Well done Scotland . . .

Forum » Rugby » Well done Scotland . . .

Mar 27, 2021, 00:13

Scotland beat France 27-23 . . . and Wales are Six Nations Champions!

Cymru am byth!

Mar 27, 2021, 00:15

Great game

vd Merwe scoring two tries

Talk of this French side being the next big thing is a pipe dream

Mar 27, 2021, 00:18

Excellent championship, plenty of excitement and drama right to the end. France will be kicking themselves for not kicking that ball out of play at the end when the championship was gone but the game was won.

Mar 27, 2021, 02:03

The current Scotland team is the best they have ever fielded, at least since I have watched rugby.

The Northern Hemisphere has improved a lot in general, but only in recent years have Scotland become so good.

France needs to be more consistent to win the next world cup. 

Mar 27, 2021, 02:46

France won’t win the next WC - they have some good players but not across the board but they always blow hot and cold and are never consistent

Mar 27, 2021, 08:50

The next WC is 2 years off, so they might get lucky still...their luck/bad-luck at WC's are epic.:D

Mar 27, 2021, 08:54

Scotty has been good for a few seasons now, but they lost badly against Japan at the RWC...how good was that Japanese side really? They beat a very good Irish team too....yet South Africa dispatched them easily in the quarters, as we did in the warm-up match.

Mar 27, 2021, 11:36

That Jap side where bloody brilliant in the WC they played beautiful rugby

The Boks just physically beat them into submission. First half was here have the ball and come at us and take a beating.

By the second half all resolve and belief had been squeezed out of them

Master tactician our Rassie

Mar 27, 2021, 16:03

Yeah but that first try really wasn’t a try, was it ? ;)

Mar 28, 2021, 03:49

France had the game won a few times....and made critical mistakes and unbelievably dumb decisions. French fans really have my sympathies.

Duhan scored two tries but enabled two Scottish tries....a mixed bag. I doubt he will get the Lions starting role.

Mar 28, 2021, 07:42

"Duhan scored two tries but enabled two Scottish tries...."

So according to Moffie Duhan van der Merwe scored 2 of Scotland's tries and enabled 2 others. 

Well, quite how he assisted Dave Cherry's try is anyone's guess but Scotland only scored 3 tries in total so you have to wonder what game the drunken old fool was watching!

LMAO!

Mar 28, 2021, 11:19

Duhan has made the 6N team of the tournament with the most tries scored and in the top three for metres gained and defenders beaten

He will walk the Lions starting side especially against a very physical Bok side

Mar 28, 2021, 14:23

I was wrong about Duhan vd Merwe, he did not only beat more defenders than any other player in the 6N he beat BOD’s 2000 record of 30 defenders beating in the competition, clocking up 31

Yeah Moz, most tries scored and a record number of defenders beaten and you say he won’t make the Lions starting 15 because of his one over commitment in defence leading to the French try

Wow Moz you and your rugby takes take the cake seriously

Mar 29, 2021, 01:56

Time will tell....he also got hopelessly gassed by the young Welshman.

Mar 29, 2021, 02:27

Saffy is very funny, no context to numbers. No evaluation. I trust Moz more because he picks up on details. Saffy is the same person who said that Morne's 80% tackle efficiency wasn't good enough, nor his superior try and attacking stats to the pretenders and other records making him the most successful and highly decorated 10 in Bok history. All emotional bluster, and that's why he is almost always wrong on everything. If &Dugan has the support of Herr Omlett and Saffy, this may be a turning point in his career :D

Mar 29, 2021, 16:36

Should we not call them the Scotboks given Ollie Kebble did a brilliant cameo, made some strong carries in the french 22 to suck in defenders and probably help created the space for Duhan to create the 2nd try. 

Dam shame we never capped him for the boks. Would love to have a big speedy winger to compliment our current wings. 

Probably wrong shade

Mar 29, 2021, 16:55

Big certainly....speedy, not so sure. Zammit and Penaud were the best wings on view on the 6 Nations.

Mar 29, 2021, 18:22

Your take on Zammit skinning him is nonsense but it’s a given that Zammit is faster than Duhan

I did not know how fast Duhan was until I saw that sprint in for the try he scored mid way in the 6N.

