Which players are left in SA

Forum » Rugby » Which players are left in SA

Jan 09, 2020, 21:23

Off hand these are the players left from last years Super rugby:

Sharks:

Fassi, Nkosi, Mapimpi, Am, Marius Louw, Bosch, Schreuder, Ruben v Heerden, Tyler Paul ,Thomas du Toit and Mtembu. They have gained Notshe, Tambwe, Ox Nche, Venter and Kumbari

They have lost:

Kobus v Wyk, Esterhuizen, Robert du Preez, Beast , Aker, Coenie, Ruan Botha, Jacques Vermeulen, Koeklenberg, JL du Preez and Dan du Preez

Bulls:

Gelant, Odendaal, Kotze, v Zyl, Papier, Nqoboka, Nyakane and v Staaden

They have lost:

Ismiel, Kriel, Pollard, Brits, Visagie, Lood, Jenkins, RG Snyman, Eli Snyman, Kirsten, Liebenberg, Roelof Smit and Vermeulen

Stormers:

Willemse, Pietersen, Lleyds, du Plessis, Jantjies, Kitshoff, Malherbe, Wilco Louw, JD Schickerling, PSDT, Kolisi, Jaco Coetzee, Mbonambi and Scara

They have lost:

EW Viljoen, de Allende,Josh Stander, Etzebeth, vd Walt, Notshe, Wiese and Carr

Lions:

Andries Coetzee, Skosan, Green, Jantjies, Dylan Smith, Jonker, Sadie, Orie, Herbst, Cyle Brink, Schoeman and gained Roelof Smit

They have lost:

Combrink, Dyantyi, Tambwe, Mapoe, Vorster, Groom, Marx, Lewies, Mostert, Lourens Erasmus and Kwagga

Most of the sides have lost far too many good players. It’s going to be a struggle for the SA sides unless some bright youngsters put their hands up

Jan 09, 2020, 22:23

As I mentioned on another thread, even new junior talent is going to be less than usual, given that clubs in France are now signing players straight out of Craven week along with Junior Boks

Some of the best talent has already left before even making a name for themselves in SuperRugby. With the 5-year test eligibility rule increasing from 3 to 5 years, if the players leave as teens they can still be eligible to represent other countries test teams - and I think will no longer count as a foreign player in the club squad. 

This is why we are now seeing an influx of geriatrics, as clubs no longer want them- and are not prepared to pay their pension plans. The experience of Fat Albert and Jannie Duplessis are just their to squeeze out what little budget SA teams have. 

So many of the teams are made up from some never will be's, hasbeens, no-name brands and surplus to requirements. 

SA no longer has the depth to assemble 4 SuperRugby teams, particularly in the backs. 

Jan 09, 2020, 22:45

Yep take the loss of our centres for instance - de Allende, Kriel, Serfontein, Janse v Rensburg, Esterhuizen, Frans Venter, Mapoe, EW Viljoen and Vorster all playing overseas now

Excluding Am and Odendaal these are the best centres SA has to offer with 9 of them now gone

Same applies to locks, we have lost Etzebeth, Lood, RG Snyman, Jason Jenkins, Ruan Botha, Mostert, Lewies, Lourens Erasmus, David Ribbans, Paul Willemse, Jean Kleyn, Koeklenberg, Eli Snyman and Stassen - it’s madness

How is SA meant to overcome these losses, it’s simply not possible

Most of these players are in their mid 20’s

Jan 09, 2020, 23:26

At least Dan Kriel is still available... no one overseas wants to buy him.

Jan 09, 2020, 23:29

He has moved again I think he has gone to the Lions

Jan 10, 2020, 00:50

Yes, the Lions were stupid enough to buy him. He is a joke is bad taste. 

Jan 10, 2020, 00:53

Not nearly as bad as signing Jannie and Alberts

Jan 10, 2020, 04:06

More reason to say bravo to all our outoppies returning to rugby's opgevokde Wild West.<3

Jan 10, 2020, 05:22

Now all we need is Boshof.....any calls for him as yet?

Jan 10, 2020, 07:54

This mass exodus makes room for the bog ordinary ... the dead average ... the simple Saturday afternoon club players to come though. We'll see an influx of the useless into our Currie Cup sides ... our Super Rugby squads ... and ... they'll start to infest the national side more so than they currently do.

