The most beautiful country

Forum » Rugby » The most beautiful country

Jan 14, 2021, 16:49

All my life long I put my country before anything else. and that includes rugby played by the Springboks.   After completion of the RWC's in 1995, 2007 and 2019 I cried out of ride and everything else.   

But what happened to the beloved country?   Beauty does make our life worth living - but what happened to the people of SA is a tragedy beyond belief,   It was bad before - with load-shedding and poor service delivery, but 2020 was a disaster and 2021 looks bad already.   The currency was depleted because of bribery and corruption on the highest levels gf Government. 

Due to Covid 19 we became prisoners in our own homes in 2020.  Prices went through the ceiling and even in the Superspar and Pick and Pay there were at times empty shelves,  

Will 2021 be any better?   I do not think so.   The people who left SA when they had the opportunity to do so did themselves and their children a massive favor.   Those who thought that SA would always be the land of milk and honey are now suffering and 2021 is going to be continuing and things will  inevitably get worse,    We are back to the cloister system at home - we cannot visit our friends and family - load-shedding is back with a vengeance.   I am getting to the stage where I think living is not worth it anymore,

Jan 14, 2021, 19:20

Maaik, Cyril and his cronies want to punish us for the last 100 years...this is their chance...ons kak is geboek.

Jan 14, 2021, 19:41

Now now Mike life is always worth living bud unless you are one of these fools who believes in the afterlife where asking for forgiveness for hating Morne so is going to bring you that milk and honey

By living you experience the ups and downs - by dying you are nothing

Eric Clapton at his lowest point when he contemplated suicide decided against it as he reckoned as a dead man he could not drink and get hammered. So despite it being a low it was better than death

Chin up buddy and Morne has to retire soon

Jan 14, 2021, 20:19

It was inevitable unfortunately. For a brief period around 2000 it looked like South Africa could become an international property destination. But with the electricity mess it was obviously not going to happen.

I decided to give upon my CT winter haven  when the electrical leads to my alarm system were cut by one of my security guards....who needs that rubbish.

Sad, but hey it happened everywhere in Africa.....the world wanted this and now they couldn’t care less.

Jan 14, 2021, 20:22

Oh Mike, life is worth living. I know it doesn’t seem it at the moment, we’re all struggling on, but there has to be a light at the end of the tunnel. 

I know I can’t have any idea of what it’s like to live in your country and to see things falling apart, it must be heartbreaking for you all, but you must stay strong and hope for better days ahead. 

And it looks like there will be a Lions Tour against SA this year....it’s looking likely that it will be played over here and SA will travel over for the Tests. Better than nothing, right ? 

Just take good care of yourself in the meantime. 

Jan 14, 2021, 20:34

That’s a bit of good news! Back to RSA. I have travelled everywhere in the world pretty much, lived on 3 Continents....there isn’t a place to compare to RSA. Yes Switzerland is beautiful, but you can’t revel in that beauty the way you do in RSA with it’s climate and beaches.

And the people as individuals have good values and talent.

A huge opportunity lost. And it started with Saint Nelson who was the one man with enough stature to have started this thing on the right note but he wasn’t worldly enough to see the risks.

Jan 14, 2021, 20:43

We have to cling on to every little piece of good news, don’t we ? 

Africa has always looked like the perfect continent to me and it’s with great sadness that I’ve never managed to travel there. 

Jan 14, 2021, 22:43

Never, never give up Michael...you know that very well...every Cloud has a Silver Lining.

There's so much if we only open our eyes and our minds. So much detail of beauty.

I'm not sure why you cannot visit your relatives close by as long as it's not a gathering. I see clients and occasional friends. 

