The Kolisi Canumdrum

Forum » Rugby » The Kolisi Canumdrum

Apr 22, 2022, 12:13

Warning!!! (Expecting incoming fire from Saffex)

This a really hard one to bring up but based on current form, should Kolisi even be near a bok jersey. He hasn't done much for the sharks since joining and our win record last year was below average. Yes, we did win the Lions but not without the help of Rassie interfering and standing up for Kolisi. 

Then, his stats this year are woeful and the games as well as his performance in the games  I watched him play, he hardly shows up. There are a bunch of loosies pounding on the door to get selected. I also never rated him as a Captain and also felt that Duane was the real captain. If you see who talks to the boys behind the sticks, its Duane. Kolisi even said it with his own mouth that he is happy for other players to do the talking. So if you are not performing and not talking, who is leading the team? 

Should we take the risk and have Kolisi in the team?  When we have players like Van Staden, Coetzee, Kwagga, to name a few all performing better. 

My problem has always been when coaches  select players on reputation or they are a coach favourite. There should be players pushing the player above them. Class players will stand out. 

What message does it send out that even your captain won't get replaced if his form dip. We saw it with John Smit, he was way below form after the world cup but kept being selected to the  point that he had full control of the team and which ended up with us being knocked out of the Quarters because of this mans Ego. Not to mention Snorre being a poor coach.

Why are we repeating this.  Players should be there on form,  experience can help but it only gets you so far. 

When Kolisi is on form he is a fantastic player. But right now he isn't and the URC season is almost over before we go into the next test season, but I think Rassie has painted himself in a corner now and we simply can not drop kolisi for a white player or captain or all hell will break  lose. Possible threats of having the boks sanctioned. 

Most people now agree that Mallet got rid of Teichman too soon but it was a brave choice by him. So now we are afraid of dropping our captains, but we need to find the middle ground. 

In my opinion, unless Kolisi ups his game,  he shouldn't be selected and a clear message should got out, if you are not on form and not performing for you club then there is very little room for you and other players will get picked ahead of you. 

Lets not repeat the same mistake of the past. 

Apr 22, 2022, 16:20

Well looking at the situation with the country, and kolisi being the first Black Captain, there is most probably no chance in hell that kolisi, even if his form is bad, will be dropped or benched.... although it's clear to see that there is other loosies that are younger, stronger and in better form the sentiment would be to keep him....this is unluckily the way SA rugby operates nowadays....let's hope his form becomes better....but then again, how is that supposed to happen if the guy almost never plays....he gets protected like the golden goose... anycase let's see what happens.

Apr 22, 2022, 17:12

I also read some comments from Niena that they have already selected their loosies and that there is only one spot up for grabs as a loosies.

So they are to stick with Duane, Kwagga, Kolisi and PSTD.

That is really bad, we should be building depth and comfort compition. 

For some reason the All Blacks are great at blooding in players.

A guy like Papaleeie is 24 and had 20+ caps but never heard of the guy until the blues v crusaders game

Apr 22, 2022, 17:12

I also read some comments from Niena that they have already selected their loosies and that there is only one spot up for grabs as a loosies.

So they are to stick with Duane, Kwagga, Kolisi and PSTD.

That is really bad, we should be building depth and comfort compition. 

For some reason the All Blacks are great at blooding in players.

A guy like Papaleeie is 24 and had 20+ caps but never heard of the guy until the blues v crusaders game

Apr 22, 2022, 18:03

I think that because mostly R&N has got us to No 1 with there structure, game plan and player selection, they are clinging on for dear life not to change much. They believe that there recipe will keep us on top and therefore any new player, does not matter how good he is, that does not fit in with the R&N game plan is overlooked...it might very well be, that because of there coaching limitations, this is all they've got in form of game plan, structure,s and player selection.

Apr 22, 2022, 21:04

We were lucky in the WC, facing Japan, the Wallies and then the complacent Poms in the final. We actually lost convincingly to NZ and never played Oz who always give us a go in the WCs. It was one of those things where we had an all NH WC sequence.

Out of those wins and admittedly a good showing against England has come the myth of our  strength, totally exposed last year in our poor RC performance and mediocre YE tour.

But the myth won’t die because it’s been protected. The myth makers, primarily Harrassmiss are planning to live off this WC win for their rest of their careers.  Not playing in 2020 was deliberate. And out of that one game against England actually,  has come the myth of Harrassmiss, Dud Toit, Dud Allende and Kolisi. The myth makers are never going to devalue the myth by firing their best fantasy tool….Siya Kolisi.

Apr 22, 2022, 22:54

Complacent in a WC final bwhaaaahaaaa

Apr 22, 2022, 22:57

Here is the reality of the Bok players playing provincial or club rugby - they operate in cruise mode

Kolisi is no different to Vermeulen or Kitshoff or Mbonambi or Mapimpi which we regularly see in action

Kolisi has been solid and is a class act

Apr 23, 2022, 01:52

Everyone in the media, apart from me, was saying England by 20, 30 points because South Africa beat Wales in the semi-final and Wales could and should have won that game – South Africa played really poorly,” continued Woodward.

I just think they got complacent. Looking at stuff at social media, a lot of guests arriving in the camp from celebrities… to Australian people. They got it wrong. I have exchanged curt texts with Eddie since because he has heard what I have been saying. They got it wrong.”