The fans will grow accustomed to these chumps ... watching them play every weekend. With no one of note about, morons like Duh Dave will start telling us of their phenomenal skill sets.

He'll conjure a step off the left when there wasn't any ... as is usually the case with this idiot. He'll turn them into world beaters like he did Jantjies, JJ and Coenie ... even if they aren't ... and fawning gimps like Arthur will swallow his tall tales, claiming them as fact.

Next thing, we'll see Super Sport promoting these chumps ... trying to convince us all of their brilliance ... helping us accept them as our best choices for national duty ... as they did Esterhuizen, Am and Bongi  ... and dumb asses like Comrade Mike will fall for this.

Some of these hyped up chumps will make the Goats squad ... most of them will get mentioned in Duh Dave "wider spectrum squad" of 131. 

This is how it begins. Every year we'll see more and more talented youngsters leave ... it will become the norm among the young white boys ... they will look to the north to further their careers ... for citizenship else where ... the Goats will be reserved for the natives ... and no longer be a priority for the young white boys.

As each year passes, this country will regress further and further, confirming itself as a typical third world African shit hole. This will be all the incentive the young need to leave this racist place to natives ... and their Goats.

It's taken them 20 years to destroy our cricket team ... I wonder whether the Goats will still be in the top 8 by 2025?

Jan 10, 2020, 08:14

There's nothing you can do about a white player looking to further his career overseas. I read somewhere that there are 80% black players in our franchises. It is a numbers game and with the racist quota policymaking an impact it's just a matter of time before that 80% is reflected in the makeup of the Bok side and probably the run on franchise side. 

The times are not a changing, they have changed, not necessarily for the better but even so, there's no sense in constantly whining about it.....accept it for how it is an move on or support another team.

Your call. My call.

The Bok as you know it is dead.

Jan 10, 2020, 08:18

Oh do shut up, you ignorant fool.

Jan 10, 2020, 08:18

"Most of the sides have lost far too many good players. It’s going to be a struggle for the SA sides unless some bright youngsters put their hands up"

We've produced bright youngsters every year for over a century and a fair percentage of them always put their hands up. Why would this year be any different?

Sure we're losing a lot of good players but we're also creating opportunities for youngsters to fill the vacancies. In theory this should be good for the Springboks because we have an ever increasing pool of players competing in top level rugby.

Go Sharks!

Jan 10, 2020, 08:25

"Oh do shut up, you ignorant fool."

I will.....as soon as you stop barking.....Thug.

Jan 10, 2020, 08:37

And oh BTW, just how ignorant are you with your star pick......useless Boshof for Bok flyhalf

Bwhahahahaha

Any idea in which trash pile he landed?

Jan 10, 2020, 10:28

Yes the player loses have been bad for years now and are now devastating.

Thankfully we still have selector Dave who can use his amazing talent to select 60 world beaters from the locals. Hahaha. 

Yes Dense Denise pipe dow will ya. Your profound stupid is now legendary. 

HAHAHAHA 

Jan 10, 2020, 11:53

Rooi you miss my point, yes we have players leaving every year but never in these numbers.

I think too many have left in one hit and can’t see us being able to sustain the level when you consider how many of the not yet known youngsters who ideally would have filled the gaps have themselves left

I hope I’m wrong and we see a whole lot of youngsters step in and carry the momentum forward but it’s a tall ask

Jan 10, 2020, 13:37

Well, so now we have laaities, deciding to swap their boerwors rolls for baguettes and haggis. 

It looks like the French clubs especially are using the football by signing up 16 year olds into their academies. 

Which 16 old laaite would say no to that. I would have jumped at that opportunity to go abroad, make some good money and play rugby. 

Besides, it probably cost them nothing to fly the kid over, put him up with a family, make sure he goes to school and shows up and training. 

I also get the point of ditching the pensioners big wages and invest in the long term. Not sure what Jannie and Fat all can offer at 37 for the entire season when you have somebody that has come through your ranks and can recover faster, stronger and last the season

Jan 10, 2020, 14:32

Percentage-wise not many left SA...

