Who is the best inside centre in the game

Forum » Rugby » Who is the best inside centre in the game

Sep 21, 2021, 00:17

Based on what I’ve seen against the Boks, but also the ABs, Kerevi gets my vote. He can make things happen against the 2 supposedly best defences in rugby.

Sep 21, 2021, 00:29

de Allende all the way.

Kerevi is good but I’ve seen enough of him to know he is never consistent

There is no doubt Kerevi has stood out far more than DA in the last two tests but hardly surprising given he was playing in the side on the front foot

But Kerevi has not beaten DA one on one in either of the tests and nor has DA beaten Kerevi

DA and the Boks have all looked shit in the past two games. Does that define them as players NO

DA has been fantastic since pre the WC

Sep 21, 2021, 00:46

You're a liar Unteromlett. Damian was dragged around by Kerevi. But I'll give you this, Damian is most certainly more consistent, unfortunately.

Only one player has man-to-man beaten Kerevi: Esterhuizen. 

Sep 21, 2021, 00:47

Kerevi is good but inconsistent. Give me Havili or ALB (can play 12 or 13) any day for excellent attack and defence. Saffex is about the only bloke still backing the cart horse DDA. “There’s none so blind as they that cannot see”…….He’s starting to sound ominously like Hasbeeno. Now there’s a worry!!

Sep 21, 2021, 02:15

Kerevi and Henshaw both were terrific playing against Dud…..whereas in 5 tests against the Lions and Oz….in 44 runs…..Dud made no clean breaks and beat 4 defenders.

Zero clean breaks!

Those are  abysmal centre stats ….5 toothless tests. It’s time to admit, the emperor has no clothes. And the stunning thing is he shows no urgency to get involved, to make a difference. While Kerevi is busting through our defence, Dud is positioned on the other side of the breakdown looking puzzled.

Sep 21, 2021, 10:06

De Allende ... ????

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahaha!

Are you seriously so ignorant?

Sep 21, 2021, 17:06

Bullshit neither Henshaw nor Kerevi got the better of DA one on one - that’s a complete lie

DA was the best 12 in the Lions series and was selected as such in the team of the series

Kerevi has been better than DA in the two Oz tests but did not beat DA one on one - fact

Kerevi was playing in the winning side, DA in a side that has lost its mojo

Sep 21, 2021, 17:10

Kerevi is the best in the game. He is big and strong enough for a modern-day center but still has passing and playmaking ability. 

Sep 21, 2021, 18:51

DA is underrated by many of us supporters.

Playing outside Elton he mostly gets suicide passes or has to fall back and defend and with Faf he spends more time defending the UP and UNDERS.

He is a strong runner when he has the option (very few) and he is not afraid to tackle.

My opinion.

Sep 21, 2021, 19:09

Bullshit Kerevi struggles to keep his place in the Oz side as he blows hot and cold and is a one trick pony

At his best de Allende is better skilled and far more consistent

Right now DA and the Bok side as a whole look down and out while Kerevi is on a high

Only naive idiotic followers define a player by an average game or two.

It’s like saying Vermeulen is crap given his form since his return. We know he is a class act despite not showing it right now.

Same can be said of every player in the last two games

You idiots have short memories

Sep 21, 2021, 19:24

Dave, you are fast losing whatever credibility you ever had.

Samu Kerevi on a bad day is better than De Allende at his best. If De Allende is consistent he's consistently poor, especially lately.

Sep 21, 2021, 20:05

Bullshit Rooi

Sep 21, 2021, 20:18

Any decent coach would select Kerevi instead of Delande.

Sep 21, 2021, 20:23

Then why was it that de Allende was regarded the best 12 in the game after the WC?

Sep 21, 2021, 20:37

Regarded by who?  

Sep 21, 2021, 20:54

The world rugby press he was selected in the team of the tournament and there have been numerous references to him being the best 12 in the game as is the case with Am being the best 13 and the pair being the best

Does not look it right now but average performances by the Boks on the whole does not define a players standing

A Youtube tribute to DA is more impressive than the YouTube tribute you put up of Kerevi

Sep 21, 2021, 21:03

"Does not look it right now but average performances by the Boks on the whole does not define a players standing"

Yes, suddenly everyone is supposedly kak...it's not how you fall, or how far you fall, it's the way you come back from down low...give the Boks a bit more time, it's been a topsy-turvy last season or two.

Sep 21, 2021, 21:12

Yeah these fickle twits have short memories

There are obvious reasons we are struggling right now

There is the Covid bubble

The fact Rassie is not present is hugely telling - the players clearly don’t buy into Neinaber as they do Rassie

Poor team selections in that last test that we needed to win. Selecting Mostert and Orie in the same side had us conceding the physical edge evidenced by no driving mauls from the line outs and no dominant scrums. We should have won the first Oz test but for those kicks and then thinking we could win the second with the combinations selected was stupidity of the highest order

Sep 21, 2021, 21:24

Don't get me wrong, I'm no huge DdA fan, but I'm no hater either and I don't think we've got anyone clearly better, especially for our game plan...for that he's probably the best...the best in his position for one of the best teams in the world must count for something ...not?

