FIXTURESNo upcoming fixtures — check back soon.
FORUM / RUGBY /  Brits' Bok dream realised- to carry the bags and get no playing time

Brits' Bok dream realised- to carry the bags and get no playing time

Started by sharkbok6 REPLIES227 VIEWS· 05 Nov 2012, 08:41
SHAREXFACEBOOKWHATSAPPTELEGRAMREDDITLINKEDIN
sharkbok
sharkbokCaptain23,300 posts
05 Nov 2012, 08:41
#1
05 Nov 2012, 08:41#1

 

Brits' Bok dream realised Sun, 04 Nov 2012 9:30 AM  EmailMore

Schalk Brits has admitted that he thought his international career was over before receiving a surprise Bok call-up last week.

The dynamic Saracens hooker last played for the Springboks in 2008, after which he made a highly succesful move to the Premiership, playing a key role as Saracens dominated the competition in 2011.

Although Brits has been one of the most dangerous players in the Premiership in the last few years, the 31-year-old did not expect to get a call from Bok coach Heyneke Meyer ahead of the year-end tour.

He told the Daily Telegraph: "I never imagined that when I played against Australia in Perth in 2008, that it would be my last cap. But it looked that way. You always have a dream, you always hope, but the reality was there.

"I knew I'd made my bed in many ways by coming to Saracens three years ago. The chances of playing for my country again were slim to nothing," he said.

Brits realises that he is likely to play a supporting role, but is viewing the tour as an opportunity to show that he can make as much of an impact in the Test arena.

"And now? Well, look, there are a stack of injuries in the Springboks, I've got the call and if they want me to hold a tackle bag, I'll hold a tackle bag, come on for 30 seconds at the end of a game, I'll come on with a smile on my face. I'm going to relish every second. It's a second lease of life," he said.

Brits believes that the key to his success in England has been the positive environment at Saracens, which has given him the opportunity to make the most of his abilities.

"Beyond my wildest imaginings, I can't believe how it's turned out," he said.

"Brendan Venter sold me his vision for Saracens and, boy, it's been better than even he described it."

"Saracens have made rugby fun again. There's hard work to do, of course and I have to say my front five forwards around me have made me look good. But there's so much more to it all at Saracens."

sharkbok
sharkbokCaptain23,300 posts
05 Nov 2012, 08:44
#2
05 Nov 2012, 08:44#2

Team building happens in 4 year cycles. Every game should be an improvement from the last game, and each season better than the last season.

-

No point choosing a player that will not even make the match day 22 in the squad that will not make the next world cup. If a player is overseas and at least the 2nd choice it makes sense, but ideally should be the first choice player. No point selecting a 3rd choice player even after injuries to be apart of the squad, especiallu a 3rd choice player that will not be in the next world cup cycle.

CL
clevermikeCoach57,555 posts
05 Nov 2012, 08:51
#3
05 Nov 2012, 08:51#3

Sharkbok

I think Brits will be on the bench on Saturday.   Rallepele has been out as a result of injury for three months and the only comeback game he played in was for about 20 minutes in the CC Semi.   I think injuries hamstrung Meyer in this case - and the dismal performnce of Burden in the CC Final put pay to his selection.   No other SA hooker was suitable and the selection of Rallepele was dicey - to say the least.

sharkbok
sharkbokCaptain23,300 posts
05 Nov 2012, 09:03
#4
05 Nov 2012, 09:03#4

@mike, good point. Although I am surprised that Meyer is allowed to choose a non-white player in this circumstance. Jake White was never allowed to do this. I do rate Rallepele and he has many good performances, especially over the last 2 years 

CL
clevermikeCoach57,555 posts
05 Nov 2012, 09:43
#5
05 Nov 2012, 09:43#5

Sharkbok

The pressure is still there - but not as noisy as it used to be with Komphela.   That in fact accounts for selection of really dicey players - that at best perform moderately on Super Series and CC level - and yet find themselves in the Springbok squad. 

The Government pressure accounts for dicey decisions - such as the one on the Queens.   

Recently the Minister of Sport has supported the Natinal teams publcly and acted strongly when the sponsors became wary of the  financial goings on at Cricket and the dismal performances of SA in soccer.  

BE
Beeno1Captain40,032 posts
05 Nov 2012, 11:04
#6
05 Nov 2012, 11:04#6

Dicey you say mike. Would I be exaggerating to say Deon Fourie is TWICE the player chilli boy is. Meyers selections be it coaching staff or players smack of political interference.

CH
chiprollRookie28 posts
05 Nov 2012, 11:19
#7
05 Nov 2012, 11:19#7

i agree with beeno deon is much better than chili, chili does not have the form to go overseas he is stil recuwering from he injuries so meyer sould have got deon how is in great form and does not have injuries to worry about. bad section to go with chili

— END OF THREAD —

More from Rugby

More news