I think there are at least 9,364,520 remaining from Saffex's last list of  players good enough for the Boks.

Rumours of a crisis is greatly overstated!

Jan 10, 2020, 22:20

CC just to be clear about your claim about me and players like E Jantjies.

For example, I have never considered him to be an "Internation" class player irrespective of what Saffex or any other claim.  

He sells his centers short time and time again and is terrified whenever he gets the ball in play. Most of his passes are termed suicide passes at best.

Currie cup is about his standard and I have always stuck with that view.

As I said in a previous posting your insults have no merit and besides that are irrelevant on this particular issue.

I have always raised the issue about the talent leaving RSA as a result of transformation but in the same breath, I would support a Springbok team made up of 15 players of color if they were selected on merit.

Supporting the Boks to win is what it is all about and not to see them getting slammed due to politics in sport.

Finally, Saffex and I have over the years had our differences and we are not "Bum Chums" but do on the odd occasion agree on issues pertaining to sport. 

Cheers.

Jan 10, 2020, 23:44

Trooof you are soooooo funny

Go find a bridge

Jan 13, 2020, 09:04

I'm not trying to be funny... Merely stating a FACT!

Jan 13, 2020, 10:13

No - Trooth Fairy

I do agree with  your newly-found above sentiments.   Good for you, 

I say newly-found because you went bananas whenever the players who sabotaged Springbok Rugby came up in the past - when players like Morne Steyn for example - came up for discussion on site - you went bananas,

When Meyer's decisions were criticized you went bananas too and swore that Meyer was the best coach in SA.  Apparently he was not as good a coach as you swear by then - since he was effectively fired by Stade Francais because he was INCOMPETENT.   

Too many things you wrote in the past was total BS and proven to be such.   If you have woken up from your dreams and got educated lately - your contributions would be competent and worth looking at,   Welcome to the concept of LOGIC.    

Jan 13, 2020, 12:20

Uhm... I criticised Meyer myself, because he was weak and did not believe in himself. He was weak, because he submitted to the opinion of people (much like you). When he submitted to their opinions, the team lost belief in Meyer and when you lose the change-room, you lose everything.

Interestingly though, ALL of you (except for Beeno of course), criticised Rassie Erasmus, specifically with the selection of experienced leaders. And as a matter of fact, I did not criticise Erasmus like you did...

(But despite my comments above, you also seem to miss the much bigger picture, but I will leave that for now, as all Springbok fans will soon find it out for themselves....)

Jan 13, 2020, 12:31

I like this guy for 13.

It's a waste playing him at 15. It nullifies his explosiveness.

Jan 13, 2020, 12:39

Probably too small for 13

Jan 13, 2020, 13:17

It looks like SA will be importing the NH pensioners as well with reports of Jamie Roberts on his way to the Stormers:D

Sorry state of affairs.https://www.netwerk24.com/Sport/Rugby/geldhulp-laat-draak-kaapse-draai-gooi-20200112#loggedin

Jan 13, 2020, 13:48

Jamie Roberts - how fucking pathetic

Jan 13, 2020, 14:55

I cannot remember when last he played for Whales.  Must agree it is  a pathetic import at 33 years of age.  Maybe they need a third aid assistant in the team .    

Jan 13, 2020, 14:55

I cannot remember when last he played for Whales.  Must agree it is  a pathetic import at 33 years of age.  Maybe they need a third aid assistant in the team .    

Jan 13, 2020, 18:28

"Jan 13, 2020, 14:55

I cannot remember when last he played for Whales."

Where were those games played? Hermanus?

Jan 13, 2020, 18:58

He he! Whales know their rugga...and if WP move to Greenpoint Stadium, they will be even closer to the action.

Jan 13, 2020, 19:46

Ah yes, the Whales rugby team . . . Humpback Humphries, Beluga Bevan, Southern Right Stevens and  the great Orca Owen.

LMAO!

Ou Maaik is as geographically and as lexically challenged as his hero Bozo who boasted about meeting the Prince of Whales!

Jan 13, 2020, 20:04

Jamie Roberts is a similar player to Delande, but well past it, so much slower and more injury.prone.  

He was once the princes of Whales, but should have a Whale of a time in Capetown. 

You need to Log in to reply.