Fifties for Amla, Du Plessis as Proteas make strong start against Sri Lanka

Forum » Cricket » Fifties for Amla, Du Plessis as Proteas make strong start against Sri Lanka

May 24, 2019, 15:12

Hashim Amla made a welcome return to form on Friday, and Proteas captain Faf du Plessis was also among the runs in the World Cup warm-up match against Sri Lanka in Cardiff.

Unfortunately for Aiden Markram, he got out just when he looked to be settled at the crease. He chased a wide one from Suranga Lakmal, and edged it behind for 21.

But Amla got through a tricky opening period, where the ball moved around, to establish a 128-run partnership for the second wicket for Du Plessis.

The experienced pair were rollicking along at more than six runs per over, but after it seemed as if they were both going to score centuries, they were dismissed within three balls.

Amla fell first, for 65 (off 61 balls, 9x4), when he was undone by spinner Jeevan Mendis and bowled.

Skipper Du Plessis was the more fluent of the two, hitting some sixes as well, having just come off a long IPL campaign.

But he went for one big hit too many, and skied Dhananjaya de Silva to long-on for a sparkling 88 off 69 balls (7x4, 4x6).

Rassie van der Dussen started the rebuilding phase with David Miller, but the latter played a loose shot to midwicket off Isuru Udana and was brilliant caught by Dimuth Karunaratne for five.

Latest score: South Africa 225/4 off 35 overs.

May 25, 2019, 02:30

Denny

It was indeed a tricky start for Amla.   At one stage he had 3 runs after facing 15 balls and he did look poor,   Markram had to hit out at everything to keep a reasonable run rate going - since Amla was doing the exact opposite,   Markram was out on 21 having faced 15 balls.

Amla then started hitting fours - which gave him a good score - but when the spinners came on he was clean-bowled.   Not entirely happy about what happened.  Amla will have to show us on Sunday whether he can survive against the Windies bowlers.    

I m still not sure about the openers - Amla could easily have been out a number of times in the first few overs,  

What was more disappointing was the batting of Miller and Duminy.    That remains a serious deficiency,   Millers fielding was top notch though and so was Markram's. 

I was also impressed by the bowling of Ngidi and Phehlukwayo - but seriously worried about the fielding of the latter.    Because of poor fielding of the latter there were at least 4 fours hit by the Sri Lanka batsmen that he could have prevented and he missed a catch as well.                

May 25, 2019, 02:41

Quinnie and Markram to open with Amla at first drop. You're not going to get a dividend out of the serial choker, Miller..... and Duminy will have one good bat.

May 25, 2019, 03:52

I tend to agree with you here,   I think the batters should be as follows:-

1   De Kock

2   Markram

3   Amla

4   Du Plessis

5   Van der Dussen

6   Duminy

My only problem is that Amla struggles badly against swing and spin bowling and he may even at 3 be exposed to that.   Not sure about what will happen on Sunday,   

Let hope that issue gets cleared up in the warm up match against the Windies  on Sunday.    

May 25, 2019, 05:37

Hahahaha, now you agree Amla should be in the team.

May 25, 2019, 09:30

Based om yesterday performance - maybe,  even though he was dicey initially.   So lets see wat happens tomorrow.     

You need to Log in to reply.