You need to LOG IN to reply.

Cricket Nuts.....

Forum » Cricket » Cricket Nuts.....

May 16, 2019, 13:41

if Markram bats, not sure why there's an "if" instead of a should, let it go at that.....Amla to open, an allrounder, 3 quicks and a spinner in a balanced side...question....which batsman would you drop?

May 16, 2019, 16:29

This is easy. I'd kick Miller to the bench.

He is wonderfull to watch, but way too inconsistent.

1. H Amla
  2. Q de Kock
  3. A Markram
  4. F du Plessis
  5. Rattie van die Dustbin
  6. JP Duminy
  7. D Pretorius
  8. A Phehlukwayo
  9. D Steyn
  10. Rabada
  11. Tahir
Reasoning:
  1. We have 6 possible bowling options, including 2 of the worlds best.
  2. Phehlukwayo and Pretorous could do well together in English conditions if they hit decent lines. Bobblers have always done there.
  3. We have batting depth to number 8, which could come in handy against better bowling sides, considering how fragile our batting is at the moment.
  4. I'd play miller in a few of the easier games. I just find him way too inconsistent.
  5. Between F du Plessis, JP Duminy, D Pretorius and A Phehlukwayo we have a few players capable of finishing off and innings or closing off  game.

May 16, 2019, 19:51

I'm with Flash. Miller had a very ordinary IPL and he's no Klusener.

We're a two (maybe three) man team. If Quinton de Kock doesn't make the runs and if Rabada doesn't take the wickets (or doesn't regain fitness) then we're screwed. A fit and firing Dale Steyn will definitely make us a three man team and if Aiden Markram fulfills his massive potential in the white ball game we could even be contenders . . . but no-one chokes like the Proteas. 

Let's all just pray we don't get to the semis and have to play New Zealand!

I reckon India are a good bet to win, England second.

May 17, 2019, 01:07

My question was prompted after I read an article in which the scribe suggested dropping van der Dussen. He did acknowledge that it would be unfortunate because the said batsman has a batting average of 89 and he chose one allrounder, Phehlukwayo. I'm with you guys in dropping Miller.

Flash, Pretorius should never be part of any cricket debate.....tx. We are talking WC not the family and friends knockabout in between the braai at the local park. 

I think there's a group of world class standard in KG, Dale, Ngidi, Markram, Quinton, Faf and the underrated Tahir. Van Der Dussen has shown remarkable maturity and could add value. Ngidi is a must for every important game. We'll only know after the WC what value Faf's captaincy brought to the team's success, I suspect it's going to be a factor.

If what I've seen of the wickets in the current England vs Pakistan's series is anything to go by then fronting with 3 quicks is a no brainer. There's nice variety amongst our quicks and our attack without a doubt is up there with the best in the world and having a West Indian coach will enhance their performance. Tahir fortifies the attack.

Now if only we had AB360.

May 17, 2019, 08:24

Sorry Denny. Just to chip in here. What is an 89% batting average?

Flash I'm also not keen on DM. He scores well against average bowlers. But he really isn't consistent enough to be in our top 6.

May 17, 2019, 14:15

Batting stats

Batting statsTestODIT20IPL
Matches097-
Innings087-
Runs0353253-
Balls-467190-
Average088.2536.14-
Strike rate-75.59133.16-
Highest scores09364-
Not outs040-
100s000-
50s042

May 19, 2019, 20:47

Chippo, I think the answer to your question is that Dense has no idea what a 89% batting average means. 

I'm sure you and I both know what a batting average of 89 means but like you I have no idea what a batting average of 89 per cent means.

May 22, 2019, 02:12

This summary from the article Blikkies published above, says it all:

'South Africa (Prediction: 7th)

Forget the choking tag – South Africa are just going to be straight up disappointing at this tournament. Former matchwinners like Hashim Amla and Dale Steyn are probably over the hill, the quality of players coming out of the domestic circuit is pretty mediocre, and they’ve shown a comparable inability to make huge scores in recent months. Their one chance is if the pitches are extraordinarily friendly towards fast bowling, but that’s almost certainly not going to happen.