Send me an email at my gmail account if you like. Best, Seb

Jan 14, 2021, 23:43

Something to cheer the downhearted...in SA and perhaps else where.....hahah...hahaha

https://youtu.be/gVJxjNoGEWA

https://youtu.be/RoQJerrMcwA

Jan 15, 2021, 00:07

Jan 15, 2021, 04:13

I don't see anything good in our about South Africa. I don't find it especially beautiful, anymore. There are better mountains in better lands with more culture and more to offer. I used to miss the land of the Transvaal, but that has lessened considerably over time. I don't even want to see what it is like now. As bad as my last memories are, I know it's only gotten considerably worse since. But hey, Cape Town is going to be independent from the rest of SA and become a utopia, or so I'm told :D

Jan 15, 2021, 04:58

"Cape Town is going to be independent from the rest of SA and become a utopia, or so I'm told :D"

Never gonna happen.

Jan 15, 2021, 05:55

Great idea though. 

Jan 15, 2021, 09:56

Mike, I think you are quite down because you are not aware of much of the good that is occurring.

I'm eagerly awaiting Covid's end so that my plans to move abroad can commence but, at the same time, you have to know that many positive things are occurring in SA.

Don't feel too down about having to stay at home. People have had to endure worse, Mike. I've been to many hospitals over the last year and seen how badly older people can be affected by this thing. While I don't agree with ALL the restrictions, one does need to have some perspective. Cyril was handed a train smash of an economy and soon after that COVID struck...we've really not done too badly in the light of the timing and the fact that this is a global crisis which we've managed, perhaps by luck, to minimise the health effects of.

Up and down the country, a ton of infrastructure work is and has been carried out over the last decade. Many quality young professionals are emerging and pulling things forward in their own way. In fact, without sharing details of some of the conversations that I've had with young SAcans of all races, I can tell you that there is a lot more commonality in thinking between them than there is between older generations. They're hyper-aware of corruption, South Africa's potential and also our role on the continent. I get a strong impression that they see themselves as role models for the rest of Africa and are eagerly waiting in the wings to help turn over a new leaf in SA.

What I see as a major issue, is groups from first world countries that are promoting victim culture and the fact it's bleeding into our young people at this critical time when they need to see themselves as leaders and NOT victims. 

Jan 15, 2021, 13:27

Trust fucking Omelette to tell us SA is not that beautiful

We all knew he was a worthless negative prick, he now has more than confirmed that

Find a bridge and jump

Jan 16, 2021, 03:20

Off I go to Casa Del Saffy...

Jan 16, 2021, 10:23

Kindergarten Imbecile

I have been to many countries in the world and for me only Austria and to a lesser degree  Switzerland came close to SA as far as natural beauty is concerned.     Go and watch the movie out of Africa and hear what Karen Blixen said about African beauty.  The vivid colors of the African countries compared to what you see in Europe is not even debatable.   .    .  

Jan 16, 2021, 10:52

I've lived in five countries on three continents speaking four languages. You lose Lügnerin. Again. Scenery, colours, unique sights, there is better elsewhere. "Natural beauty" is often used as an excuse to stay in the country. It's not that significant at all. You need to expand your horizon. I don't believe you've ever left South Africa Lügnerin. 

Jan 16, 2021, 12:41

Omelette you need to find an island with no internet, TV or phone signal, where all those languages you profess to be able to speak will be of absolute no use

Jan 16, 2021, 12:41

Omelette you need to find an island with no internet, TV or phone signal, where all those languages you profess to be able to speak will be of absolute no use

Jan 16, 2021, 13:04

Well-done  Dave

The prick knows nothing about rugby and less about SA.     

Jan 16, 2021, 13:04

Well-done  Dave

The prick knows nothing about rugby and less about SA.     

Jan 16, 2021, 14:07

Oxygen thief

Jan 17, 2021, 02:15

But you were making Augie’s argument at the start of this string Mike...are you recanting? He’s not saying South Africa isn’t beautiful although he prefers other scenery ...that’s his prerogative. He’s saying scenery can’t offset social failure. Up until he said it I could swear that’s what you thought.

