Tucker Carlson firestorm over Trump texts threatens to engulf Fox News

Forum » Beenos Trumpet » Tucker Carlson firestorm over Trump texts threatens to engulf Fox News

Mar 14, 2023, 02:14

Tucker Carlson was once seen as untouchable. Now the most popular TV host on American cable news is at the center of a firestorm threatening to engulf Fox News and also anger Donald Trump, whose conspiracy theory-laden political cause he has long championed and who his audience loves.

Court filings attached to the $1.6bn Dominion Voting Systems defamation suit accuse Fox News of allowing its stars to broadcast false accusations about rigged voting machines in the 2020 presidential election.

The documents contained numerous emails detailing the private views and concerns of senior Fox management and its stars, which often seemed at odds with what they were publicly broadcasting to their audience.

While anchors Lou Dobbs and Maria Bartiromo have been singled out for pushing false claims of a fraudulent election, the fallout has landed primarily on Carlson.

In group chats obtained by Dominion, the network’s biggest names – Carlson, Laura Ingraham and Sean Hannity – appeared to doubt claims of election fraud that were featured prominently on the network. At the same time, Fox owner Rupert Murdoch said in a court deposition that anyone who knowingly allowed lies to be broadcast “should be reprimanded, maybe got rid of”.

So far, Fox is standing by its stars. On Thursday, Lachlan Murdoch, Murdoch’s eldest son, heir apparent and executive chairman and chief executive of Fox Corporation, voiced support for management, its roster of stars and backed Fox New’s editorial standards.

“A news organization has an obligation – and it is an obligation – to report news fulsomely, wholesomely and without fear or favor. That’s what Fox News has always done and that’s what Fox News will always do,” he said.

That might not wash with many observers and media critics. But likely of equal concern, especially for Carlson, are some of the private opinions voiced about Trump. The Dominion lawsuit revealed a text from Carlson declaring: “I hate him passionately.”

Nor is that the only political fight Carlson became mired in last week. Carlson was directly criticized by the White House deputy press secretary Andrew Bates for describing the January 6 rioters as “orderly and meek … sightseers” as he began broadcasting footage from the insurrection handed to him by Republican House speaker Kevin McCarthy.

Ironically, news of Carlson’s antipathy for Trump broke around the same time the ex-president was praising Carlson as doing a “great job” in his presentation of Capitol security video.

Many people – including some Republicans – reacted with outrage to Carlson’s broadcasts, with chimed with a broader far-right push in the US to recast the January 6 attack on the Capitol as an overly enthusiastic demonstration and the hundreds of people jailed for it as political prisoners.

The White House, Bates said, “agrees with the chief of the Capitol police and the wide range of bipartisan lawmakers who have condemned this false depiction of the unprecedented, violent attack on our constitution and the rule of law – which cost police officers their lives.”

The Guardian contacted Fox for comment but received no reply.

Carlson, for his part, has been unapologetic. He claimed the clips offered “conclusive” evidence that Democrats and the select committee that organized last year’s January 6 hearings misinformed the public about what had taken place.

Some experts see the current crises at the network as serious, as it seeks to keep a Trump-loving audience glued to its screens – no matter the cost, and no matter what its executives privately think.

“They feel that they have to appease a certain audience they’ve trained to expect a certain kind of information flow. And at the same they see that if you take it too far, you risk serious legal and financial liability – to say nothing of embarrassment that comes when internal communications are exposed,” said Bill Grueskin, a faculty professor at Columbia Journalism School.

The news-opinion formula worked for Fox News through the Trump presidency, but in the aftermath of Trump’s election fraud claims and the Capitol riot, it is starting to show signs of strain, Grueskin said.

If Fox managers and anchors doubted Trump’s election fraud claims and went along with them to maintain ratings dominance, particularly over other emerging rightwing outlets, their anxieties were confirmed when Fox News viewers fled after it declared Arizona for Joe Biden.

“The Murdochs think about this almost exclusively in terms of ratings, audience and money,” said Grueskin. “If they were concerned about Tucker Carlson’s truthfulness, they might have done something about this months or years ago.”

And they might be right. After Dominion filed internal Fox News communications last month viewership rose by 2.4%, compared to total viewership for the first full week of February.

More so, Carlson likes controversy. He remains hugely powerful, and may be beyond the reach or will of the organization to rein in. He has survived controversies over racist comments and his embracing of tenets of white nationalism.