Thinking back to how his England got their preparations correct 17 years ago, Woodward reflected: “I just remember back in 2003 after we beat France in the semi-final sitting every player down and saying, ‘Guys, just give me one week. There is going to be distractions everywhere, from family to friends to media to sponsors, just don’t get involved. Win the World Cup. Do what the hell you like next Sunday, just win the World Cup, just give me one week’. We went mad on not getting distracted by anybody.

“I just think (this) England got distracted, right down to the blinkin’ team didn’t arrive on time. I’m on the pitchside. We normally position our cameras so we are behind the England warm-up and we are well into the programme and I have got the ITV producer in my headphones going, ‘Where are the England team?’

“Don’t ask me, I’m on the touchline. I haven’t got a clue where they are because they weren’t there and they arrived late, literally half an hour late for the World Cup final. It’s a meticulous, military operation that preparation, so to arrive 30 minutes later for the World Cup final, again it said the heads just weren’t quite there. 

…..

They arrived 30 minutes late……I agree with Woodward, they thought they had already won the WC….complacent.

Apr 23, 2022, 01:56

Bwaaaaaaahahaha…..schplotttttttt……England’s only WC winning coach thought they were complacent. Stick with moz for the honest scoop.

Apr 23, 2022, 09:34

"We actually lost convincingly to NZ"

Not at all, that match was a lot closer than the score suggested.

Apr 24, 2022, 09:21

And Kolisi didn’t show up yet again for the sharks last night. What a poor game. The saarks should have put the away. For me Pepsi was the pick of the loosies. 

Then in the other game, Marcel Coetzee got through a mountain of work. 

Kolisi never tried to slow the ball down, avoids contact and the spent most of the match on the tram lines taking the wings space up. 

Where as Dyamani was on fire, beautiful hands, great pace, draw defenders and had 3 try assist. 

We have enough black talent knocking on the door. Kolisi needs a kick up the ass

Apr 24, 2022, 13:28

It's true they got complacent it was just a mad blunder tactically the way they started as well. You have to sort the Jarpies out physically first and then you strike. It was a totally different game than the new Zealand game. Anyway it is what it is and you lot have let it get to your heads like you always do and think your all that when your not. 

Um, Db... you were a loooong way off beating new Zealand. the scoreboard made it look a helluva lot closer than it ever was! You guys were pretty lucky to limp to the final for one good game of the entire tourney. Facts pal. 

Apr 24, 2022, 18:05

ja, ja, I know...tell me, how do you Poms expect to win us on neutral ground if you barely manage to beat us at Twickers?...dream on...the Poms were way off the pace in that final...NZ were the complacent fools who succumbed to your rabble of a team...you lot made winning a RWC look easy...better luck next time.

Apr 24, 2022, 23:15

Clive Woodward bwhaaahaaa - enough said

Apr 29, 2022, 11:35

So I really hope kolisi can start performing, he has been a liability or non entity. I don't buy that players need to coast. Rassie and Niena really need to pick inform players. 

Right now, of our best 6, Marcel Coetzee take the lead. He has been fit all season and the numbers are telling. Just at their comparisons 

Attacking stats

Coetzee

https://www.unitedrugby.com/clubs/vodacom-bulls/marcell-coetzee 

• TRIES
    2ND
  • TRY ASSISTS
  • CLEAN BREAKS
  • METRES GAINED
  • OFFLOADS
    1ST
  • CARRIES
    4TH
  • Kolisi

https://www.unitedrugby.com/clubs/cell-c-sharks/siya-kolisi

• TRIES
    • TRY ASSISTS
    • CLEAN BREAKS
    • METRES GAINED
    • OFFLOADS
    • CARRIES

Defence

Coetzee

• TACKLES MADE
      10TH
    • TACKLES MISSED
      50TH
    • TACKLE SUCCESS %
      86TH
    • TURNOVERS WON
      13TH
    • TURNOVERS LOST
      31ST

Kolisi

• TACKLES MADE
    • TACKLES MISSED
    • TACKLE SUCCESS %
    • TURNOVERS WON
      56TH
    • TURNOVERS LOST

Apr 29, 2022, 11:36

The only blemish on Marcel is his turnovers lost but then look how much he carries the ball, top try scorer, meters, offloads tackles. I mean, Marcel should get selected ahead of kolisi

Apr 29, 2022, 17:00

Kolisi has not been a liability at all. He has been solid not spectacular. He is coasting as are a number of Bok incumbents

Kolisi has nothing to prove - the lad is a class act

Kolisi is our best openside followed by Kwagga and I’d like to see the impressive Buthelezi moved to openside

Marcel has played 6 all season and done a good job but he is not a 6, much like Schalk and Louw were not

All too big and bruising for the role. Marvel’s best spot is 8, but the competition at 8 is through the roof with Roos leading the pack

Apr 29, 2022, 22:21

Old man Deon Fourie has been fantastic for WP and can do a job at hooker too...had the most turnovers in the competition a week ago...none of the players currently playing for the Bools, Snarks or WP will embarrrass themselves if sellected for the Boks...we have talent to burn in all positions...

Apr 29, 2022, 22:40

Ja that is true... With all the talent and older experienced players like fourie and Coetzee playing bok quality rugby, you can build a 2 Bok team..... some experience mixed with mostly all our red hot talent.

You need to Log in to reply.