Any info in the Boks for Canada team?

Forum » Rugby » Any info in the Boks for Canada team?

Oct 06, 2019, 18:58

Here's the team:

Springboks – 15 Damian Willemse, 14 Warrick Gelant, 13 Damian de Allende, 12 Frans Steyn, 11 Sbu Nkosi, 10 Elton Jantjies, 9 Cobus Reinach, 8 Francois Louw, 7 Kwagga Smith, 6 Siya Kolisi (c), 5 Franco Mostert, 4 RG Snyman, 3 Vincent Koch, 2 Schalk Brits, 1 Thomas du Toit. Subs: 16 Malcolm Marx, 17 Steven Kitshoff, 18 Frans Malherbe, 19 Eben Etzebeth, 20 Pieter-Steph du Toit, 21 Herschel Jantjies, 22 Handre Pollard, 23 Willie le Roux.

There might be some information in this team.

Firstly that Willemse is seen mostly as a fullback, and perhaps a more likely bench candidate than Gelant, for whom the move to wing is not good news.

Secondly the Frans/Allende combination suggests Eraser is still interested in Steyn as a 12 and concomitantly in Dud at 13 ....Am has done nothing wrong, but there remains a lack of gravitas about his play.

The Jantjies/Reinach selections look like simple protection of the first choice combination.

Kolisi being back on the field suggests that he still is miles short of being an effective participant....he is seriously out of form. And in truth he was only really effective in the 2018 Super season.

Franco at 5 suggests he is now clearly behind Lomp in the Eraser stakes....it was bound to happen in a strategy so based on kragdadigheid. We lose a lot of smarts and gain a guy who fades against the top teams. But I suppose we have to learn the lesson again.

On the bench we have all the players who Eraser thinks are really crucial to pulling out a win if necessary...interestingly that includes Jantjies not Faf. Probably just a playing time issue, but all the other subs are clearly his first choices.

Oct 06, 2019, 19:17

Dumbian at thirteen iswas done before right? Didn't he start off as a 13 but got moved to 12 because he wasn't good at 13? Sort of clutching at straws. Am was pretty good at 13 considering how crap the springbok midfield is on the inside. It's funny, the longer your half backs pass the higher ball flies and the more defenders smoosh the catcher. I will say that Dumbian had some pretty good touches in that second half. I counted about 4 really good passes but maybe he was desperate and flinging it around because Rassie beasted them at half time. It seemed like the Bokkies were making more effort as a team to pass more. You don't have a blindside or an open side in your first choice starting xv. You could try Mostert but that'd be more clutching at straws. Surely there must have ben a better option in South Africa.?? It's too late now really so Rassie just have to back his gut instinct and make the best of what he has assembled. Hope for the best. Thru sure don't look like champion material more like the Bokkies of fifteen years ago. 

Oct 06, 2019, 23:28

Nope it makes sense for Willemse to be at 15 and Gelant on the wing thereby giving Mampini and Kolbe a rest.

Slow Frans at 12 and the impressive de Allende at 13 makes sense given Am can’t play every game as he has done thus far and therefore needs a rest.

Lood for useless Mostert should have happened months ago. RG is way ahead of Mostert as well and it looks like Rassie has thankfully eventually woken up to this fact.

Kolisi needs game time after a long lay off. We need him finding form as we do Willie, Pollard and Faf

Oct 06, 2019, 23:45

I would have rested Delande, and tried Gelant at 13.  It is a nothing match, so the main goal must be to rest the key first-choice players.

Changing Nkosi to the opposite wing, given that Mampimpi is in form, is also surprising. I would have suggested playing Nkosi instead of Mampimpi, but it seems Pimpi is getting better. His try-scoring ratio is very good 

AM is probably being rested, not sure why Delande is not rested as well.

I don't see Rassie changing Delande from 12 at this stage, even for the experience of Frans Steyn. The main issue is experience with Pollard as a combination with Delande, even if it is predictable.

Oct 06, 2019, 23:57

Agreed de Allende should have been rested as well but then Mapimpi would have had to have started.

There is no way in hell Rassie will leave de Allende or Am out the starting side after Canada

I’m hoping Willemse shines against Canada so that he can replace useless Frans on the bench moving forward

Oct 07, 2019, 03:27

No - there is a lot of inaccuracies above from all of Strzok, CAMB and Sharksbok and I will answer part of those by my comments on the original thread by Roinek:-

I think there will be some halftime changes made - like moving Willemse to flyhalf and bringing on Le Roux to replace Willemse at full back.  Reason we need cover  for Pollard and at present there is none really usable ones.

Kwagga has been problematic thus far and I think Du Toit might replace him rather early as well.

Using De Allende at 13 is another of those changes - he has not played at 13 since 2014 and the back-up position in that position is problematic as well.   I think Pollard will also replce steyn ar 12 rather early.