I was impressed he could move that quickly for a 110kg plus brute

More than enough pace for a wing, but his game is more about power

Best wings in the 6N in order were Duhan, Zammit then Watson

Mar 29, 2021, 18:33

I was enthusiastic about Duhan based on some highlights I saw. But I lost elevation as the 6 Nations tournament went on. Not particularly good under the high ball, slow thinking....apt to go missing if not fed the ball. Certainly he is going to take some stopping 5 metres out, but he is no Lomu.

Then there’s defense....which frankly is not that good. It was a poor miss for the Frog try. Most Team of the Six Nations reporters prefer Watson.

Would I pick him ahead of Mapimpi....probably not.

Mar 29, 2021, 20:37

I’d pick him ahead of Mapimpi but not ahead of Nkosi and Kolbe

One miss because of an over commit does not define his defence

Disagree about him under the high ball I don’t recall a single poor effort

You don’t score the most tries in the 6N playing for a 4th placed side being inactive

I completely disagree with your take, he was often the go to running an angle off a set piece and often found himself looking for work on his other wings side

Sorry Moz you are speaking crap - your take on Duhan is about as accurate as your take on PSDT

You don’t break the all time 6N defenders beaten and score the most tries playing for Scotland being as average as you make him out to be

But no surprise here Moz we all know you watch a completely different game to all of us

The game you watch is not called rugby

You simply can’t argue agains Duhan’s stats this 6N, one of which is record breaking. Not bad breaking BOD’s defenders beaten record

Mar 29, 2021, 21:43

Nkosi is just a promise....Mapimpi has at least accomplished something.

The ranking among the experts you so admire appears to be Watson, May, Adams, Liam Williams,  Wuhan.

Dave you won’t be satisfied until we have props on the wing, you have learned nothing from Cheslin Kolbe.

Mar 29, 2021, 21:50

Saffex, you must remember, stats are only important to Moffie when they support a player he likes. If the stats favour a Duhan van der Merwe or a Pieter-Steph du Toit then they're a waste of time.

Moffie should rather stick to his weight group when it comes to rugby. Omlett and Baboon-ou are about his level.

Mar 29, 2021, 21:55

Oh shame Rooipeepie has crawled out of his bottle.

Mar 29, 2021, 23:58

No that is not the rankings of the experts - the experts have selected Duhan on the wing in the team of the 6N, which means he is ranked 1st or 2nd amongst the 6N wings

Nkosi is far better than Mapimpi in every regard

The only reason Nkosi found himself behind Mapimpi is because he only made it back from injury in time for the WC.

Mar 30, 2021, 00:00

Rooi - Moz watches a different game to us

He will now attack Duhan forever more

He was a big fan a few months ago

Apparently scoring the most tries in the 6N playing for lowly Scotland or beating BOD’s defenders beaten record is not good enough for Moz

Go figure

Mar 30, 2021, 02:40

Mapimpi is the best and most complete SA wing, and especially the most intelligent. Nkosi was good in 2019, not great. Defence and passivity are problems. 

Mar 30, 2021, 06:45

British Lions first team:

Sky sports:

15 Stuart Hogg (Scotland); 14 Anthony Watson (England), 13 Garry Ringrose (Ireland), 12 Manu Tuilagi (England), 11 Josh Adams (Wales); 10 Finn Russell (Scotland), 9 Tomos Williams; 1 Cian Healy (Ireland), 2 Ronan Kelleher (Ireland), 3 Kyle Sinckler (England), 4 Maro Itoje (England), 5 Alun Wyn Jones (Wales, captain)

Planet Rugby:

