JJ Engelbrecht is enjoying the pressure that accompanies the key position of No 13, and hopes to make as big an impact on defence as he does on attack, reports JON CARDINELLI in Durban.
The 24-year-old couldn't stop smiling when he was interviewed by SARugbymag.co.za on Wednesday. It's been a year since he was first brought into the Springbok training squad and he has finally convinced Heyneke Meyer that he is ready to start.
Of course, Engelbrecht is fortunate that some of the more experienced outside-centre options are currently unavailable. But then, based on his form over this past Super Rugby season, and given the massive strides he's made on defence in that crucial No 13 position, Engelbrecht deserves an opportunity to show Meyer what he can do.
Meyer surprised a lot of people when he picked Engelbrecht for his initial training squad in 2012. Engelbrecht had just moved from the Stormers to the Bulls, and was at that stage known as a wing with a penchant for attack.
It came as a shock to hear Meyer speaking of Engelbrecht as a possible option at outside centre, not only for the Bulls, but for the Boks.
Engelbrecht made his debut for the Boks that year, coming off the bench to play wing against Argentina in Cape Town. Thereafter, he was sent back to the Bulls to work on his defensive shortcomings.
Nine months on, he has become one of the stars of the Bulls backline and is one of the reasons why the Pretoria franchise has maintained such a strong defensive record.
On Wednesday, he could not contain his excitement about the prospect of starting for the Boks. He understands that there will be pressure to perform, but he explained that he has grown to enjoy that responsibility.
'I've been waiting for this opportunity for a long time,' he told this website. 'I really feel I've improved since I was first included in the Bok training squad. My defence was the problem last year, I tended to shoot out of the line. I've worked hard at the Bulls and believe that this problem is now sorted out.'
Jean de Villiers has been named in the starting line-up at No 12, but there's a chance that he will not feature in Saturday's Test at Kings Park. The Bok captain is battling a hamstring injury, and will attempt to train for the first time on Wednesday.
While the Bok management remains optimistic that De Villiers will pass fit, Jan Serfontein may have to start in De Villiers's stead. This would see Engelbrecht playing alongside his Bulls team-mate.
'We will see how training goes,' Engelbrecht said. 'I'm looking forward to playing alongside Jean, there's a lot I can learn from a player of his immense experience.
'At the same time, it would be good to play with Jan. He's a great No 12, and I find that when he plays there it opens up more space for guys like me on the outside.'
Meyer said that he wants to see a more balanced approach from the Boks when they play Italy this Saturday. The usual defensive standards will need to be met, but the selection of that backline indicate that the Boks will be given more licence to attack.
The Bok coach explained the selection of fullback Willie le Roux as such. Le Roux will be encouraged to play as he does at the Cheetahs and, contrary to popular perception, Meyer hasn't instructed Le Roux to kick every ball out.
'We will be going out there to enjoy ourselves,' said Engelbrecht. 'Italy has a strong pack, so that's where it starts for us, and we won't want to give their backline any room either.
'I'm so excited, and if there is pressure, it's a good pressure.'
Photo: Getty Images
Captain23,298 posts
05 Jun 2013, 18:16
#1
05 Jun 2013, 18:16#1