Sep 21, 2021, 22:15

Esterhuizen and Frans are better in all aspects of centre play. Serfontein is miles better. Damian is a wing/outside centre hybrid who isn't cut out for inside centre. Damian has been an embarrassment from the beginning. There have been no high points. 

Sep 21, 2021, 22:47

Watched Esterhozen again this weekend….he creates as well executes. Dud is the cul de sac where good ball goes to die.

Sep 21, 2021, 23:14

Frans better than DA bwhaaahaaa

Sep 22, 2021, 11:12

DDA had scored exactly one try that meant something for the Boks. And that wasn’t down to his own skill but rather his inability to pass combined with some horrendous defending by Wales.

Sep 22, 2021, 11:32

"DDA had scored exactly one try that meant something for the Boks. And that wasn’t down to his own skill but rather his inability to pass combined with some horrendous defending by Wales."

Well, if you're referring to a Wales test then you'e forgetting the match-winning try he scored against Ireland at Ellis Park about 5 years ago. 

I remember that try well because I was at the game sitting next to some loud and obnoxious Irishmen and when De Allende won us that game and silenced those Paddys with an excellent try showing great strength, that was the moment I changed my opinion on him. Up to that point I thought he was an unimaginative and overrated donkey but after that game I softened my stance and rated him a bit higher, but since then his consistently sterile and predictable performances have forced me to return to my unimaginative and overrated donkey rating.

The one SA inside centre who really looked the goods at one stage in his career was Rohan Janse van Rensburg and he should have been given more opportunities. Same can be said of Harold Vorster who remains a very consistent but underrated player. Either one deserved a few chances at De Allende's expense.

Sep 22, 2021, 11:34

Don't get suck into what is  written in the media. After all, if you are the best team even though you haven't played for 600 days. Of course the media would write your  players up. 

Luky Am has also been exposed. He missed a ton of tackles and doesn't really have the pace you ned for a 13 but he  was credited as the best 13. To me neither standup to Jacque Fourie or Jean De Villiers. I  just saw some highlights where Jean pin point passing was displayed on how he got hiis 13 away.  There is absolutely no passing from Dud. He is strong runner but never really a great distributor. 

Bring back Goosen, move Pollard to 12 and lets start using our backs. 

Sep 22, 2021, 11:58

Let me just start off by saying that I am not a DDA fan at all, I actually agree with most on here regarding his quality of play that he brings to the team.

So I decided to check up on Dave's statement regarding him being voted in the team of the tournament for the 2019 world cup

Dave was correct, see below.....

Not that this has any bearing on his shitty quality of play now, but he was indeed voted in by quite a few different sources after the last world cup

The ROAR

Inside centre

The Roar’s pick: Damian de Allende (South Africa)
South Africa’s most powerful backline ball-runner is another easy selection in the team of the tournament. Damian de Allende was superb for the Boks, particularly in the knockout stage.

His try against Wales in the semi-final was a remarkable display of strength through contact, and he was dominant in the midfield battle in the final.

A worthy selection, de Allende’s 48.9 per cent of the vote was comfortably enough to get past England skipper Owen Farrell (25%), while Australia’s Samu Kerevi and All Black Anton Lienert-Brown also had good tournaments

ESPN

Inside centre - Damian de Allende (South Africa)

Australia's Samu Kerevi enjoyed a superb tournament but that Springbok wrecking ball De Allende fulfilled his potential to establish himself as one of the most destructive players in the World Cup. He was also instrumental in the Springboks' peerless defence.

RUGBY365

12 – Damian de Allende (South Africa)
The midfielder was immense in open play for the Springboks. He was just a hard man to bring down when he had the ball. Like many of his teammates, he was outstanding in the defensive part of the game with his speed and power off the line putting teams under pressure.

Wales Online:

12. Damian de Allende (South Africa)

It was Australia’s Samu Kerevi who set the pace early on, eating up the metres with his powerful carrying, while Owen Farrell has been a key controller when he’s lined up at inside centre.

But as the tournament has gone on, so the influence of de Allende has grown.

Born in Cape Town of Spanish heritage, he has really shone in the land where he will be playing his club rugby from now on.

At 6ft2in and nearly 16 stone, he brings a real physical presence and "a mongrel" mindset, to use the words of coach Rassie Erasmus, who has revitalised his international career.

De Allende has that priceless ability to get over the gainline and shrug off would-be tacklers, as he showed with that crucial try against Wales in the semi-final.

The Independent UK:

12. Damian de Allende (South Africa)

Slipped under the radar somewhat heading into the World Cup due to South Africa’s powerhouse pack but De Allende was a key factor in getting the Boks to the final, scoring a try against Wales that demonstrated supreme balance a and power. Four years ago he was marked out as one of the stars of the future, this year he delivered Damian de Allende (South Africa)

Sep 22, 2021, 13:01

He was the obvious choice having had 6 starts and as part of the tournament winning team there would be a natural bias his way. Kerevi only had 4 starts before Aus was knocked out, so there was no way he was going to get it despite having, for example, beaten 8 more defenders than DA did in 6 games. Farrell is hardly competition.