Fox News primetime anchors, particularly Carlson and Hannity, exert so much power in that organization that even the Murdochs have to dance around it, Grueskin said.

“It goes beyond Tucker Carlson,” he says. “Rupert Murdoch may be the smartest media person in the world, but you can’t fix this problem they’ve created for themselves.”

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

The honourable and obvious thing to do is to fire the two Liars, Tucker and Hannity.....that won't happen......Murdoch's modus operandi is not about honour and dignity, he is no different to Tucker as his sole objective is numbers and Tucker has the numbers.

Mar 14, 2023, 03:35

Fox is Carlson & Carlson is Fox.

Hopefully they'll both pay for their sins, lies & transgressions.

Mar 14, 2023, 03:35

Hang 'em High.

Mar 14, 2023, 07:05

Bias news reports...who would've thought?

Mar 14, 2023, 08:11

Fox.. John Oliver

https://mixdrop.co/f/mdlgx188uxv3k06

Mar 14, 2023, 09:05

John Oliver, the poster child for objectivity...not...

Mar 14, 2023, 09:11

He's funny & brilliant .

Mar 14, 2023, 09:26

Funny indeed...it's good to hear from the other side of the spectrum...pity the middle has all but disappeared...when people like Jimmy Dore are considered to be alt-right by some.

Mar 14, 2023, 10:22

This is now the case the members hope with damage  Fox and they are quiet about the billions of claims the fake propaganda media face in respect of the Russian Hoax and the billions of claims that will still come about the January 6 lies now exposed by the release of the security cameras footage.    

Remember the $100's of millions Sandman got from the lies of the fake media - what is coming is worse.

It is going to be a hard case to prove by Dominion.   It was proven and accepted that there were outsiders getting into the Dominion computer system in Arizona as well as Pennsylvania, Wisconsin and Michigan   - and that will weaken the Dominion claims.   If it happened in 5  states - did it not happen in other States as well.   Another factor is in Georgia - where video recordings indicated the Democrats feeding in false info into the Dominion computers without any supervision.   It is going to be hard to prove for Dominion that there was no interference in their computer system as a result.

My guess is in Court the allegations will fizzle out and Dominion will not gain much from the    claims against Fox News.    They are the only real news outlet amongst the major news corporations in the USA with growing viewer support and will not lose viewer support as the result.   The other major propaganda agencies often quoted on this site are losing support and subscribers on a virtual daily basis, but they remain popular amongst certain site members. 

Mar 14, 2023, 10:54

Fox News' credibility is in tatters, their lawyers have conceded in court (but not yet on air) that they broadcast Bozo's claims of election fraud knowing the claims were false, Fox News anchors are throwing each other under the bus, they're facing defamation charges of billions of dollars and their share price has dropped faster than Ivanka Trumps panties on Fathers Day . . . but here's ou Maaik saying it's all going to fizzle out and Fox News is the only credible news corporation.

LMAO!

Massive amounts of egg coming for all those Trumpanzee half-wits who bought into Bozo's bullshit about the "rigged" election.

Mar 14, 2023, 11:29

Rooinek

This has nothing to do with Fox News -they have increasing viewership all the time.   So let them worry about dealing with a court case that will in reality not affect them negatively.

This thread deals with the lies on the Russian Hoax issue and the same about the January 6 incident.             

Rooinek

This has nothing to do with Fox News -they have increasing viewership all the time.   So let them worry about dealing with a court cas that will in reality not affect them negatively.

This thread deals with the lies on the Russian Hoax issue and the same about the January 6 incident.             

Rooinek

This has nothing to do with Fox News -they have increasing viewership all the time.   So let them worry about dealing with a court cas that will in reality not affect them negatively.

Rooinek

Rooinek

This has nothing to do with Fox News -they have increasing viewership all the time.   So let them worry about dealing with a court case that is unlikely to have in reality not affect them negatively.

This thread deals with the lies on the Russian Hoax issue and the same about the January 6 incident.   You, SB  and BB are trying to sidetrack the issue and is not prepared to answer questions about the January 6 incident - first of all because you are a coward and secondly because being a habitual liar you like to repeat lies on site.

Now I expect no answer from you anyway - because you are too stupid to understand what really happened in both cases allowing propaganda taking over what little thinking ability you have.                   

Mar 14, 2023, 11:36

Ou Maaik stuttering and stammering again.

"This thread deals with the lies on the Russian Hoax issue and the same about the January 6 incident."

