FIXTURESNo upcoming fixtures — check back soon.
FORUM / RUGBY /  Kings concerned about Watson

Kings concerned about Watson

Started by sharkbok1 REPLIES194 VIEWS· 11 Mar 2013, 19:58
SHAREXFACEBOOKWHATSAPPTELEGRAMREDDITLINKEDIN
sharkbok
sharkbokCaptain23,298 posts
11 Mar 2013, 19:58
#1
11 Mar 2013, 19:58#1

Luke Watson © Gallo Images Photo Galleries Play our Super Rugby games and WIN Dewald Potgieter is a Travellin' Soldier Kings have concerns around Puke Watson by Gavin Rich 11 March 2013, 16:21
 

With Luke Watson still struggling with a throat injury, the last thing the Southern Kings would have needed ahead of their Vodacom Super Rugby clash with the Chiefs in Port Elizabeth on Friday night was a problem with Jacques Engelbrecht.

That though was precisely the situation the Kings faced on Monday, with the rangy No 8 forced to undergo X-rays to assess damage to a sore rib area following the 21-12 loss to the Sharks at Nelson Mandela Stadium last weekend. Fortunately though Kings director of rugby Alan Solomons has disclosed that the X-rays have not uncovered anything that should necessarily threaten his place in the team for the match against the tournament champions.

“He has been for X-rays and everything looks okay, but we will keep a close eye on him for the rest of the week,” said Solomons on Monday.

It looks unlikely that Watson will be fit to lead the side against the Chiefs as he is set to revisit specialists this week to check on the throat complaint that has bothered him since the opening victory against Western Force two weeks ago.

“Luke will be doing further tests this week and will be going back to the specialist later in the week,” said Solomons.

Watson was initially named as a loose-forward reserve for this past weekend’s game as the Kings gave him every chance to recover and be on hand to offer his influence from the bench against the Sharks, but he was eventually forced to withdraw from the squad.

Meanwhile the bad news for the Kings as they prepare for the overseas tour that is now imminent is that former Lions back Michael Killian will be out for another four weeks after refracturing his arm in training last week. According to a press release issued by the Kings, he will not be able to train until his arm has reknitted.

OI
oimateyPro1,870 posts
11 Mar 2013, 22:28
#2
11 Mar 2013, 22:28#2

Unfortunate - with both those two on the field the Kings had a couple of tough hombres. Both good tacklers and hard runners although Jacques Engelbrecht had more than a couple jarred loose in contact on Saturday - understandable if he was suffering from a rib injury though.

 

 

— END OF THREAD —

More from Rugby

More news