The state of our home based players

Forum » Rugby » The state of our home based players

Feb 14, 2020, 01:53

If we compared a Bok side that is overseas based with one that is home based the outcome is a true reflection on how much the exodus is hurting

OVERSEAS based Bok side:

15. Willie

14. Kolbe / Combrink

13. Kriel / Janse v Rensburg

12. de Allende / Serfontein / Vorster / Esterhuizen

11. Duhan vd Merwe / Ismiel

10. Pollard / Goosen

9. Faf / Reinach

1. Pierre Schoeman / Kebble / Coenie

2. Marx / Aker

3. Wilco Louw / Marcel vd Merwe / Koch

4. Etzebeth / Jenkins

5. Lood / RG Snyman / Ruan Botha / Ribbans

6. Jaco Kriel / Kwagga / Carr

7. Jacques du Plessis / JL du Preez / Ackerman / Liebenberg / Kirsten

8. Marcel Coetzee / Dan du Preez / Vermeulen

Wilco Louw and Esterhuizen are joining Quins after Super rugby

HOME BASED Bok side:

15. Gelant / Fassi

14. Nkosi / Skosan / Tambwe

13. Am

12. Odendaal / Marius Louw

11. Mapimpi / Senatla / Green / Lleyds

10. Jantjies / Willemse / Bosch

9. Jantjies / Papier / Nohamba

1. Kitshoff / Nqoboka / Nche

2. Mbonambi / Dweba

3. Malherbe / Nyakane / Thomas du Toit / Sadie

4. Moerat / Ruben Schoeman / Walt Steenkamp

5. JD Schickerling / Wiese / Ruben v Heerden

6. Kolisi / James Venter

7. PSDT / Tyler Paul / Tshituka

8. Jaco Coetzee / Notshe

Interesting to note it’s very much a colour thing when it comes to who stays and who goes

Feb 14, 2020, 02:44

I wonder if the historical quota issue and transformation devalue black players overseas.

Just being a 1st choice SuperRugby player is good value for an overseas club to buy (especially in the glory days of SuperRugby when it was the best club tournament in the world).

The European club owners are not sure how good black players actually are because in the past they may have not been the 1st choice on merit in a SuperRugby team. 

Or it might just be that white people are more just interested in the opportunity of living overseas, possibly forever. 
The last few months have seen higher interest than ever of white people wanting to leave SA. 

Feb 14, 2020, 03:01

Good point Shark, I think it’s more of a subconscious political thing - whites a drawn to leave, while black players are comfortable staying at home.

There might be a bit of a quota hangover that has foreign clubs resisting the temptation to sign black players from SA but I don’t really think that is the case for there are a handful of black players plying their trade up here or in Japan.

Kolbe, Ismiel, de Jongh, Mapoe, Ashley Johnson, Cassiem and Carr

Feb 14, 2020, 03:09

By black, I was meaning native, rather than say players of colour. 

However, in 2020 all SuperRugby teams are currently looking like merit, at least for the players that are still in SA. 

Not that colour should have any relevance on selection, but for the overseas club owners, they might still have that stigma of quota. 

A black player like Beast would have walked into any club in Europe but he was obviously a first choice player with over 100 tests. 

Feb 14, 2020, 09:57

The only two non merit players of colour I see in Super rugby are locks Orie and Andrews

But there are a good handful of super shit white players involved as well like Morne Steyn, Jannie etc

You need to Log in to reply.