Are you sure about that, ou Maaik? Do you perhaps want to read the heading of the thread and have a think about it first?

Mar 14, 2023, 11:41

I reminded you about another thread dealing with the Russian Hoax and January 6 lies you posted on site.   I dealt with the Tucker Carlson issue already anyway.    

Mar 14, 2023, 11:47

Ou Maaik, your blatant lies are there for all to see. Have you no shame?

Here's what you posted (on this thread): "This thread deals with the lies on the Russian Hoax issue and the same about the January 6 incident."

Are you now trying to tell the rest of us that we don't understand what "this thread" means?

I've stated several times on this board (with no exaggeration) that you are the stupidest individual I have ever encountered in my lifetime. Incredibly, I think you're also the most deceitful and the most cowardly.

Mar 14, 2023, 12:39

Ja Maaik, luister asseblief vir die klaskaptein.

Mar 14, 2023, 13:06

Help me Jesus! 

Mar 14, 2023, 13:34

Mike how the hell do you manage to post a message 6 times? I've managed one duplicate, once or twice. But 6? Incredible.

Mar 14, 2023, 13:39

Pakie, latent internet on the platteland and dated hardware. Some emails I receive from the platteland comes in 10fold...not saying Mike has no blame, but this site is buggy even if you've got good equipment and fast internet.

Mar 14, 2023, 13:41

"Mike how the hell do you manage to post a message 6 times?"

Only possible if you hit the submit button 6 times.

You need a combination of qualities to achieve this level of incompetence:

The IQ of a pot plant
The patience of a hungry honey badger
The tech savvy of an ESKOM technician
The attention span of a subnormal goldfish

Ou Maaik nails them all.

Mar 14, 2023, 14:06

Ironically, news of Carlson’s antipathy for Trump broke around the same time the ex-president was praising Carlson as doing a “great job” in his presentation of Capitol security video.

Business as usual between birds of the same feather but hey it's up there as the laugh of the year if you pull yourself away from ...." the rioters were on a sightseeing tour"

Mar 14, 2023, 15:43

And none of the CNN anchors knew the Russia hoax was untrue but still reported it as gospel?

Mar 15, 2023, 17:11

Strange how the Demorat team investigating the January 6th event never entered this video into evidence whilst in session.

Not a case of them not knowing about the video as the chairman of the "Hit Squad" stated that his staff look at it and found it of no use to their cause.

Wonder why Nancy P did not respond to the Chief of the Congress Police's request for HELP as recorded by him and stated under oath in this investigation.

Smells of a cover up and a plan to let this incident flourish and to make a case for shifting the blame once again.  

But the truth will always prevail irrespective of the efforts to cover it up with deceit and all the other methods available and always used by the Demorats.

Good for you Tucker.

Mar 16, 2023, 04:18

Denny

If you watched the tape recording there was NO violence involved in the Capitol invasion and the lies about it in the media was a farce.   I do not agree with the trespassing of protestors into the Capitol - but the question is did the Democrats try and turn it into a major propaganda issue based on lies?   In watching the actual video  Pelosi would not release to anybody it became clear that there are a lot of questions to be asked as to what happened that day.   For instance why did the Democratic Party lied about the 5 policemen killed by the protestors when in fact there were no such murders.    If indeed the allegations were true why were no charges laid against anybody accused of murder stemming from the incident?          

Mar 16, 2023, 04:24

Rooinek 

The IQ of a pot plant is preferable to the IQ of a liar like you.   At least the pot plant would not lie totally on a daily basis.   The tech savvy of an Eskom technician is really funny - since your intelligence level is definitely lower than that of a Eskom Technician - since you totally lack   any thinking ability and rely totally on what the fake media tell you to do and say.   A total alck of thinking ability is a chronic problem when it comes to you.      

Mar 16, 2023, 07:40

Maaik, there are other recordings which show serious violence too. I also believe it was seriously blown out of proportion, but there were definitely belligerent elements to that protest too.

Mar 16, 2023, 10:30

Mike

Spare me your lectures, I find them repulsive and insulting.

Mar 16, 2023, 10:43

"If you watched the tape recording that Tucker Carlson put together choosing only the bits that showed none of the Trumpanzees rioting then there was NO violence involved in the Capitol invasion"

Fixed.

Of course, if you believe what you saw with your own eyes and if you have a double digit IQ and if you're not a brainwashed moron who believes all the demonstrably biased nonsense that Fox News puts out then you wouldn't fall for this kind of rubbish.