Key players: Believe the hype about Kagiso Rabada – the 23 year old tearaway really is as good as people say he is. But he’s also under a serious injury cloud that could limit his involvement in the tournament. With the bat, Quinton de Kock is who South Africa will be praying for, but the diminutive destroyer probably doesn’t have the consistency to really carry his team.'

Think about it this way....Miller is a lucky packet, as I have frequently said. But the equation has changed as you can see from our 7th ranking. We only have a lucky packet's chance.

I say go for the 10% chance he comes off, versus the certainty that our batting lineup has no explosiveness beyond the other lucky packet Quintie.

May 22, 2019, 03:57

Amla.

Markham.

Du Plessis.

Miller.

Quintie.

Duminy.

Morris.

Pretorius.

Pheh.

Rabada.

Ngidi.

Tahir.

More bowling, an explosive middle order, more reliability up front, basically more of everything (tic)....stick with moz.

A side more likely to have a big loss, but also more likely to have a big win....we have to play the tail of the probability distribution.

Gnits alert.

May 22, 2019, 05:55

"..... an explosive implosive middle order"

The more likely team is closer to the above selected by 'Flash with one adjustment.

1. H Amla
  2. Q de Kock
  3. A Markram
  4. F du Plessis
  5. Rattie van die Dustbin
  6. JP Duminy
  7. A Phehlukwayo
  8. Ngidi
  9. D Steyn
  10. Rabada
  11. Tahir

May 22, 2019, 09:17

The tails a bit long Den.

May 22, 2019, 10:25

Sorry mate you've lost me, if you referring to this one then nope, I disagree....

1. Ngidi
  2. D Steyn
  3. Rabada
  4. Tahir

May 22, 2019, 14:31

Denny, a long tail means that there are too many bowlers that cant bat very well.

So I tend to disagree...

Having 8,9,10 and 11 who can barely get 20 runs between them (though Rabada has scored some handy runs recently), means that our tail is long.

With your lineup, effectivly, we run out of batsman after Phehlukwayo.... hence id opt for an extra batsman.

May 22, 2019, 15:08

I'd put my 12 man team with 9 batsmen, 7 bowlers and 12 fielders up against your squads any day......Gnits alert.....and you chaps were Paul Newmaned.

I'd opt for an extra player....that's what this new generation Proteas team will need!

May 22, 2019, 18:27

Amla played  in only fie ODI's this year and failed in all five - he made reasonable runs in 2 of the five ODI's - but the Proteas lost because of a decline in his strike rate.   In the three ODI's he failed the Proteas won the games.   

Amla had zero game time - even on provincial level - since January and in view of his failure in ODI;s spanning more than a year - his selection for the squad was dubious,   The Amla problem remains, but there  are two warm-up games - the one on Friday and the other on Sunday,   He should play in both and if he fails in those he should not be trusted to play in any game in the WC.

The two warm-up matches will be on DSTV and I will report back on same.       

May 25, 2019, 02:34

@ 'Flash

I don't share your faith in Pretorius, that's where we differ. I understand where you're coming from but that fella would give away twice as many runs when he bowls as when he bats. You're stereotyping a tail that wags based on a useful allrounder like a Klusener.....well he isn't a Klusener like allrounder. His bowling is pathetic and his batting isn't to be relied upon. With Steyn's fitness increasingly doubtful I can see him playing but that would be under sufferance not by ideal choice.

I'm not getting my hopes up but it is great to see Amla batting with confidence and Andile adding substance to the role of allrounder. Markrams underachieving is a concern. Shamsi, as I've always maintained, is useless. Rabada needs to tighten up and Ngidi is going to be the star of the attack.

You need to Log in to reply.