Captain49,914 posts
28 Jan 2017, 04:56
#1
28 Jan 2017, 04:56#1
....3 of which weren't returned and 1 a clean ace. All this in the last game of the match. That's how you win these big matches, get the first serve in. Matter of fact you only have the first serve against Nadal, so destructive is the Spaniard against the second serve.
..........
Dimitrov played some wonderful tennis, but his first serve percentage was simply not high enough at crucial stages. He also struggled with the inside/out forehand which he generally never played with enough angle.
..........
So what about the final. You have Fed serving and volleying better than I recall. Rafa likewise is serving beautifully, although his forehand is oddly erratic. Still these matches have generally come down to Fed getting too conservative at critical points and Rafa pulling off a few stunning shots, it's in their dna.
...........
So given Rafa's 8 to 2 lead over Fed on hard courts those are about the odds I'd assign. Fed with a 20% chance of winning.I hope I'm wrong, nobody has played the game more elegantly or fairly. But Nadal is a bull and the toughest competitor on the men's side since John McEnroe.


