The "wee" All Black backline in 2019

Forum » Rugby » The "wee" All Black backline in 2019

Aug 12, 2019, 23:19

ex sport24 - "New Zealand suddenly boast one of the smallest backlines in world rugby". 

Aaron Smith - tiny.

Richie Mo'unga - (89kg) short

Lampaue - 5 foot 8 tall. Shortest centre in world rugby

Ben Smith - small for a modern-day wing. Appears to be having some geriatric thining. 

Beauden Barrett - skinny. He was run over nicely by an Australian last weekend.

Many of these players will be selected, so the Boks could bully them. It would be good to see Frans Steyn run over Barrett to start of the match. Not just bounce him out of the way.

Aug 13, 2019, 02:27

I agree with this, to an extent. Barrett is a lightweight, so too was Cruden. Laumape is around 100kg. Mo'unga is about average I'd say, unless someone can inform me differently. Their 9s are small, but Faf is smaller than all of them. I don't think they have as many players with mongrel as they used to. I'll look into this a little more sometime. My initial impress is not that they lack height or weight, they still usually beat us in the air and handle the likes of Damian et al rather comfortably. 

Aug 13, 2019, 04:58

In that epic 2013 AB match, Jean ran right over Barrett to score. Unfortunately 3 minutes later Barrett ran right through Dave fave JJ to put NZ ahead.

Goodhue/Bridge and Ioane are 3 pretty physical players and Barrett is a match winner.

Look out this weekend.....when the lucky packet Beale looks physical, the real ABs were on vacation. They wont be on Saturday.

Aug 13, 2019, 05:17

One has to wonder what some are on when they talk of the AB's being in decline. Given their size, half their skills as well as a 15 man team they pretty much better than most....if not all.

You need to Log in to reply.