http://www.iol.co.za/news/south-africa/gauteng/joost-i-will-be-with-jesus-soon-1.1507211
Joost van der Westhuizen has admitted his health was so bad his daily routine now involved a walking aid, a wheelchair, drinking through straws and people ready to help him around, his wheelchair was damaged on a flight from Durban to Joburg.
Johannesburg - In the week Joost van der Westhuizen admitted his health was so bad his daily routine now involved a walking aid, a wheelchair, drinking through straws and people ready to help him around, his wheelchair was damaged on a flight from Durban to Joburg.
Mango Airlines apologised profusely to the former Springbok for breaking the wheelchair and have promised to replace it.
This week Van der Westhuizen spewed abhorrence at the low-cost airline after his flight had been delayed for two hours and he arrived at his destination to find his wheelchair had been broken.
He tweeted: “@FlyMangoSA Had the worst Mango experience. Flight two hours late, stuck paraplegic pax (sic) all over. Broke my wheelchair!!!!!”
Shortly after his tweet, Mango replied: “@9Joost We are terribly sorry to hear you had a bad experience with us – please e-mail guestcare@flymango.com with the details so we can assist.”
Mango spokesman Hein Kaiser confirmed the wheelchair was damaged, but that the airline had taken it in for repairs and given Van der Westhuizen a temporary replace-ment.
“We are very sorry this happened. We have spoken to our third party insurance company, who will replace the wheelchair.
“We have provided him with a loan chair in the meantime,” Kaiser said.
It has emerged that the former Bok captain’s quality of life has deteriorated considerably since his motor neurone disease (MND) progressed to the second phase, according to the latest YOU magazine.
Van der Westhuizen, 42, has lost 18kg as eating is more difficult.
“I’ve told them (my kids Kylie, 9, and Jordan, 7) that Dadda is probably going to be with Jesus,” he said.
“Jordan said, ‘Before you go I want to come and fetch my toys’.”
He was diagnosed with MND in May 2011 and only 20 percent of MND sufferers live for five years.
what a shitty arline, but u always get porblems with those cheap airlines.
quantas would have to be the worst airline ive ever dealt with, usless bunch of tools, havent had any problems with any others though.
very sad to hear that about joost, hope his kids are all right during these sad times.
thanks for all the memories joost, ur a rugby legened across the world, :o)
thoughts and prayers with u and urs joost, and may God comfort u and ur loved ones during these difficult times.
I will always remember Joost as the first player at the RWC who took down Jonah Lomu in full flight from the front. Who would have thought those two wonderful athletes would be in such health difficulties, at such young ages.
Hallo Julle, been away for a bit but Sunday is computer time. There are many sports people with ailments and serious injuries, but these two guys (Joost and Jonah) are special. Joost had the deceptive ability and Jonah was just Jonah, many have tried after him but no one could be like him. Rugby misses the likes of these two greats - not to say we have no great players in the game now, but we will remember these two heros of the game.
Rest well Joost my friend and maybe soon you will be free of pain and suffering. Peace!
Very sad indeed for Joost and his family. Best scrummie I saw. No fear player with tremendous pace.
Man it too bad. God Bless Joost.