Our Lions team: 15 Stuart Hogg, 14 Liam Williams, 13 Jonathan Davies, 12 Robbie Henshaw, 11 Louis Rees-Zammit, 10 Jonathan Sexton, 9 Conor Murray, 8 Taulupe Faletau, 7 Justin Tipuric, 6 Tadhg Beirne, 5 Alun Wyn Jones (c), 4 Maro Itoje, 3 Tadhg Furlong, 2 Ken Owens, 1 Rory Sutherland
Replacements: 16 Jamie George, 17 Joe Marler, 18 Kyle Sinckler, 19 James Ryan, 20 Josh Navidi, 21 Gareth Davies, 22 Dan Biggar, 23 Henry Slade

amie Roberts' Lions XV to face South Africa

15 Stuart Hogg (Scotland), 14 Anthony Watson (England), 13 George North (Wales), 12 Robbie Henshaw (Ireland), 11 Josh Adams (Wales), 10 Dan Biggar (Wales), Conor Murray (Ireland); Wyn Jones (Wales), Ken Owens (Wales), Tadhg Furlong (Ireland), Alun Wyn Jones (Wales), Tadhg Beirne (Ireland), Hamish Watson (Scotland), Tom Curry (England), Taulupe Faletau (Wales).

Charlie Inglefield:

Hogg, Watson and Liam Williams in the back three

This is another area of strength for the British and Irish Lions. There are many contenders not least the exciting emergence of Louis Rees-Zammit. This is Stuart Hogg’s time after two previous Lions tours. He is a consistent shining beacon of industry and attacking intent for Scotland. Hogg would work well with the twinkle-toed Anthony Watson, who has been criminally underused by England in recent years. The other wing position is very difficult to call. There are the likes of Jonny May, Josh Adams, Duhan van der Merwe, James Lowe and Keith Earls.

Sport Joe

Current Lions XV pecking order (back-up option in brackets)

15. Stuart Hogg (Liam Williams)
14. Louis Rees-Zammit (Keith Earls)
13. George North (Chris Harris)
12. Robbie Henshaw (Jonathan Davies)
11. Josh Adams (Duhan van der Merwe)
10. Johnny Sexton (Dan Biggar)
9. Conor Murray (Gareth Davies

And then there is Jim Telfer, the legendary coach who makes exactly the same points about Wuhan that I made.....stick with moz:

I hesitate to say too much about individual Scots and their aspirations to tour with the Lions but I hope we should get perhaps five or six players in the wider squad including Stuart Hogg and Finn Russell. I wouldn’t select him for his poor defence but Duhan van der Merwe may go given his raw speed and power. Rory Sutherland, Hamish Watson and Jamie Ritchie can all keep their fingers crossed. Ritchie played his best game this season for Scotland against France but only after a relatively quiet Six Nations. Still only 24, he would benefit more than most by touring with the Lions.’

‘poor defence’....spot on Jim.....Cheslin would make a monkey out of the big lump.

Mar 30, 2021, 14:29

Well, I have been fan of Duhan for some time. I have to agree with Dave that you simply don't become the top try scorer. Especially when you have to work your way over the try line rather than just jogging across with no one in-front of you.

Mar 30, 2021, 15:31

I’m just pulling Dave’s leg...Duhan is a powerful wing and will be a menace to defend if he’s in the Lions squad. But like other big wings, Lomu for example, he isn’t that good once turned, nor for a big chap is he authoritative under the high ball. And I don’t think his tackling is reliable.

So it’s  a mixed bag. There will be a lot of pressure on Gatland to choose among Liam Williams, Adams, Watson and May....it’s not clear Wuhan will be picked.

Mar 30, 2021, 16:41

Yeah, not really seen him being tested with balls in behind him or in the air. That has always been a good ploy to get the big wingers to turn around and tire them out. 

The only player that I thought was amazing under the high ball was Isreal Falou

Mar 30, 2021, 17:21

That’s not the sides I have seen and it makes no sense that on form Josh Adams gets a starting spot - good wing but had a very quiet 6N

Mar 30, 2021, 18:52

Folau was money under the high ball. Habana was flawless too. 

Mar 30, 2021, 19:14

Aplon and Cheslin is absolutely fearless under the high balls too. I actually thought his diminutive hight would count against Cheslin when competing under the high ball...boy was I wrong!

Mar 30, 2021, 19:24

Aplon was much stronger in contact. Took on Muliaina, Nonu and Rocokoco, knocking them back with ease for the Boks. Their plan to dominate him physically failed spectacularly. Something about the coloureds, tend to be much stronger than the black backs despite often weighing in the 77-85kg bracket. 

