What Frans Steyn did for us

Forum » Rugby » What Frans Steyn did for us

Nov 02, 2019, 23:45

Rassie Erasmus never mixed his words when he spoke about his 6 - 2 split.

Our forwards smashed, lambasted, walloped and kicked every opponent into the ground.

This was possible because 6 of the 8 forwards gave it their all for 50 - 60 minutes before being replaced by fresh, hard, fast and aggressive bench warmers.

We were able to do this split because Rassie had Frans Steyn in his armory.

Having Steyn on the bench effectively meant we had a good backup for 4 positions in the back line.
His being able to cover so many positions gave us a HUGE advantage.

Here's to Rassies brain and Frans Steyn.

Fransie Steyn deserved his 2nd RWC winning medal.

Nov 02, 2019, 23:50

Brilliant point Chip-OU. A lesser observer wouldn't  have grasped this subtle point. It wasn't until Frans came on that the  Poms really knew they were licked.

Nov 03, 2019, 00:19

Disagree because Frans is now slow and lacks agility. He was exposed against the Argies but thankfully he never spent much time on the field in the vital games to be exposed

I would much have preferred the far more creative and speedy Willemse to cover the Steyn role

Willemse is comfortable at 10, 12 or 15

We got away with having Frans in the end

Nov 03, 2019, 00:39

thanks for your input Saffex.

Nov 03, 2019, 00:46

My pleasure as always Chip!!!

Nov 03, 2019, 01:59

Frans was good enough to mop up after, another, Damian gaff around our 22. Preventing an England try. No. Frans was our best 12 at this world cup. How like you those supporting runs by Mostert, lending power to the tame Damian carries? :D

Nov 03, 2019, 04:53

LMAO

Nov 03, 2019, 07:11

Love him or loath him, Steyn is exactly the reason Rassie was able to do what he did. The younger chaps time will come now.

Nov 03, 2019, 09:14

Well put chippo.

That’s exactly what happened.

Long live Frans Steyn.

Nov 03, 2019, 09:45

Congrats Chopped ou on stating the very obvious. 

That said I am still not convinced about how good Steyn currently is. Never saw enough of him. 

Nov 03, 2019, 09:47

We saw enough. 

Nov 03, 2019, 09:54

Who is we. Frans need a full game against top opposition. When did that happen. Oops it never did. 

Nov 03, 2019, 09:58

We saw enough. The sight of Mostert - supposedly pap - driving Damian forward was a sad sight. Esterhuizen does better on his own, and he distributes. Frans too is better. Mopped up after the Damian tackle fail in our 22. 

Nov 03, 2019, 10:08

Beeno

Steyn was used in the main as back-up given a limited time coming from the bench in tests  against the stronger teams we had to play in the WC and starting in minnow games.  In all the games he did play against minnows he had one good move and was a problem in defense, never to be rated higher than 6/10

Mozart and AO made a huge noise about the issue and was silly in the extreme.    The game yesterday was probably the last test Steyn played in for 12 minutes after he replaced Le Roux and if you read what Mozart and co said about the match one would think he was critically involved in the game - he was not involved at all in any of the tries scored - but Mozart as expected gave him a huge write-up.   What a farce.  

AO is still pushing Esterhuizen as a player ahead of De Allende.  LMAO     

Nov 03, 2019, 10:10

I identified but one incident: Frans cleaning up after a Damian missed tackle in our 22. Stopping tries is important, especially when closing out the game - refer to Ellis Park 2018 against die Schwarzwelle. :D

Nov 03, 2019, 10:10

It's all very sad Mike to see great posters having a poor run of form. :'(

Nov 03, 2019, 10:27

One cannot even remember that the wonderful tackle Steyn made after De Allende missed it - must be another concoction of total BS dreamed up by the fool.   I expected that the poor two at least could admit that they were writing BS on site like Pakie did when he said he was wrong about things - Mozart and AO still keep on in writing total BS on site.   

Nov 03, 2019, 10:31

Ah, the "I'm going to pretend it didn't happen" card. To think, you are nearly three times my age! It doesn't show. :D

Nov 03, 2019, 12:18

Never said that - but nobody bar you mentioned that as  game changer.   So what is needed here is that you stop being childish and start thinking for a change.  LOL.  

Nov 03, 2019, 12:28

You really need to clean up your grammar Lügnerin. It reads like something from The Colour Purple. Perhaps you are working excerpts from your own magnum opus onto Ruckers: The Colour Brown. 

Nov 03, 2019, 23:33

Frans did nothing of note all WC and was thoroughly exposed in the Argie test pre the WC

de Allende was not twice the player Frans was this WC he was 10 times the player.