It is also becoming clearer who would be in the quarterfinal team - looks to me that it would be as follows:-

15  Le Roux, 14  Kolbe, 13  Am, 12 De Allende, 11  Mapimpi, 10  Pollard, 9  Faf, 8  Vermeulen, 7  Du Toit, 6  Kolisi, 5  De Jager, 4  Etzebeth, 3  Malherbe, 2 Mbonambi, 1 Mtawarira

16  Marx, 17  Koch, 18  Kitshof, 19  Snyman, 20  Louw, 21  Jantjies, 22  Willemse, 23 Nkosi,  

Now some extra info about the contributors above:-

Strzok

Is Willemse not supposed to be warming a bench in Green Point?  I think I heard a rumour about that.  

CAMB

De Allende never really played at 13 before,   The first time I saw De Allende was in a Western Province Currie Cup match in 2012,  He was on the bench and came on from the bench where he was used on the wing,   I was impressed by a very good try he scored in the match.   The next game he was in the team was to my surprise his inclusion in the starting team was at 12.  For the rest on local level he never played at 13. 

Meyer had a habit of playing 12's at 13 (eg Steyn at 12 and De Villiers at 13) so in two tests in 2014 against Argentina he used De Allende in both at 13,   Even though De Allende was the best ball carrier in both matches for the Springboks,  his defense was frail - perhaps showing that he never was used to play at 13 before.

SB  

First cast your mind back to 2015 when the squad selection was such a bugger-up that the 15 frontline players had to play in virtually all tests - never to be really rested.   In the present games none of the players other then Am  played in all three matches,  The other players had been utilized sparingly and at most will end up with less than 160 minutes played in the round robin stage of the tournament.   

As to useless Frans and the inexperienced Gelant at center being the center combination is just unthinkable,  Gelant could be tried at 13 on franchise/provincial level first before experimenting with him in a test.   De Allende cannot be spared - he is one of the team leaders in the squad at present.   Somebody has to keep that backline in order and none of the others can do that,                   

Oct 07, 2019, 05:29

Brilliant Poofter......you select the team that played against Italy, except on the bench you change Frans for Willemse, and drop Mostert for Nkosi.......I guess that's the Provincial Administration's version of an insight.

Oct 07, 2019, 07:17

I'm hoping for a brilliant performance from Willemse leaving Erasmus to have second thoughts about Le Roux. Come the crunch games when the pressure is on Le Roux is going to be a liability, by now the opposition would have penciled him in as a weakness, if we can see then so can they.

Oct 07, 2019, 10:33

Whatever combinations we might see in the Canada game, we're not going to learn much.

Oct 07, 2019, 10:57

Strzok

The player that can do well for himself in the round robin stage is Willemse.   For the rest it is just a teamsheet - so the real plyers are  rested.   

Was Willemse already in Japan when the team was announced?   I put Willemse in on merit and left out the weak Mostert.  So two mistakes according to you cause a rant of stupidity on your side.

Same as my explanation on the team to play Canada,  Who said Willemse will be bench-warming in  Green Point?  When will you ever be able to get out of the egg mountain you constantly get growing higher and higher over you.  Love to make an utter fool of yourself always?   LMAO.

It is weird - your pet hate idiocy Labuschagne is rated as the best loosie in the WC thus far, and obviously the best performing captain to date, so how stupid have you been for years,  Idiocy supreme is your motto,  LMAO    

Oct 07, 2019, 12:25

Willie is never a weakness he is just not on fire at the moment, but then nor are Faf and Pollard.

Willie in form is one of the best players in the game. One of the very few who are able to create something from nothing

Only a rugby dud would conclude he is not worthy

Oct 07, 2019, 16:04

"Only a rugby dud would conclude he is not worthy"

Count me as a rugby dud in that case. Willie le Roux is hopeless. An overrated poser who showed a tiny bit of flair 2 or 3 years ago and has been a useless passenger living off that hype ever since.

I'm so sick of watching this showpony botch tries with poor passes or silly little chip kicks that either gift possession back to the opposition or else go out of touch on the full . . . while his fanboys all jerk off and squeal about this apparent flair or "x-factor" that he has . . . but hasn't demonstrated in years now. 

He's crap. He wouldn't crack my extended squad let alone the starting XV.

Oct 07, 2019, 16:05

You put Willemse in on merit when he hasn't played a minute.....that just about sums up your selection process Poofter. Let's be honest here Eraser only called him up because Kriel was injured.....otherwise he would still be on the Green Point bench.

As for Liggies, I watched him against Samoa......the same light weight.....tossed around like a toothpick. Pretty much a Kwagga clone in his general play.

Oct 07, 2019, 16:08

Meant to add, the heading of this thread is laughably clumsy.

"Any info in the Boks for Canada team?"

Hmmm . . . maybe we should open one of the Boks up and see if there is in fact any info inside that Canada could use?

LMAO!

Oct 07, 2019, 16:08

'jerk off and squeal'....you have used this so often now Peeper, one can only assume you squeal when you jerk off.

