ABABasquefan
Pro2,549 posts
06 Mar 2016, 03:53#2
very bad news for the chiefs,..... weakens their forward pack big way,.....
MOMozart
Captain49,914 posts
MOMozartCaptain49,914 posts
06 Mar 2016, 04:12#3
Jaws is a decent player, but injuries are part of the scene....are you raising the white flag?
JWJust_win
Captain18,570 posts
JWJust_winCaptain18,570 posts
06 Mar 2016, 09:32#4
A temporary set back Moz; & we all know the value of "white flag" on this board & in s18 - there is no such thing
CLclevermike
Coach57,555 posts
CLclevermikeCoach57,555 posts
06 Mar 2016, 09:35#5
The Chiefs are very lucky - they have to play the Kings in SA and that should be a 5 pointer for them With or without Retallick the y have a crinkle paper scrum and will struggle against the Jaguares as a result.
ABABasquefan
Pro2,549 posts
06 Mar 2016, 15:24#6
"The Chiefs are very lucky"
really? in a thread about Retallick's injury?
and if the chiefs are very lucky for playing once against the kings, how do you catalogue the SA teams?
"The soft NZ conference"
"New Zealand - where scrumming is on a pathetically low level of competence"
"Crotty,... is a joke and a bad one at that"
"Other than Nadolo that backline is a joke as well"
changing your pills or what?
DBDbDraad
Captain26,388 posts
DBDbDraadCaptain26,388 posts
06 Mar 2016, 15:43#7
Basque, be prudent and take your own advice.
CLclevermike
Coach57,555 posts
CLclevermikeCoach57,555 posts
06 Mar 2016, 15:57#9
ABF
I look at the bigger picture insofar as the Chiefs are concerned - but did not my normal regrets about the injury to Retallick - which was a serious omission on my part for which I apologize sincerely.
However - what I did write was that Retallick did not add much to a desperately poor Chiefs Tight 5. They were desperately poor when Retallick was on the field of play yesterday and was not better or worse after he left the field of play. It was in that context that I said the fact that they play the Kings next is a blessing in disguise for the Chiefs.
There is to my mind no doubt about the very poor scrumming of NZ teams. It was the reason for the Brumbies wiping out the Hurricanes and why the Chiefs lost on Saturday. Lets face facts the Crusaders seems to have the best Tight 5 in New Zealand - they were better than the Chiefs - but not the extent that the Lions played the fool with the Chiefs scrumming. The Blues were better than the Highlanders in the game in Round 1 - but failed in the game against the Crusaders. The Hurricanes - after the wipe-out by the Brumbies was competitive against the Highlanders.
All in all both teams who played foreign teams failed badly in scrumming - so if you take the above explanation you will in all reasonable except that there is a serious scrumming deficiency in four of the NZ teams - the fifth team has still to be tested against foreign teams so as to see whether their capability is only internal against weak scrumming teams or whether they can also perform against foreign teams. The jury is out on that one.
Nobody in SA has taken Crotty seriously as a center - the players admired as centers have been Conrad Smith, Nonu and Fekitoa. Crotty had one good match o ver the last two years against the Shark - for the rest he was bog ordinary - not a house on fire.
Insofar as the Crusaders backline is concerned I think the loss of Carter was really a near-fatal loss and that Dagg has not been the full black he used to be. Whether Crotty or Dagg play will not make a material difference to the Crusaders backline - at least that is my opinion on the matter.
Some of what I write on this site is fishing and I loved your fishing clip - that was a classic. .
DBDbDraad
Captain26,388 posts
DBDbDraadCaptain26,388 posts
06 Mar 2016, 17:24#10
Basque, you crowned the SR champs after 2 roun ds.
JWJust_win
Captain18,570 posts
JWJust_winCaptain18,570 posts
06 Mar 2016, 17:32#11
DB, what will we all have to say if ABF proves to be right? No one else has been bold enough to make a prediction, not even the self declared man among men CC.
DBDbDraad
Captain26,388 posts
DBDbDraadCaptain26,388 posts
06 Mar 2016, 18:56#12
No problem with that JW, but if you're bold, it's a bit rich to tell others to stay calm.
ABABasquefan
Pro2,549 posts
06 Mar 2016, 22:03#13
so you think is the same to support and praise your own team than to throw rubbish on others ' teams?
how about if I begin to post how lucky the stormers are to have du Preez injured because they have the easiest fixtures of the competition? or how about saying that all the saffa backlines are crap and the stormers' backs are a collection of dwarfs unable to face a real backline of men? how about saying that Kolbe is a joke and the the whole stormers forward pack are a pathetic bunch of cry babies?
if you think that it's the same you probably have a problem
DBDbDraad
Captain26,388 posts
DBDbDraadCaptain26,388 posts
06 Mar 2016, 22:11#14
You've been running the Stormers down for years....nothing new. You seem a bit agitated, hence my suggestion to keep calm, obviously a tall order for you.
CLclevermike
Coach57,555 posts
CLclevermikeCoach57,555 posts
06 Mar 2016, 23:09#15
ABF
Sorry I upset you - it was not intended. I have been severely critical of SA teams - more so than anybody on this site and being objective is part of it. I also in the case of the Chiefs said that there forwards were dominated by the Crusaders and played the fool with by the Lions. Hence my comments about them being lucky that they do not have to face strong opposition in the upcoming game is reasonable I believe.
I have said worse things about the Stormers backline than you said above. I have consistently said the NZ teams have the best backlines in the competition - but because I do not rate Crotty you get upset.
Differences in opinion are what rugby forums are about and I often agree with you on issues - but in the case of the Crusaders I am not convinced you are correct. My point of view is that nothing has been proved in the games already played - bar serious misgivings about the scrumming of some teams - and I believe we must wait and see what happens in the later rounds in the competition.