It’s like comparing Pollard to Morne Steyn

Nov 04, 2019, 02:44

Damian was a carthorse with no skills. How embarrassing it was that "useless" Frans was on hand to take down the runner Damian flubbed in our 22 in the final. It sums up the gulf between the two; Damian's prime is unworthy to occupy the shadow of a twilight-years Frans. 

Nov 04, 2019, 02:55

The Springboks won the World Cup

Team of the Year  -   Springboks

Coach of the Year -  Erasmus

Player of the Year -  Du  Toit

Idiot of the Year  -   AO aka Liza Page aka a dozen other User Names 

Co-Idiot of the Year - Mozart aka Shifty Schiff-Strzok

Nov 04, 2019, 02:55

Nov 04, 2019, 02:56

Still firing blanks. You come off as the Aids Skrillex of Bok rugby! :D

Nov 04, 2019, 02:58

Nov 04, 2019, 02:58

Nov 04, 2019, 06:13

Allende had to make 2 open field tackles on backs....one on an isolated May on the English goal line. He makes that tackle we likely score.The second on Watson running up the right flank in a potential try scoring position. 

Allende misses both tackles, but fortunately Frans stops Watson.

Allende is given credit for his defence, but he remains very vulnerable in space or when some anticipation is required. 

Nov 04, 2019, 09:58

Frans missed that tackle technically as well - but Watson went down and  not held could have gotten up and went on the score a try had it not been for Du Toit who caused Watson to knock on the ball in the process, 

When describing a scene on the site - please for a change be correct in what you wrote.   .      

Nov 04, 2019, 11:33

Not only vulnerable in space, but he still lacks upper body strength. It's amazing how one game changes everyone's perception of reality. Now Damian "rediscovered" his game. He never had it in the first place, and didn't have it at this world cup. We are a team hamstrung by mediocrity. If we could only select our very best, we'd literally be unstoppable right now. But, that's South Africa, wasting its potential on superficial feel-good nonsense. 

Nov 04, 2019, 11:52

AO

You remain the expert in writing BS on site.   It has been going on for years.   Remember that incident when Steyn landed on his arsehole on the grass when he tried to tackle De Allende - not once - but twice in the same game?

And how many tacklers does it take to bring De Allende - routinely two or three and he always manage to get the ball back while going forwards in the tackle.   How many tackles does he make causing the ball carrier to go backwards when tackled and how many possession turnovers has he affected in games?   That from a player you dimwit called having weak upper body strength.  How stupid can this idiot get??????????       

Nov 04, 2019, 11:52

Duplication

Nov 04, 2019, 11:56

Oh what utter crap - that was no tackle by Frans, again his agility is exposed, he somehow gets one hand on Watson in I kind of hand trip.

Frans was exposed by Watson it was a fluke he got him down

What a load of utter shit - you highlight de Allende’s missed tackles what about all the huge ones he put in?

What about all his carries into traffic so effective poor Ford was shown the exit

de Allende was huge all WC, as Greenwood said - vital to our WC

Frans Steyn did absolutely nothing all WC - not a single thing of note

Frans is past it and it showed, great player in his day but that was more than 5 years ago

PSDT, Vermeulen, Faf, Pollard, de Allende and Kolbe were our stars this WC

Nov 04, 2019, 12:04

Which "huge" tackles? Damian was very often driven forward by a forward. A couple of burrows into the line - his primary weapon is the mole burrow. Damian was not vital, but one of the reasons why our backplay was so putrid throughout the World Cup. Another whose absence upgrades the team. He remains a myth. 

@Lügnerin: I'm still waiting for you to reference one instance of the mythical Steph production. Can it be that you are emotionally attached to him for no reason whatsoever? How sad. 

Nov 04, 2019, 12:19

de Allende was huge all WC - vital in our go forward

Nov 04, 2019, 12:42

If he was as you say, then it'll be no trouble whatsoever to reference something. How can it be that you are so devout in your belief, yet have no reason for that belief? Your entrenched circular thinking is not a good look. 

Nov 04, 2019, 12:52

Co-Idiot of the Year - Mozart aka Shifty Schiff-Strzok.

Nov 04, 2019, 13:02

It’s evidenced in every game he has played this WC what more do you want

His physicality has been huge

I’m sure it was you who said de Allende was not strong physically was it not?

That is how fucking stupid and ignorant you are

Nov 04, 2019, 13:05

What more do I want? One piece of evidence. I'm telling you it's not there. 

I said Damian is weak in the upper body, I have been correct. Hence his burrows when he runs. Opponents have been using his leg drive off a weak shoulder against him more recently, sending him sideways. Perhaps why Rassie, in all his genius, assigned a forward to lend power to his carries. Something Esterhuizen does better on his own, better than the combined efforts of Damian and the supporting forward. 

Nov 04, 2019, 13:07

Shit - this is unbelievable - really so.

