What if SA rugby had a draft?

Forum » Rugby » What if SA rugby had a draft?

Nov 15, 2022, 17:06

I recently watched the SAT20 draft and it became obvious which players had real value and which players were there purely for political reasons. 

What I liked about it was that it was foreign investors who wasn't going to let the government dictate to them who to pick. 

What if SA franchises did something similar. We know how much budget they have, have a bidding process and be completely transparent. 

The only caveat is that Rugby is a grass roots game and teams have showed time and again that it starts from junior level and province or club benefits from having players that comes from their system.

So, I would say that teams can have 1st pick on home grown talent, make a bid but it is up to the player whether they want to accept it or be put forward for auction to get a better price. 

Those that don't get pick, will go into the draft and can then be bid on to get the best wage. 

I wonder if we will see less of the likes of Orie and more of true valued players. 

I do think the system is fair and if you don't perform, then you won't get selected. 

Might also be a way of keeping our best talent in the country. There will always be juniors coming through. 

It will also prevent provinces from hoarding talent. 

Those players who's contract ends can either go abroad or be put up for auction

Nov 15, 2022, 17:16

This sounds like something the Americans do. Interesting...

Nov 15, 2022, 18:36

Love the idea. But SARU won't buy in...

Maybe Temba Bavuma could out has name in to the mix for selection?

You need to Log in to reply.