Time wasting team talks, England caught napping

Forum » Rugby » Time wasting team talks, England caught napping

Mar 01, 2021, 13:27

So, lots of controversy here in England over some referee blunders, but it  is not the first time during a test match that a team got caught out. 

Who would forget the boks first loss in many years against Ireland when John Smit turned around to talk to his men, only for a sneaky irishman to take a quick tap and score which led to the irish recording a famous win Dublin. 

That said, England was on the receiving end, but you would have thought that they would have learned their lesson only to be caught napping yet again when the welsh 9 took another quick tap to score. 

I for one think that this culture of, talk to your men should end. So many teams play negative and slow the game down in their own 22. The all blacks are masters at this and how often would you see 3 or 4 penalties, then the talk to your team which allows them to reset and catch their breath. 

My view is that this needs to end, they are professional players that should know the rules. Best time to talk to your men is either berfore , break or after the tame. Resets, scrums line outs or scrums or when you are standing under your post while the other team attempts a conversion. 

So, well done Wales for speeding the game up and look for dropped heads through out the game to make the most of it. 

One thing that school boys learn and even when I use to play back then was that you never turn your back, always alert. 

Lets hope we can end this silly talk to your team nonsense and have more game time on the field rather than stupid water boys running on to soak up time 

Mar 01, 2021, 15:59

I am not sure about this one.   some times the refs ask the captains to talk to their teams - like happened in that Springbok-Irish test you referred to.    

The situation with  the scrummie try on Saturday was different - the ref indicates a penalty  and when he blew the whistle the scrummie took a tap from the right position - while the sluggish  English players were still getting up from the maul and the scrummie faced really no defenders and scored.   

In essence I agree with  you that team talks during the match are BS - unless the referee instructed the captains to talk to their players,   

Mar 01, 2021, 22:18

The first try came when the ref had asked Farrell to talk to the team. He now concedes both of the first two tries should never have been given. Very helpful ! 

Mar 01, 2021, 22:22

Useless ref

Mar 01, 2021, 22:58

He was very, very poor ! 

You need to Log in to reply.