Co-Idiot of the Year - Mozart aka Shifty Schiff-Strzok.

Duplicate

Duplicate

Nov 04, 2019, 13:10

Fuck you make me laugh

Aug you really are an idiot

de Allende is weak - wow

Case closed idiot

You are an even bigger yawn than Clean Cut

de Allende is weak - bwhaaahaaaaa

Nov 04, 2019, 14:46

Dave 

I mentioned that AO idiot's comments on weak upper body strength  of De Allende to one of the Springbok squad members and the player nearly fell of the chair laughing.    I also mentioned Du Toit and their comments on him in the same conversation in December last year and he looked at me and said that people making that kind of statements are imbeciles - his own words.

That sums it up neatly and any other comments are laughable.      

Nov 05, 2019, 20:33

Dave how come you have such a hard-on for Frans Steyn, yet you are all over that dismal failure Elton Jantjies.

Is Elton part of the family or what.

Don't come with the BS that Elton did this or that to win a game for the Springboks he has been one gigantic overrated player at test level from day one.......all he has got is a silly hairstyle and Cape art all over his body and a brown skin.

Lambie as a fly-half was more talented than Elton in case you did not know.

Give credit when it is due and be honest when they are a disaster like Elton.

Now before you call me a racist, bigot and tell me to F...O....when Elton first came onto the scene I thought he was going to be the one to save Springbok rugby but I soon realized that he was not an international class player but SR and Currie cup was his standard at best.

Frans has been a player who has earned respect both at SR, Currie cup and test levels only you are not man enough to see it or admit it.

Rassie saw the talent this guy has that is why he was included in the squad. Elton was selected only because Willemse was nursing a injury and was on call up if and when required.

Willemse should have been in the original squad instead of Elton as he is able to cover at 15, 13 or 12 and 10 just like Frans.

Nov 06, 2019, 00:09

If you actually read my posts you would realise that I have said that while Elton is creatively our most talented 10 he lacks the hard edge to merit starting him. So stop speaking shit about my takes.

Frans Steyn is a hasbeen and has been that for some years now. He is slow and pedestrian and lacks the agility to get into position quick enough when required to as was the case when the Argie 12 slipped past him with ease exposing Frans for the old man he is.

All Frans now does is target a player and run straight at him. Too old and slow to try beat a defender.

There is a reason Frans can’t make the Montpellier starting side these days.

I hope this helps

Frans was brilliant in his day, he is rubbish now

Nov 06, 2019, 06:49

Thanks you.

Nov 06, 2019, 09:34

Actually ... Frans Steyn was given a lovely holiday in Japan.

He shouldn't have been there to begin with ... but one can say the same of Beast. Bongi, Kolisi, Vermeulen, Jantjies, Louw, Tank, Brits, and Gelant.

His spot was wasted on him.

Nov 06, 2019, 10:17

You guys talking about The Two Time?

Nov 06, 2019, 10:24

???

Nov 06, 2019, 11:10

You guys talking about The Two Time?

:D I fink they is, yeh.

Nov 06, 2019, 16:41

I knew it Paks.

The Two Time! What a legend.

One medal is more than most get. But two? Two, I tell you.

Nov 07, 2019, 18:31

OK, blond moment from me...Fransie was yster...as was Os 12 years ago.

Nov 07, 2019, 20:31

Obviously think that Steyn was very lucky to get selected in the squad because of the injury tp Willemse/   He actually started in two matches against the minnows and was on the bench in other games.   No real top class performances - but when he did play he was slightly above average - so let him enjoy the gold medal;

He is extremely unlikely to play any further tests for SA - so best of luck for him in future,       

Nov 07, 2019, 20:31

Obviously think that Steyn was very lucky to get selected in the squad because of the injury tp Willemse/   He actually started in two matches against the minnows and was on the bench in other games.   No real top class performances - but when he did play he was slightly above average - so let him enjoy the gold medal;

He is extremely unlikely to play any further tests for SA - so best of luck for him in future,       

Nov 07, 2019, 22:32

Fair enough Maaik...I haven't supported Fransie as a Bok starter for 4 years, but as an experienced bench player in a tournament like the RWC, his experience is worh gold...Flo too, although he is good enough to start too...I don't see them hanging around for the Lions Tour, but you never know.

Nov 07, 2019, 22:55

Erasmus was smart enough to acknowledge that Elton Jantjies is useless, in one move he played the political card by including him in the squad and with the same sleight of mind he bought into Frans Steyn as an alternative to Pollard. I mentioned this very early in an earlier post. Jantjies was never going to play in the big games, not even off the bench. Fortunately, Pollard stayed injury free.....oh I know some scribes on here will be squealing this and that about Frans but sorry piglets that's the truth of the matter. 

Suck it up.

You need to Log in to reply.