Sep 22, 2021, 14:08

Ja Pakie, I can accept the bias argument,  Kerevi might have been a more deserving choice, but it still doesn't mean DdA is as crap as some on here sugest...he's solid enough in the absence of a clear world beater...our biggest strenght ATM is our consistency in selections.

Sep 22, 2021, 14:12

Good points Pakie

Sep 22, 2021, 14:17

Who's playing 12 for France?

Sep 22, 2021, 15:35

It's pointless quoting sources who don't do their research. It's all opinion pieces based in general impressions. I've been challenging the Plastiks for years to defend the validity of these opinion pieces and not once has any one of them succeeded. Damian was a key Bok? Never. From game one if the world cup to the final, Damian was a flub. A flub in a Bok attack that was as bad then as it is now. 

Sep 22, 2021, 16:15

"It's pointless quoting sources who don't do their research"

What utter rubbish.... and I am not even a DDA fan at all

"It's all opinion pieces based in general impressions"

Yebo yes.....precisely like everyone else on this here forum, including you..... it does not make your opinion or their opinion wrong.... it is purely your opinion or perspective on the whole issue, as it is theirs.... albeit these sports journalists do this for a living.... which we don't... so there is a slight difference on where I would personally hedge my "facts"

Sep 22, 2021, 16:30

It's not rubbish. That's a fact. 

Opinion? Exactly what have I said about Damian that is opinion only? I bring lots and lots of facts to the table buddy. If you want to end up like Omlett, Unteromlett and Lügnerin, leaving the discussion on a stretcher, you'd better do a whole lot better than that. 

Sep 22, 2021, 16:49

"Opinion? Exactly what have I said about Damian that is opinion only?"

Your opinion on the quoted sources......is just that.... an opinion, not fact

I can try and explain some things to you... but I cannot understand them for you..... try harder.... buddy

"If you want to end up like Omlett, Unteromlett and Lügnerin, leaving the discussion on a stretcher, you'd better do a whole lot better than that"

This is funny.... even hilarious

Sep 22, 2021, 17:09

Dud Allende was judged better than Kerevi for the same reason Dud Toit was judged better than Savea….we won the WC. Then the World Player of the Year had to be a Bok and the SA press was 100% behind blue eyed boy Dud Toit.

These things tend to be popularity contests.

Neither of the Duds hold up based on the numbers….but two things got them home. Dud Allende’s try against Wales after an atrocious tackle attempt or rip attempt it’s not clear which, by Biggar.

Dud Toit’s banshee rushes on Ford who was too inept to step a lock at full pace.

No other inside centre at the WC had  a defining enough moment to displace Dud Allende. As for Dud Toit….his selection shows the power of a good story line, and a unique visual signature. We all wondered what happened to Schalk when he cut his hair….nothing is the answer, but he was no longer distinctive.

Sep 22, 2021, 17:18

Yes, it is hilarious. Little Chihuahua puffing up behind a fence. 

It's pretty simple, what part of this praise is founded on tangible production? Any at all? If not, then it is exactly what I said it was: It's all opinion pieces based on general impressions. No research. You see what you did to yourself? 

Sep 23, 2021, 13:13

"I's pretty simple, what part of this praise is founded on tangible production? Any at all?"

What is extremely simple to see..... is your clear and utter stupidity

How about proving to anyone that none of these multiple individual sports journalists, did not do any research at all on each of these positions, and possibly also comparing stats between players, before posting their own individual team of the rugby world cup.

According to you, you stated categorically that all of these journalists did not do any research at all....it was just their "general impression" of the players....

You know this categorically as fact... ….but how?

Just because they did not post any detailed stats does not automatically mean no research was done on the players before they each chose their world cup side

You just want to diminish their experienced input because it does not gel with your narrative about DDA

Tell me how you know this as fact..... the floor is yours..... buddy

I will be back towards the end of next week, so no, I am not avoiding any replies

Sep 23, 2021, 13:52

Picks some of the stats you like, ignore the others  take them out of context, aaand then you start banging the drum like a professional  Native American drum-banger.

Sep 23, 2021, 16:19

Quote some of the stats you particularly like Draad….stats that support the Duds as the best in the game. I’m always willing to be persuaded by facts.

Sep 23, 2021, 17:13

Ignore? I have collected every stat, I have logged every pass, kick, run, tackle, catch, defensive pressure, ruck clean, pilfer, set piece involvement, movement around the field, role in attacking plays/sequences/patterns. Do kindly show where I have neglected to consider any detail, or where I have deliberately omitted anything. If anything, it is I who has to continually correct the plastiks for their sloppiness and inability to assess the game at even a basic level. 

When you have all of this info at hand, it becomes easy to see the journos for what they are. 
Damian gets us over the gainline, is a key defender, has a great partnership with Am, is a key contributor to the Boks, was a key World Cup Bok? So many plaudits without any tangible evidence. 

If you want to begin to tackle me, start with his entire 2018 test season. His best season under José the anti-coach:

You need to Log in to reply.