Oct 07, 2019, 17:03

Strzok - the Liar personified

You are so stupid in getting aught out peddling lies on site it is unbelievable.  First of all the Willemse story and your bench-warming in Green Point statement.   The statement - :" he hasn't played a minute".   In the two weeks before the team selection for the World Cup was announced Willemse  played 90 minutes,  You posed the Green Point idiocy even after Erasmus stated that he wants him to go to play for Saracens so he is fit if it was necessary for him to be called up.   Fact is - if Willemse had a few games before the two  he played in Steyn would not have been anywhere near the squad,   

Secondly - your idiocy about Labuschagne is unbelievable and the lies constant,   I will give you two things to do before you repeat your lies on site.    Go and look at the ESPN stats and see whether that reflects any "tossed around" issue clarified,   Labuschagne also took a number of line-outs and that was clear takes as well.   

Thirdly Rugby Magazine rates Labuschagne the best performing loosie in the WC thus far,  So happy Distortion and Liars Day to you.

Liar - when you write BS on site - make it more difficult to catch you out.   At this stage you are so easy to catch out it makes you look stupid as a result,   Think before you write garbage on site - best advice,  

LMAO            

Oct 07, 2019, 18:31

Stop your hysterical squealing Poofter, Willemse is not first choice even for the Stormers and Liggies is a second tier flank, many coaches have passed on him. He was totally ineffective in the physical stuff against Samoa.

Oct 07, 2019, 19:48

At least with Willemse we will have someone attacking space and having enough pace to get past defenders unlike old man Frans who puts his head down and targets the closest defender. Boring and predictable and so easy to defend

Oct 07, 2019, 20:02

Ag Foeitog Strzok

Stop lying and some people may ultimately believe you.   What is the stats saying about the Samoa game sheister?   Labuschagne was not thrown around by any Samoans and never in this series.   When did you see that about the game?   And the sort of dud selections by Meyer and Coetzee are classics,   

Now tell me something else - idiot?  This is about something about resting of players in WC series, So after the Japan disaster Meyer had so many duds in his squad he had to play players continuously with virtually no rest for all the real players in the squad.

6 Players in the 2015 WC squad played less than 60 minutes in the whole series and 2 played between 80 and 160 minutes in the whole series,  That is why the real players were dead on their feet when the play-offs got around,

Fact is you lie and then wants people to believe what you write,   Follow my advice  you lie and then get caught out easily - so try and find ways to reduce he ease.  Best advice I can offer.                

Oct 07, 2019, 20:30

Poofter when I turn to an old Queer whose best option in life was to work for the government, will be the day I stop following the game.

Oct 07, 2019, 20:56

I know I am not a queer - I also know you are a habitual liar,  You following rugby is part of your ignorant lies.   

Oct 07, 2019, 21:06

Sure Poofter.....that's sooooo convincing. Why not just come out the closet and live your life as a free ....er...man.

Oct 07, 2019, 21:40

The level of "debate" between our two resident geriatrics - Moffie and ou Maaik - has never been of a particularly high standard. I wouldn't have though that infantile level could have sunk much lower but this thread proves me wrong. 

Oct 07, 2019, 21:41

?????????????????? This from an idiot called Strzok!!!!!!

Oct 07, 2019, 21:41

?????????????????? This from an idiot called Strzok!!!!!!

Oct 07, 2019, 22:22

I have to say that I suspect most people here are friends of Dorothy. I watch make back when posting XD

Oct 07, 2019, 22:45

Actually Peeper you are often proven wrong old codger.....as in this case where I am simply following your tedious path, but with a lot more justification. But I must say, relative to you, the Poofter looks like a success in life.

Oct 08, 2019, 05:11

:D:D:D

Incidentally Strzok 

Go to the following website and see whose photo is included in the Saracen squad:-

https://www.ultimaterugby.com/saracens/squad

Enjoy the self-inflicted punishment you thrive in.  

Oct 08, 2019, 06:11

"Only a rugby dud would conclude he is not worthy"

"Count me as a rugby dud in that case. Willie le Roux is hopeless. An overrated poser who showed a tiny bit of flair 2 or 3 years ago and has been a useless passenger living off that hype ever since."

Correct. 

If he's out of form as our resident Rugby World Authority would have us believe then I suggest he's been out of form for at least 2 years. Le Roux, the last line of defence, is a liability. How anyone can be blind sighted to his failings is beyond understanding. Willemse is probably not the answer for the quantum leap in class and it's probably too late in the day for a change of player but geeez I freeze every time Le Roux has an overlap but chooses to chip kick or when he's under the high ball.

Oct 08, 2019, 11:52

It is a very interesting team selection. It is always hard to try and manage your team. But after this round, they won't play until 10 days later. So there will be a lot of down time. 

So Kwotalisi is definitely out of form and under cook for this WC. 

Donkey Allende will probably just tractor the ball up. 

I would like to see Willemse at 13 or even Gelant. Both with good feet that can break the line. But I would also like to see our wings in play. 

But why not put Reinach on the wing for this game. The guy is incredibly quick and gives Jantjies a full game at 9

Wonder whether we should have gone with Marx at 2 and Brits at 8 again. Seem to work last time around

Oct 08, 2019, 12:09

Good old Rassie must be beyond understanding then as well

Fact is Willie was good last year under Rassie but has misfired this year but is not alone in that department

Oct 08, 2019, 16:34

Any ideas on what the Canadian captain said to the team after the game.

Here is my version.

"Well done lads, yet another close game".

You need to Log in to reply.