The call for....

Forum » Rugby » The call for....

May 14, 2019, 05:50

the inclusion of Ruan Botha to the Bok squad is becoming louder and more consistent, just so as his form in super rugby is becoming more consistent. Begone with half baked locks and invest in a lock who is mobile, has grunt and is prime beef at 124kgs. The idea of playing midgets and string beans has become much to our teams demise far too acceptable.

May 14, 2019, 07:31

Denny.

Looking at the lock stock(always wanted to put those words together) we have right now, Rassie should struggle to mess it up.

Question is...what to do about Eben?

May 14, 2019, 07:33

Hi Denny ... you can't really refer to Etzebeth, Lood and Snyman as stringbean midgets can you?

They're pretty chunky if you ask me.

Botha has put his hand up no doubt but what does one do with so much competition around at lock?

There is only two spots available in the run on side and I presume they'll be taking an additional 2 along to the world cup ... bearing in mind that Pieter Steff Du Toit will probably be chalked up as a blindside flank.

Then there's Mostert to consider ... as well as Schickerling.

May 15, 2019, 00:40

Clean Cut, You miss the thrust of my point. None of the locks you mention in the above post have made more or an equal physical impact as Ruan Botha. I hear a lot of hype about Schickerling but he's yet to capture my eye like Botha has. I'm talking a Botha who attacks the gain line, one who busts tackles, one who forces the defence to heavily commit with at least two sometimes three players, one who'll guarantee you a try once the team is in the red zone.Botha my good friend is the new and better version of Bakkies Botha. Be sporty enough to point me to a game or a sequence of play where any of the locks you mention do likewise. Oh and by the way, with his force he creates front foot ball and space.

Ruan Botha is a weapon that's been badly lacking in the Bok attack, an attack which at it's finest relies heavily on it's only source to score tries.......the rolling maul. We're not known for smarts of play, we're never going to be just like we never were in the past, and don't hold your breath either, it's not going to happen in our lifetime,  our DNA is physicality. A Mostert, PSDT and Snyman don't have it. Some on here languish praise on Mostert's donkey work, well piss on that I say, give me a lock that does yeoman's work instead. Now picture this, if we had another like him, I mean a power runner in our loose trio......Oh boy it's party time.

May 15, 2019, 01:11

The Bok game takes another dimension when there is a strong ball carrier that can dominate the collisions and get go forward. Ruan Botha could be a dark horse and tried off the bench.

It galvanizes the team and lets the next supporting player to run onto the ball at pace. 

Marx is the only forward in the Bok pack that is doing this consistently at international level. 

Ezetebeth usually just resorts to his wrestling move, and the first tackler takes him low, while the second tackler either supports the 1st tackler or waits for Ezetebth to hit the deck- before competing for the ball.

Stephanie is strong, but he is somewhere between a lock and a loose forward- not quite either. 

The Deisel twins are too similar, and both are only effective when the battle of the ruck is already won. Unlike Vermeulen who can vary his game plan based on the situation.

Snickering is not an international standard, and it is best that he is no longer mentioned as part of that discussion.

May 15, 2019, 01:36

I'm more concerned about our backline ..... confident that our forwards can compete with the best, but imo. from 9 to 15 there's a question mark over virtually every position plus the inconvenience of factoring in quota obligations.

May 15, 2019, 03:33

Sharkbok you're saying the same things I'm saying, where we differ is that I would have Ruan Botha in my run-on side.

"I'm more concerned about our backline.."

Do you have a solution?

As for quotas, other than Kolisi I don't see a problem.

May 15, 2019, 03:52

Beast, Marx, Wilco, Etzebeth, Snyman, Mostert, Louw, Vermeulen.

Three fetchers....Louw, Marx, Vermeulen

Four excellent lineout forwards...Etzebeth, Snyman, Mostert and Vermeulen

Three great offloaders ....Snyman, Vermeulen and Louw

Mostert to do the process tackling....the fetchers to hunt with him.

This combination should be great in all facets of forward play....except one, hard yards running. Marx can do some of this, but we don't have an Alberts orVunipola.

It's not a matter of not selecting that player....he simply does not exist.

There are other good players...Botha is our best Etzebeth replacement....Stephanie a less athletic alternative for Snyman.

It's my view, but I wont be offended if you disagree......that the following players are simply not going to front against the world's best......Malherbe, Kitshoff, Snickerling, Marcel Coetzee, the Deysel twins, Brits, Kleintjie Kriel, Kolisi, Lomp and Kwagga.

We have seen a lot of these players.....and they have never made a difference against the best, although at times they have looked good against lesser teams.

For the WC we need the pros who have proven they can do the business.

May 15, 2019, 07:04

Not a bad strategy, Mozart. It can work ... if you had the right personnel.

Firstly ... Beast is not the best in his position so why is he there?

Marx is a given and so is Etzebeth.

Snyman is a class act, but then again so are Lood, Mostert, Botha, Schickerling and Du Toit. An Etzebeth, Snyman partnership at lock would be awesome ... but so would a Snyman, Lood partnership or an Snyman, Botha partnership.

Mostert is not a flank ... I guess anything to rid the side of Du Toit, huh?

We have seen how ineffective Louw's become and the same can be said for the inconsistent Vermeulen. Had they only been 7 years younger.

Neither can be relied upon to produce top class performances consistently. We need more than the occasional good showing ... and besides, Louw is way past producing anything of that nature these days.

Kriel is a vastly better option to Louw ... in every way.

Dan Du Preez has had a great season this year and fully deserves to be in the mix at 8. He is consistently producing top performances, unlike Vermeulen, who seems to be rested more often these days.

Elderly, burnt out heroes of yesteryear won't bring us victory.

May 15, 2019, 08:15

"Snyman is a class act, but then again so are Lood, Mostert, Botha, Schickerling and Du Toit."

Really?

You do have a great sense of humour, it's no surprise I'm a fan.

May 15, 2019, 09:33

May 15, 2019, 09:39

Haaaaaaaaahahahahaaaa!!

Well what can I say ... I'm highly respected, loved by all who know me ... and my dogs think so too.

May 15, 2019, 10:39

Tx, I suspect he's bulked up since those videos. The man has all the skills. I like him best when the team is in the red zone.

Here's a challenge, find the same of string bean Mostert and Snyman.:P

May 15, 2019, 12:09

There you go Denny

May 15, 2019, 12:11

Just highlights

May 15, 2019, 12:32

Tx you cheeky bugger......the kid has some toe, impressive stuff. I'm still not buying Mostert, why would anyone when there's Etzebeth, Botha, RG and Lood.

You need to Log in to reply.