Mar 16, 2023, 10:54

I really don't know why you bother Rooinek, the shameless and deceitful liar like the rest of the Trump-Puppets only believe what they want to believe. 

Mar 16, 2023, 10:59

I honestly can’t believe that you nutters are still so hung up on Trump.

Lol Dentsie probably still holds a grudge against the first boyfriend that dumped him.

Mar 16, 2023, 11:32

"I honestly can’t believe that you nutters are still so hung up on Trump."

Wehe . . . as the truth comes out about Bozo and as the falsehoods are exposed, the Trumpanzees start pretending that it's all ancient history that should be buried and forgotten.

LMAO! 

Mar 16, 2023, 11:34

Rooinek 

You are a good one to preach about the following:-

Of course, if you believe what you saw with your own eyes and if you have a double digit IQ and if you're not a brainwashed moron who believes all the demonstrably biased nonsense that Fox News puts out then you wouldn't fall for this kind of rubbish.

I really laughed about the above statement coming from the most brainwashed BSter on site.    You have written endless BS on site you got from liar and fake sites about the Russian Hoax lies of the Democrats for four years.    You have been warned time and again it was lies you supported on site, but persisted for 6 years supporting the BS all out.   Even when subsequent investigations proved it was BS started by the Democrats your brain was taken over by shit and you continuede with the BS.

The January 6 incident is now going the same route.    What the media told you is being exposed as lies when compared to clear security camera videos and that you do not want to believe because it really is showing up how easily you can be told what to believe and what lies you can write on site.

I wrote some questions on the incident on site - but none of you answered because the shit has taken over your brain-functioning completely.

Mar 16, 2023, 11:44

Denny sorry

The lies that formed the major topics on this site over the last 5 years came from the media you apparently believe.   There was no collusion between Trump and Putin about the 2016 election - FACT confirmed by three investigations. The allegations were lies concocted and leaked to the Media by the Obama Administration, the Democratic Party and the Clinton election campaign, but despite the investigations some members still believe the lies.

The same is slowly coming out iro the January 6 election where there is a need for a full  judicial investigation of what really happened.    What is clear is that the propaganda show organized by Pelosi was a propaganda farce and there are plenty evidence to support a real judicial-based investigation that was totally absent from the Pelosi Farce Committee.      

What was shown thus far was exposed by the security cameras as being doubtful anyway.    

Mar 16, 2023, 14:07

Yeah yeah.

It’s pretty obvious that for some on here, Trump is the only thing making them feel at all relevant.

The amount of Trump posts by Rooi and Dentsie kinda says it all.

Just admit that you have a giant hard-on for Trump ou, Rooi.

There have been far worse presidents, in SA, Europe and the US…but somehow you’re stuck on Trump.

…by your own admission, you were never that interested in presidents or in politics before. Perhaps, it’s a good idea to pause and ask yourself why that is?

The very obvious answer is that media opened the door for you and to attempt to appear politically trendy and virtuous at the same time. You jumped right in and never for a second wondered why your head was so full of Trump?

And my God the machine did a number on you. You’re still flogging that dead horse to squeeze out the last bit of juice.

I really mean this when i say, it’s one of the most pathetic narratives I’ve seen play out on this board. Grown-ups, with a full life’s worth experience, being so easily controlled by some of the most obvious propaganda I’ve seen in my life. I don’t swear on here often but it’s truly fucking pathetic to witness.

You’re not virtuous guys. You’re not politically trendy and you are completely uninteresting. Nothing is going to change that. Understand? Nothing!!!

Now go home, do the uninteresting shit you do every afternoon and rest your head tonight knowing that you’re of the plebs the media can rely on to buy whatever bullshit they’ll next sell.

Or just write us another long, stupid and erroneous essay on how Trump colluded with Russia…you morons.

Mar 16, 2023, 14:20

Even CNN needs Trump. No one can resist an entertainer. Pedo Joe's child sniffing and stair stumbling and teleprompter mumbling can't compete.

Mar 16, 2023, 14:26

Mar 16, 2023, 14:55

LMAO @Sharkbok.

Mar 18, 2023, 12:08

Tx for the laugh Sharkbok.

Mar 18, 2023, 16:32

‘Mike

Spare me your lectures, I find them repulsive and insulting.’

……What sensitive feelings  our dear Comrade September has. Constant repetition, boot licking, dishonesty and turn coating doesn’t bother him, but Mike does. 

You need to Log in to reply.