You need to LOG IN to reply.

Wings......the throw away position

Forum » Rugby » Wings......the throw away position

May 08, 2019, 15:52

There is debate about every Bok position, but wings are hardly mentioned. Nobody has much passion about the whole thing. And it's hard to drum up much enthusiasm since Habana and JP.

Of the current crop Dyantyi blows hot and and cold....but no doubt his bag of tricks is no longer novel. Not express and not very strong he relies on guile, but sometimes it backfires.

Mapimpi looks good, except when he is faced by an equivalent athlete...as he will be at the WC. There is no plan b if he is matched for pace.

Nkosi is an impressive youngster...good pace, good strength, sensible instincts....he looks the best prospect. Still there isn't a sense that he is going to make things happen, like the young Habana. Not sure why....but he isn't a 'danger man' yet.

Of course there is Kolbe, who seems too small, but is a 'danger man'. We need one player who can really shred a defence. Right now Kolbe seems one of the few....with his quick thinking and electric pace off the mark.

Then there's Lleyds, who is probably the most creative of all our wings. But his defence is feeble, even Kolbe is better. Ultimately that would cost us.

Finally there is the great white hope....Duhan van der Merwe. We need one physically imposing wing, who can be our intruder through the middle. This guy, on limited exposure, looks like the best bet for that role....pacy and hard to put away.

In all this Gerhard van der Heever is the forgotten man....but probably too old to introduce now....I hope van der Merwe doesn't go the same route.

May 08, 2019, 15:59

Moz, you've hit the the nail on the head. Unfortunately, race base selections will always trump sensible selections. 

It is almost a for gone conclusion that Rassie will pick 2 black wingers even though they are good but not world class. 

It is almost a for gone conclusion that any black player with pace will occupy the spot, which gives Rassie a 10% quota selection. 

Then you have Damian Willemse that would probably prop up the full back birth with a possibility of Willie shifting to the wing. 

That said, I think we need to look at the other wingers in the world and who we will face. The All blacks don't seem to be short of big fast wingers or strong ball carriers. 

The sea islanders have plenty of these monsters around. 

Then you have our smaller wingers simply look like flies being swatted away. 

I do believe that our current crop of black wingers are our biggest defensive liability and teams will expose that

May 08, 2019, 20:16

Agreed on the defensive liability.....in tight WC games, any weakness....whether it be at tighthead/ competing on the deck/ or taking the high ball.....will be exploited.

You are as competitive as your biggest weakness....and in the case of our wings.....there's weakness.

May 08, 2019, 20:46

The left wing was exposed last year - mostly due to positional play. 

Koble gets run over now and again, but otherwise, he is solid on defence, at least at fielding tactical kicking. Having him on the wing is like having a second fullback. 

Although with Leroux already frail on defence, having them both could be a liability against a team with Pacific Island wingers.

May 08, 2019, 21:04

Spot on Moz, agreed on Nkosi being the best, I think he will go down as being as good as JP and Habana were.

Unfortunately I don’t think Duhan v d Merwe is anywhere near being the great White hope.

My guess is Rassie is completely oblivious to his credentials for its almost too late to introduce him into the WC equation as coaches seem to place so much emphasis on players being familiar with the Bok set up/ system

May 09, 2019, 07:05

I feel like Dyanti and Nkosi are mainly weak in their defensive timing rather than tackling ability.

Still like Ismael(spelling). Also think Dayimani at over 100kgs could be a deadly winger. 

If you want size and speed, those two guys are it.

May 09, 2019, 07:55

JP Pietersen was a good wing ... but he was not in the same league as Habana. Not by a long shot.

Habana as a sportsman was in the same class as a Bolt, Federer, Tiger Woods, Serena Williams, Lomu, Nicklaus, Cullen.

Actually, I would have preferred Jean De Villiers to JP at 14.

Nkosi is probably our best choice at wing ... but he needs to grow, he needs to take it to the next level.

We have seen many players coming into the fold with the potential to go on to greatness and then somehow fall short.

Claiming that Nkosi is as good as past heroes is silly and a little premature. Then again, whats new with Fat Dave.

Elton Jantjies, De Allende and JJ were all his favourites ... all destined for greatness ... apparently ... and we saw how that worked out in the end.

Thick as a brick ... totally clueless.

May 09, 2019, 12:06

Hey CC you fuckwit, you are the last person on here to ever comment about player selections - you are by far the most ignorant follower on here.

Totally fucking clueless. The best thing you could do is never list a preference for you always open yourself up to humiliation.

You have had so many howlers but they don’t come better than Boshoff as the Bok flyhalf - you fucking idiot

May 09, 2019, 12:14

Nkosi is my pick, solid as a rock and unlike mapimpi is great under the high ball. 

You need to Log in to reply.