Who was the best performing captain in the WC thus far?

Forum » Rugby » Who was the best performing captain in the WC thus far?

Oct 05, 2019, 15:50

We have gone through to the end of the pool games and most teams have played at least 2 games and reaxch their 3rd game this round.

So who were the best captains thus far from -

*   an inspiration and leadership perspective; and

*   a personal performance perspective.

The main team captains are as follows:-

New Zealand  -   Read

Australia        -   Hooper

England         -   Farrell

Wales            -   Wyn Jones

France           -   Guirado

Scotland        -   McInally

SA                -    Kolisi

Japan           -    Labuschagne

Argentina      -   Matera

My vote goes to Labuschagne in respect of both categories.

So let us have yours coming in.    

Oct 05, 2019, 16:23

1. Wyn Jones

2. Labuschagne

3. Read

4. Hooper

5. Vermeulen

6. Farrell

7. Matera

8. Guirado

Oct 05, 2019, 16:40

Parisse the Italian captain  has led from the front and has commander the team well.

Worth a mention I thought.

Oct 05, 2019, 17:51

Impossible to tell none of us are on the field so we are not privy to what is said by the captains nor can we get a feel of what they are like as leaders - it’s all speculation

Oct 05, 2019, 18:14

Nah Kolisi by a country mile. He was the only one who managed to create the illusion that he wasn’t on the field, so he could secretly organise his troops without anyone noticing. :D 

Oct 05, 2019, 18:16

Posted by: Saffex (16662 posts)

Oct 05, 2019, 17:51

Impossible to tell us none of us are on the field so we are not privy to what is said by the captains nor can we get a feel of what they are like as leaders - it’s all speculation  “

What did you think of Victor Matfield’s captaincy in his days?

Oct 05, 2019, 18:19

AJH

I think with the emphasis is purely based on leadership then you have a point about Wyn Jones,  His personal performance contribution record was not really all that good,   I looked at both aspects in my assessment.  .

There are from a personal performance perspective some real question marks on the performance of most of he captains listed by you - same with Parisse,  

Of the above list of captains - looked specifically at Captains already going through to the play-offs or likely to go through and should not have listed Matera - since Argentina has no chance of going through.   

At this stage in -

*   Pool A  the potential candidates  are all of Japan, Ireland, and Scotland, with the latter having a minor chance;

*   Pool  B -  New Zealand and South Africa;

*   Pool  C -  England and France; and

*   Pool  D -  Wales and Australia      

You need to Log in to reply.