Jan 17, 2021, 03:02

No Moz, Omelette is overtly negative about everything SA, from it’s rugby to its beauty

The guy has nothing positive to add when it comes to SA. He is just one fucking useless prick

While you are annoyingly negative about most our players you still love our home, recognise it’s beauty and endorse our world rugby standings over the years

This is all beyond Omelette which accounts for my distaste for the idiot

Jan 17, 2021, 03:34

I am despondent not about the scenery - about what the country  became because of bribery and corruption - it is not only on Central Government level - it goes through  all levels of Government,  When I left the Municipality where I worked  they had R500 million reserve finds  for the upgrading of infrastructure,  Three year later the funds were gone  with no infrastructure being done.   One of the projects that would have benefited the  poor particularly and which was ready to be implemented  and for which National  Treasury granted R107 million was scrapped by the new management and the money was  withdrawn by Government die to gross incompetence,

I can write a book about it,   The whole story means that the people suffer and  that all services deteriorate,    The fact is in a place like Riversdale there is not the problemss we had in KwaZulu-Natal.     Here service delivery is not the problem.   I am downhearted because the only program I actually watch on TV are either rugby or cricket,    The Virus had ensured that we get crap programs not worth watching because of replays.   

Although Rugby was going downhill fast at least it showed recovery in 2019 and is going forward - cricket is an exact opposite.   When Standard Bank stop their sponsorship because association would damage their reputation one must realize the diabolical state  SAC is in.   It is so bad - and even  the involvement of Smith and Boucher have  not helped,  

Maybe things will get better = we do not know,   Last week more than 20 000 people died because of the Chinese Virus.   Even though the infection rate in the Municipality with 65 000 people  involve  only 74  positive cases - we are basically in our own home prison.  I went about a month ago to see my brother who stays about 2 kms from where I live for the first time since March  large year, bit the people here adhere to strict protocols and we can do nothing outside  my property anymore, 

Depressed  yes - with little hope for improvement -  does not make for happy people.  Maybe I will get over it when the vaccine is available and people being provided  with some cover that would allow a return to normality - but nobody ever knows what this Government will do positively.   

Must get over it and probably will.    I met Alan Paton once and often think of "Vry the Beloved Country",    His widow left SA shortly after his death  and the ANC  took over because there were three break-ins at her home.   He wished for a change - but the change was for the worst.                                

Jan 17, 2021, 07:01

Surely this type of stuff belongs in the Beeno section?  :D

Jan 17, 2021, 07:44

Despondent because only rugby is an outlet on TV, which  is exactly why Erasmus’ chicken run in the RC was so pathetic. We needed some rugby that really interested the fans and he put his reputation ahead of all that. Others will disagree but I can’t respect that kind of  thing. 

Jan 17, 2021, 14:26

Shut up Shark stop being a bitch

Jan 17, 2021, 14:31

I would be surprised if Erasmus in fact took the decision  not to participate in tests to date,   It is somewhat  outside his operational area - since it involves  consultation with the sponsors and various interest groups - the main focus in that case would be financing and what the Government would allow and not to,    At the stage when team sport was forbidden in SA  - people would not be allowed to travel between provinces - leave alone to destinations outside of SA .  

Those regulations stayed in place and some relieve were granted only from the first week of September,     Very late to decide on participation  in tests after the players were unable to receive coaching  in a team environment = there were  some gym work done - but no team coaching to allow for participation.

The second wave of a much more contagious nature is now in SA.    The second wave is now upon us and Government has hardened  application of the regulations.   The previous weekend  there were  circa 20 000 people arrested for contravention of the regulations.            

Jan 17, 2021, 15:59

If Rassie did make the call which I understand he didn’t it was without a doubt the right decision made by whoever

It’s the same call I would have made and it’s the same call Jake White made

No brainer

Jan 18, 2021, 11:45

http://www.capetown-webcam.com/table-mountain-live

Cape Town Webcam

Jan 18, 2021, 13:24

The pic reflects part of the beauty, looking down from the top of the mountain point me to a similar beauty.... in a no win debate, which is better...the daytime view looking down on the city or the nightime view looking down on the city with its lights smiling at you?

