What would your Springbok A team look like to face the lions

Forum » Rugby » What would your Springbok A team look like to face the lions

May 17, 2021, 12:05

So there are a  lot of 1 test cap boks abroad who is currenly showing a lot of good form. I just want to know from the rest who would you pick in that game Springbok A vs the lions. Probably the only the match that these guys will have to show there worth. 

Mine would be

1. Gkobo

2. Akker Van Der Merwe

3. Koch

4. RG Snyman

5. Jenkins

6. Van Staden

7. Jean Luke Du Preez

8. Dan Du Preez

9. Reinach

10 Willemse

11 Rhule

12 Esterhuizen

13 Ruhan Jansen Van Rensburgh

14 Cornel Hendriks

15 Leyds

Leyds and Rhule has been on fire for La rochelle all season. Cornel is probably the best bulls back at the moment. The du Preez twins has been making statement. Van staden has been really unlucky 

May 17, 2021, 14:03

Some interesting calls. The half backs let the team down. Very robust forwards. 

May 17, 2021, 14:26

That backline will go nowhere - two defense liabilities at center is not the way to go.   

May 17, 2021, 14:26

That backline will go nowhere - two defense liabilities at center is not the way to go.   

May 17, 2021, 14:32

Better defensive centres than the WC starting lineup. As evidenced by Frans bailing out Damian in another defensive flub gifting a try.

May 17, 2021, 15:16

Facts does not matter - imagined fiction will do - that is  all that KI is on about.  

May 18, 2021, 14:41

My test side would be:

15. Willie 14. Nkosi 13. Am 12. de Allende 11. Kolbe 10. Pollard 9. Faf 1. Kitshoff 2. Marx 3. Malherbe 4. Etzebeth 5. RG Snyman 6. Kolisi 7. PSDT 8. Vermeulen

16. Mbonambi 17. Thomas du Toit 18. Nyakane 19. Lood 20. Dan du Preez 21. H. Jantjies 22. Willemse 23. Jessie Kriel

So my Bok A side would be:

15. Fassi 14. Mapimpi 13. Janse v Rensburg 12. Serfontein 11. Gelant 10. Jantjies 9. Reinach 1. Ox Nche 2. Aker vd Merwe 3. Wilco Louw 4. Jenkins 5. Ruben v Heerden 6. Jaco Kriel 7. JL du Preez 8. Marcel Coetzee

16. Dweba 17. Pierre Schoeman 18. Sadie 19. Jacques du Plessis 20. Jaco Coetzee 21. Nohamba 22. Bosch 23. Esterhuizen

May 18, 2021, 19:12

Marcel Coetzee! :D

Fassi ahead of Gelant at 15. Mapimpi, the best Bok wing, demoted for Nkosi. Willemse and Jantjies on the bench, oh boy! 

May 18, 2021, 20:24

Omelette do you honestly think I give a flying toss what an ignorant twat like you thinks?

Seriously

May 18, 2021, 23:28

Yes I do. And you know it.

May 18, 2021, 23:46

Oh omelette in all seriousness I think the only thing that you have contributed on the rugby front that has had a hint of sense was when you had something positive to say about the du Preez twins

Failing that, what you come up with is the biggest load of shit I have ever read

So you work out how much credit I attribute to anything you say.

You also come across as a complete and utter prick but I might be wrong as thankfully we have never met

May 19, 2021, 13:40

why don't some of you that like to take pot shots at peoples selections either put your own team forward or counter it with logic and why you would replace it rather than being dicks about it. 

Come on, put something forward or fuckoff

May 19, 2021, 13:47

Mapimpi had an amazing game in the WC final, but not sure he is consistent. He scored a couple of lovely tries in Japan. However, he was completely exposed against the all blacks and were often out of   position. I do think he is a weakness on defence. Nkosi is a fantastic wing, both defences and attacking. Also shown some excellent arial skills 

Not heard of Reuben Van Heerden and Jaco Kriel has not been in action for a while. He even got dropped by Gloucestershire and had to come home early. So he is no for me. 

Marcel is a good pick, but I would want him in the bok 22. Can cover all the positions in the back row. 

Serfontein is good call at 12, probably better at Esterhuizen, but I have gone for bulk in the midfield. 

Jantjies is a good call at 10, but again, probably be in the bok 25 as backup flyhalf. 

I want to give Willemse some exposure, but looks like he is settling in at 15. 

Although, Gelant was showing some fantastic form before he was injured. 

Fassi is a tight call, but he got shut out by the bulls last week and young Kriel out played him. 

Lots of selection  headaches 

May 19, 2021, 14:20

Actually, it's the other way around. Nkosi has a long history of being caught out of position on defence. Nkosi and Dyantyi were the two primary culprits on the wing under Josè. Mapimpi is great, how much ball he gets is quite another, he can go as low as 0.2% of total team possession, and what possession he (and the other wings) get are usually without space. Our wings have two options on most possessions: 1.Kick, 2.Cut back inside and take the contact. Mapimpi is the most complete Bok wing by far.

Coetzee is too slow and lacks impact in contact. He has never made a mark at test level. 

Esterhuizen is the only Bok 12 who can change the way the opposition plays. He has singlehandedly shutdown entire back lines with his physicality and smart rushes. Has a good spatial awareness and the best passing game of all our centres. Links up well and is very calm under pressure. Can kick. Serfontein is a good reader of play, but too limited. He gets overwhelmed at 12 and is too slow for 13.

Correct, Willemse is a 15 only. I still don't think he has a high ceiling if potential. Overrated. 

May 19, 2021, 15:32

Get point Aug, as I said hard to select. So probably need a hardened back 3 like the Du Preez twin with van Staden as our 6. Both Du Preez twin has shown excellent lines of running and get in behind the defence, but also  can off load the ball in contact. Not a linking player like Notche who is better on the counter, but when will we get a chance to have space against Warren Gatlands lions. 

Serfontein is  an unknown as to how is doing at the moment. 

As for Willemse, seem to fall into the trap of being hyped up as a youngster. Too much skill but don't know when to unleash it. Probably not patient enough and tries to prove himself every time he touches the ball

May 21, 2021, 21:55

Don't think  Esterhuizen will be in any squad  - just  not good enough. for international rugby 

You need to Log in to reply.