Thomas du Toit

Forum » Rugby » Thomas du Toit

Dec 06, 2021, 22:31

What the Sharks did to the Bulls this weekend is what the Boks should have done to England.

Total forward dominance, in particular the scrums was converted into points unlike the Boks numerous missed opportunities

Thomas du Toit’s conversion from loosehead to tighthead is complete - he has been dominant there all year and along with Mchunu they destroyed the Bulls scrum.

It was good to see the great ball carrying Mchunu showing he can scrum as well.

The loss of Nyakane at tighthead for the Bulls is huge, poor young Hunt on his Bulls debut got penalised at will.

Similane at 13 for the Lions is a pleasure to watch with ball in hand - so good to see a centre use pace and stepping to beat his opponents. He does look to have bulked up a little but needs to be closer to 100kg than 90 to be a test consideration but for now he looks the ideal backup to Am at 13 for the Boks

Dec 07, 2021, 14:43

Thomas is a obvious example of inform players that is in the squad, but hardly gets game time in the bok fold. R&N is not creating depth and as it looks, will stick with out of date players and double down on there tactics. Although they did well with pack, slow poison game style and kicking game has improved, R&N needs help in backline department as it is seen in our weak attack/backline play. That being said, I strongly believe that R&N believes that they fine and not much will be changed. The End.

Dec 07, 2021, 17:55

Yeah I’d like to see Thomas used ahead of Koch

Dec 07, 2021, 18:04

Thomas is also versatile as he can scrum loose head side to. I have wondered many times why they would go with Koch, not that he is that bad, but mature in years. I would also bring in Wilco louw, a front row of 1. Thomas 2. Marx 3. Wilco would also be real good.

Dec 07, 2021, 19:23

Yes Koch is solid but I prefer the likes of Wilco and Thomas

I’d be using Ox and Kitshoff as looseheads as we are. Malherbe and Nyakane as the tightheads but Wilco needs more games at tighthead and Thomas can be used on both sides

We need to rotate the props more - all 6 are world class

Same applies to our hookers - Dweba needs to be given more game time

Dec 07, 2021, 21:03

Prop is probably the least urgent place to expand depth and Thomas is already into the mix...few other positions are more in need of depth. 

Dec 07, 2021, 21:03

Prop is probably the least urgent place to expand depth and Thomas is already into the mix...few other positions are more in need of depth. 

Dec 07, 2021, 22:34

I think we have depth in every position with flyhalf being the least obvious but options are there.

Also our centre stock is very good around the late 20’s range but not as apparent yet in the U25 range because the current stock of centres have occupied the spots. But there are a good few U20 and U23 centres that have had a taste of provincial rugby and we need to see these guys making big impressions soon

Rickus Pretorious Similane Marnus Potgieter James Mollentze Henco v Wyk Stedman Gans Matt Moore David Kellerman Luke Russouw Zwelendaba

I’m really disappointed we have lost Dylan Richardson to Scotland - this guy was the next big thing at openside for the Boks - him at 6 and Evan Roos at 8 was a mouth watering prospect

Rassie and co need to be far more vigilant when it comes to making sure we keep out young talent tied up with the Boks - Richardson is only 22 and Townsend was clever enough to cap off the bench against Japan

Dec 08, 2021, 23:13

Besides the obvious money lure in NH, there is also the big political influence in SA. This leaves our good young talent no other choice but to leave, instead of being subject to abnormal rules and regulations. So in many ways R&N can be as vigilant as they want, the end result is most probably out of there hands. Or not??

Dec 08, 2021, 23:26

Nothing stops Rassie capping a worthy youngster off the bench to secure his services for the Boks - much like Scotland have done with Sharks openside Dylan Richardson. They gave him game time off the bench against Japan and in the process making sure he is now sadly lost to the Boks

Rassie has to be far more vigilant and ruthless when it comes to securing the services of our players that leave to play abroad

To think, we have missed out on Duhan vd Merwe, Paul Willemse, Pierre Schoeman, Ollie Kebble, Dylan Richardson and Bernard le Roux - all good test players

Given the present climate of so many of our youngsters leaving, we need to be selfish and make sure we don’t lose them to other countries.

Thankfully the qualifying period to play for another country has been extended from 3 to 5 years. That’s more than enough time to determine whether a foreign based SA player is worth capping

Dec 09, 2021, 00:04

Dylan is definitely a loss for us, atleast some of us Ruckers think so. Wonder if Rassie even seen/thought of him as a talent? The lack of Vision, not only in player selection but coaching and game execution, is definitely not what a person would except from a rugby Genius. I concur that R&N needs to catch a quick wake up, time is running out to the next WC and I don’t think we will win it with stampkar,desperate, grinding style rugby alone. We also need our backline to function on all cylinders.

Dec 09, 2021, 00:18

Nothing wrong with Rassie’s coaching - he is the best in the business evidenced by our number 1 ranking

Only fools keep questioning his value and credentials - he is the best coach the Boks have had

He does need to improve on his identification of foreign based players - Wiese is hardly the measure

It would be alarming if Rassie was not aware of the talents of Dylan

My guess is that they have Kolisi, Kwagga and v Staaden as their three openside choices and therefore were indifferent to the potential loss of Richardson to Scotland

A big mistake in my books - Richardson is a better prospect than v Staaden and at 22 would have represented a long term investment

Dec 09, 2021, 15:19

Every good coach have there limitations. Like I said before, Rassie did well with scrum, kicking and grinding out a game, but attacking backline play is not his strong suit. As a good coach and leader, you should have the ability to change these things, even if it means that you get help to further the big cause. The coaching/coaching staff is not balanced as Swys is not there anymore and nobody was hired to replace him.

Dec 10, 2021, 00:21

Bullshit in some games we showed some good attacking play in the backs

Dec 10, 2021, 03:12

In some games yes, more in the beginning when swys was still there and Pollard regularly, still attacked the gain line. The latter part right up to the loss to England, shows the lack of Coaching skills in some areas, very clearly.

You need to Log in to reply.