Jan 18, 2021, 17:25

After undergrad I stayed in a flat with exactly that view....it was a killer. From about mid day the sun just poured in.....burning up everything. 

Jan 18, 2021, 17:43

Looks like somewhere between Milnerton and Bloubergstrand...a bit too windy most of the time, but on a good summer day, there's probably no better place on the planet...love my Kaapstad.

Jan 18, 2021, 19:29

Mozaart

There was in the 1990's a  restaurant  on the Milnerton Lagoon where I took friends for a meal and they had the most wonderful crayfish dishes imaginable.    Was bot cheep either - but really magnificent - about on par with the Hout Bay restaurant,            

Jan 18, 2021, 21:04

It’s a very underrated bit of nature....but there’s so much in the Cape. Mike my favorite sea side restaurant is the Harbor House in Kalk Bay. It looks third world from the outside, but once you’re inside it’s all white linen and great sea food, some of the catch straight off the boats. And then there are waves crashing into the windows on big days.

I also like Baia in CT harbor....great prawns, langoustines and oysters.....and nice views

Jan 18, 2021, 23:33

Each city in SA had one or other spot that stood out for its views,  colonial buildings and historic past that brings back fond times and memories of past years.

Times and events take place within a country that should lead to peace, common decency and equality for all but unfortunately in the case of SA it was never ever going to happen.

As a young man in 1963 while serving my term (ACF duties) I had the chance to see first hand just what cruel animals man really is.

The butchery carried out by ANC scum on their own people was  sad, horrific and awakening to me to the facts that they would never ever change irrespective of who or what they political  claimed in the media, the UN and Western Capitals.

This experience was so upsetting to me that I knew from that day on that if I wanted a life filled with peace, prosperity and safety for myself and any family (I might have in life) that South Africa or Africa was not the place for us.

I was supported by my girlfriend at the time and we set about planning our future at that time.

We got married on 31 May 1968 at the Old Fort Chapple (Durban, close to Kingsmead Cricket Stadium), worked hard and saved every cent we could.

Also started a business in SA which allowed me to move monies out of RSA to safe locations and the rest is history.

Our big chance came in 2084 with the final move in 2087 to Canada.

Now we live in a town surrounded by a river and numerous lakes safe secure happy and grateful for the foresight that was given to us as younger people.

Walking around the lakes is one of the most beautiful experiences that we are fortunate to enjoy in winter with blue lakes and white tree tops all around and knowing that our children, grandchildren and great children are all safe and healthy.

But even after all these years we still have thoughts of the times we spent in RSA and sadly for the folks who are enduring these challenges daily.

Not to point fingers at anyone but we all had the opportunity to decide what is best for our future with some folks hoping and praying that if they stayed in RSA all would be safe and peace will reign.

To those poor souls we hope and trust that the tide will turn and you will be rewarded sometime soon.

Vasbyt.

Jan 19, 2021, 07:20

Your dates ere somewhat off - it must be 1984 and 1987   I had a chance to go  to Australia in 1964 and then refuse to go because of my parents  and  my love for a girl in Cape Town.   The lattter broke down and ever since then I was  unsettled in life when it came tow omen,  

I did nit go to Australia  because there were really no flights like developed later and  communication was difficult.    My father owned one of the most historic farms in the Southern Cape  and nobody thought their lives would change and that view prevailed through to the  political change of 1984,  My mother was sympathetic and worked her whole life long to help the poor and deprived and did not think the ANS takeover was really a disaster -   and I inherited that characteristic from her.

You were right when you foresaw what was coming and I was not so as was my family/     

Jan 19, 2021, 18:57

Thanks CM with the dates.

Yes it is a difficult choice to make in leaving family, friends and your country to start a new life.

But life is what you make of it.

Sorry things went sideways for you.

But hopefully change will come to RSA.

You need to Log in to reply.