Sadie, Aker vd Merwe, Grobelaar, JD Schickerling, Moerat, Wiese, Jaco Coetzee, v Staaden, Ackerman and Notshe

We have so much talent shit I’ve not included so many other good players

Apr 26, 2022, 11:20

Ja, have to agree on the talent, just a pity we could never manage them properly here in SA. Maybe it is true, with so much talent we become complacent and always look to the next guy. 

So I can see why Rassie is sticking with his tried and trusted, but you need to every now and then get rid of sentiment. Nobody is guaranteed a fairytale ending to their career

You need to Log in to reply.