Mar 30, 2021, 20:23

Most resilient physique I've seen...hard as nails, string as steel...:P...Kaapse manne is duidelik lekke!

Mar 30, 2021, 20:29

His mom drives a Ford.:ermm: She must be tough too.:D

Mar 30, 2021, 20:52

Aplon was kak - Kolbe is a beast thanks to now being built like a brick shithouse

Far far more physical than non physical Aplon

Mar 30, 2021, 21:09

You cannot leave Louis Rees-Zammit out...he is a star in the making. Duhan too .I think the 6 nations (minus 2 being France and Italy) has a great pool of choice. It's lovely to see Scots players that imo oust Englands individually...an unheard of situation but also Wales and Ireland. England 

players seem to got stale in conformity. They seem to have problems of  too much conformity except for a few standouts..

I think the great Lions team under Willie John Mc Bride (ireland) had a good dose of Welsh players also Gordon Brown and "Mighty Mouse" McLaughlin (Scotland) if my memory serves me right.

I surmise this Lions team will test the Boks to the utmost.

Mar 30, 2021, 21:24

!974 Lions team comprised of the following...but what a side

Fullbacks:

Wings:

Centres:

Flyhalves:

Scrumhalves:

Forwards[edit]

Hookers

Props

Locks

Loose Forwards

Mar 30, 2021, 21:25

"Aplon was kak - Kolbe is a beast thanks to now being built like a brick shithouse"

Ag no man Dave, Aplon was much underrated...hard as nails...I prefer Kolbe too, but Appels punched way above his weight....better than Kirschner IMO.

Mar 30, 2021, 21:32

"Pocket Rocket "Aplon and Kolbe are of the same dynamite...they box well above their weight...coloured players produce incredible players...nimble, tough and courageous.

Mar 30, 2021, 21:47

Nope never rated him, he was just too small

I much preferred Kirchner

Mar 30, 2021, 21:53

That's your prerogative...but I never rated Kirchner after 2009/2010...he was really good over those 2 seasons ...and really poor thereafter.

Mar 30, 2021, 21:57

Yeah Kirchner had his moments

Mar 30, 2021, 22:05

2 kgs difference Dave:, Kolbe 80kg, Aplon 78 kg.??

Woolly Boolly Kirchner had his moments but not imho opinion did not have the same rugby "nous".

Please explain why...I respect your opinion.

Mar 30, 2021, 22:23

Well as usual we are way off course...Well done Scotland. I can understand why Rooi , being an avid Welsh fan is overjoyed.

Which I echo...Scotland is producing the goods...it's been a long hard struggle for the tough brave and determined Scots...I have a lot of respect for these tough, practical and resilient people..I hope it continues which I suspect will...Scot's rugby is relatively minor but their heart is big..

On France, I don't read much into this...the French team is damn good and young and will learn from mistakes...the youngsters a few years back were brilliant...I don't think this side will take on a fly by night style...the coming years experience will mould this side into a world beater. Just too much talent and pain from previous mistakes. I certainly would not write France off...remember NZ 2011 WC only one point and this side is a few notches higher.

Mar 31, 2021, 16:39

France are at their best when they have a powerful backrow. That's the key. 

Mar 31, 2021, 16:59

I wouldn't write France off just yet.  They seem to have a decent pack and quality backs. However, they still need to become more consistent. 

Look where the boks were under Coetzee, Rassie also had a poor start winning only 50/50 of his matches, but they were close ones and then also that dodgy test against wales in the US. 

Jump forward a year, Rassie beating Aus and Arg with the B team. Draw with the all blacks, championship trophy and then a wobble against the ABs before clinching the world cup against and very good England team that destroyed the all blacks the week before. 

So 2 years is long in terms of Rugby. But I'm quite excited about the next world cup. Especially since it is on my door step

Mar 31, 2021, 20:00

Tend to agree with you...the next WC won't be a collective opinion...a few surprises ahead8-)

Mar 31, 2021, 22:46

Just watched the highlights. That red card for the fend, farcical. Tackle lower if you don't want an elbow in your windpipe.

You need to Log in to reply.