The one Bok we can’t afford to lose

Forum » Rugby » The one Bok we can’t afford to lose

Dec 07, 2021, 04:00

What happens if Pollard is seriously injured. Every significant test we have won since WC 2015 has had Pollard starting. And the English loss demonstrated again, Jantjies simply doesn’t have the bottle for a really big occasion. Young Smith does.

So who is there. Is there even a semblance of a plan here?

Dec 07, 2021, 04:12

It’s certainly true Pollard is not growing as a player, but he is still miles ahead of any other South African 10. Which raises the question, why can’t we produce flyhalves? Even at scrum half we have credible alternatives.

Dec 07, 2021, 06:04

Young Chamberlain of the Sharks look very promising. 

Dec 07, 2021, 09:50

Jordan Hendrikse of the Lions looks very good

Younger brother of Jayden Hendrikse the youngster who played 9 for the Boks

Both were Baby Boks, both are injured at the moment

Not sure what Jantjies did wrong when he replaced Pollard - Jantjies played well when he got opportunities this year. So disagree with you on that front but he is 30 odd now so time for new blood. Goosen has been brilliant for the Bulls but he is 29 now

Dec 07, 2021, 14:02

Pollard was average this season. Janjties at times looked better, especially as a playmaker getting the backline running. 

Dec 07, 2021, 14:51

There is also Kade Wolhuter. We have got flyhalf talent but they are kept out in the dark. Under current coaching staff, Pollard & Jantjies has become shadows of there true selfs.

Dec 07, 2021, 17:22

Jantjies was hesitant and missed the crucial Mapimpi try conversion….which got Frans the next kick, even though it was well within Jantjies’ range.

His well known weakness on defence may have influenced Dud Allende’s disastrous decision to come inside opening the barn door for the winning Pom try.

He is never going to lead us to a WC or RC win. At best a ‘hope and pray’ sub.

Dec 07, 2021, 17:48

Jantjies was good this year and it’s been some time since he was exposed defensively

But we do need some young talent coming through

Hendrikse

Chamberlain

Bosch

In that order are our best young 10’s

Dec 07, 2021, 17:54

Willemse had some good games at flyhalf for Stormers but was never really allowed to grow in that position. On request of bok coach he was switched to fullback, where he has never really excelled. He is well build and attacks the gain line very well. He also has X factor and good defence. At the moment he some kind of in between sub that is worth much more, if manged and coached right. If he is given the trust and support, he can become great.

Dec 07, 2021, 19:18

Must agree that we need to bring in some young talented players to back up Pollard.

I do like the look of the three Saffex has named while at the same time concerned about the loss of form of Willemse who was originally selected to backup  #10 but has been used a #15 in recent tests.

Yes the young men named have played well this season but injuries are  taking their toll unfortunately.

But they do have what is needed talent and balls.

Dec 07, 2021, 19:18

Willemse was poor at 10, much like Frans Steyn was - he just does not have the composure to direct play from 10 and his hand to foot is slow, just like Frans

He can cover 10 off the bench but never a starter. I think his best position could be 12, he is good at 15

He is an instinct/flair player - needs to be able to play uninhibited by the pressure of having to control the game from 10

Dec 07, 2021, 21:25

I agree Dave, I have long thought we should try Willemse at 12. He doesn’t have the brains for 10 or the patience for 15 and he appears to like the contact. With his elusiveness he could be very effective at 12.

Dec 07, 2021, 22:39

I think he will suffer the same fate Frans did and be selected in a different position every few weeks becoming handy in all but a master of none

Frans should have only played 12 and should have been used there far more than he was for the Boks but I guess part of the issue was that his time overlapped with Jean’s

Dec 07, 2021, 23:01

But Jean had the pace to play 13. A Frans/Jean combination could have been terrific.

Dec 07, 2021, 23:22

Yes but Fourie was very good at 13, I know you were not a fan but he had one hell of a strike rate

Rotating the 3 would have been the way I would have played it

A young Frans could have played 12 and 13 much like Jean could have

Dec 08, 2021, 08:47

The problem is that Steyn matured early as a full back and was moved o center by white where he had good performances against weaker teams - but was a defense liability against stronger teams.   He then went to play in France for three years and was useless playing for Racing Metro.   

When he came back to SA he was contracted by SARU and delegated to  play for the Sharks.   in the tests in 2013 in which he played his performances and that of Jean at 13 was so-so - nothing to talk about.   He got injured in September 2012 and did not play for the Springboks after that until 2017.

When playing for the Sharks at center he was a dead duck - grossly overweight and slow he was rated as the worst centers in Super Rugby, since his defense were also poor.   Fact is Plumtree said he was no center at all.    In 2018 Steyn was called back into the Springbok squad as a utility player from the bench - but in all key games was  coming from the bench to play at full back - never at center.

Steyn at center would have been a disaster for the Springboks similar to the Super Rugby series in 2013 to 2015 hen he played at center for the Sharks.            .   

Dec 08, 2021, 11:15

Mike stop speaking shit - Frans has never been a defensive liability

He had the potential to be one of the best 12’s ever when he was young - he had everything

Was the best 12 at the first WC he played in - made the team of the WC

Dec 08, 2021, 12:01

He was when he played at center or flyhalf for the  Sharks  and he was a liability because of his whacky knee making tackling difficult  unless players ran straight at him  Any player running between flyhalf and inside center or between  inside center and outside center went through without difficulty unless tackled by the flyhalf ort outside center.    

Even in recent media reports there are mention that unless defensive cover is from other players his pace-deficiency is the reason why he is a real problem in the team.   I did a statistical evaluation when Steyn played at inside center and flyhalf when player for the sharks and his mtr  was in the high twenties.   That is not acceptable.   Erasmus would not play him at center in crucial tests against strong opposition - why would that be?

As to Willemse - when he played in the Under 19 WC series he played at 12 and was the talk of the tournament.      

Dec 08, 2021, 12:20

I honestly don't see any challengers to Pollard right now in any of our Super Rugby team. None of them are putting their name up in lights at the moment. 

We had Goosen of the bulls, but week knees. Morne Steyn is still taking up all the first class games which is robbing our younger talent from stamping their authority. 

Hendrikse looks really good but need more first class games. 

Bosh has completely been messed around and no longer the starting 10 for the sharks. Not sure if he is even at the right union. He is 23 so should have played himself into the bok team but never really stepped up

That said, Manie Libbok is the the Stormers 10 now but really shit and just another stepper like Willemse. 

Dec 08, 2021, 20:11

Frans today is poor but in his prime he was fantastic

Hendrikse looks our best prospect to take over from Pollard one day.

Pollard is only 27 so has plenty left in the tank so we don’t need to worry too much

Hendrikse has plenty of time to mature and no doubt will need to fill out a bit

He is a handy attacking 10

You need to Log in to reply.