FIXTURESNo upcoming fixtures — check back soon.
FORUM / RUGBY /  Botha gets a rematch and is cleared in drug test!

Botha gets a rematch and is cleared in drug test!

Started by Beeno13 REPLIES203 VIEWS· 18 Feb 2013, 18:58
SHAREXFACEBOOKWHATSAPPTELEGRAMREDDITLINKEDIN
BE
Beeno1Captain40,032 posts
18 Feb 2013, 18:58
#1
18 Feb 2013, 18:58#1

What a charade! At least Botha gets his name cleared re drug taking. What excuse now from saSUE?

Ex Sport 24Cape Town - South African heavyweight Francois Botha will get a second go in the boxing ring against former All Black rugby star Sonny Bill Williams.

According to the Rapport website, Botha and Williams have agreed to a rematch in December in South Africa. This comes after Williams defeated the 44-year-old Botha in Brisbane, Australia on February 8. The fight was marred in controversy when it ended with Williams receiving a unanimous points decision. But the fight ended after 10 rounds, instead of 12, as per World Boxing Association (WBA) rules and as had been advertised. Botha was furious with officials after the decision was made to shorten the bout, with the 44-year-old looking to have worn out Williams by the end of the 10th."You know I love Sonny Bill, I think he's a great guy, a gentleman, but this was bullshit," the 115kg "White Buffalo" said after the fight. Botha's boxing promoter, Thinus Strydom, said he and Williams's agent, Khoder Nasser, agreed to a rematch at 07:00 on Wednesday morning. "Nasser phone me early and agreed on a fight in South Africa," said Strydom. "They do however have a few pre-conditions, like sending samples three months prior to the fight as well as directly after the fight for dope tests. We don't have an issue with that." Reports from New Zealand and Australia claimed after the first fight that Botha had tested positive for banned substances, but the South African tested negative upon his return to the country. Strydom confirmed the fight will take place sometime in December. "Out of principle we decided on December and we must now get a suitable date with the TV companies before signing the final contract." Strydom also assured that this time the fight will be decided over 12 rounds - as stipulated by WBA rules.
HA
hakwaPro4,146 posts
19 Feb 2013, 02:13
#2
19 Feb 2013, 02:13#2

"Botha had tested positive for banned substances, but the South African tested negative upon his return to the country." trying very hard not to laugh! I wonder what dodgey lab did his tests on his return to the country or whether he found the right drug to clear his system damage control Beeno!


CL
clevermikeCoach57,555 posts
19 Feb 2013, 05:37
#3
19 Feb 2013, 05:37#3

Hakwa

Why demean yourself by discussing this farce - and it was one?   Incidentally my advice remains - Williams is no boxer - he should stick with rugby -  and the Brisbane fight probably was a gambling farce off gigantic proportions.   

TF
TC-FiremanRookie17 posts
19 Feb 2013, 10:48
#4
19 Feb 2013, 10:48#4

Oh please Mike

Demean oneself discussing this?

Yes it was a farce, but not from Botha's side.  He may be over the hill to some extent but he has been through the wars and certainly earned the right to set the record straight with another fight.

This is by no means demeaning.  It certainly beats talking about all the other shit that's currently on here.

— END OF THREAD —

More from Rugby

More news