The strange way of Picking French Club players for the Speingbok team

Forum » Rugby » The strange way of Picking French Club players for the Speingbok team

Dec 15, 2013, 02:19

Meyer has an absolute affection - I nearly said affliction for picking French Club players not able to make the starting line-ups for their Clubs anymore and then trying to convince us that the said players have had wonderful games.

He started off last year by picking the grossly overweight Gurthro Steenkamp.  Steenkamp virtually  never starts for Toulouse as prop anymore.   On the odd accession that it happened it is the result of injury to their frontline players and is normally disastrous for Toulouse.   His scrumming is so bad that it normally has an important impact on Toulouse losses in games where he start as a prop.

The second player in that category is Morne Steyn.   The hype attached to him must have influenced Stade Francais to sign a contract with him despite his dubious defence.   He turn out to be bad news for them and is never used as a starting flyhalf by them - their frontline flyhalf is miles better than him.

The third player involved is Bakkies Botha.   It is almost insulting that Toulon now prefer Ali Williams as their starting lock.   While playing for the Blues this year Williams was comprehensively outplayed and even humiliated by all SA locks he came up against.  Even the gutless Juandre Kruger was better than him.

I really am amazed by Meyer's preference for these three players when their Clubs do not regard them as good enough for their starting line-ups.   Are the Clubs so deficient that they cannot see value in their performances - or is Meyer so taken up with them because of his coaching association with them - that he cannot see their inability to perform satisfactorily anymore?     Unfortunately it is clear the latter is the situation.

Dec 15, 2013, 14:36

Saffex

The trolls are trying to avoid this thread like the plague - because it hits them where the pain is worse.  What do you think about this one?

Dec 15, 2013, 14:42

Bakkies Botha starts for Toulon, he's their best lock. One French based player that I assumed was good was Rory Kockott but he doesn't seem to be an attacking minded player and I have yet to see one of his passes putting a player into space, Reinach is my one hope for a good SA scrummie. Mind I do still hold out hope that Hougaard will get his mojo back!

Dec 15, 2013, 14:45

Just found out the Senatla's new contract puts him in the WP Currie cup team, can't be bothered about making a thread.

Dec 15, 2013, 14:51

Hougaard was always better than Pienaar, but Meyer buckled under the anti-Bulls criticism and dropped him. Pienaar has never bettered Hougaard, he who was castigated after a game in which he made two try saving tackles and was left a sitting duck by the Sharks forwards. More bias that is costing the Boks. Hougaard must be Du Preez's understudy.

As per the French connection? What of it. If these players are so inadequate, then why are other countries interested in them? It only makes sense that they'd be in the running for Bok selection. Each player that Mike mentioned has made significant contributions to the Boks.

Dec 15, 2013, 14:54

Well Mike, you know that there is no way in hell Steenkamp, Bakkies or Morne would make my Bok squad of 100 players.

Shezza, Senatla should be playing S15 rugby, what a pity. The Cheetahs need to use Howard Mnisi from Griquas in the S15, he is a quality 12

Dec 15, 2013, 15:07

I am  not interested in dicussing French rugby any more. You habe already proven that you have no idea  and you do not believe your own eyes when it comes to watching the games. I can bring up a number of discussions where you have  embarrassed yourself in the past. You have no idea why MS did not play in the last game between Stade and London  Irish. You are speculating at best. Your speculations are all put together to suit your own stupid little agenda.

Here is another piece of your bullshit.
"The third player involved is Bakkies Botha.   It is almost insulting that Toulon now prefer Ali Williams as their starting lock."

I am not even going to bother giving you the line-ups again. I have done it in  the past after which you slipped away like a wet dream. Yes, Bakkies did not play yesterday but if you did indeed know what was going on you would not have made such a bullshit remark. You have just succeeded in making a complete doos of yourself.

Ali Williams is not preferred ahead of Bakkies. Bakkies is  his lock partner. I have told you numerous times but you just would not believe me. Bakkies did play last week and he was Ali Williams' lock partner and  yes, he did not play in the return  game yesterday. It was for a very good reason. This is where you are making a doos of yourself  for  the second time. He was tramped in the face last week  and had 14 stitches in his face.

http://cdn.24.co.za/files/Cms/General/d/2627/0da1b68844ed4fd885ae1ffb0c5cc70b.jpg

As you can see, he came very close to a serious injury and came very close to having a stud in  his right eye.

Dec 15, 2013, 15:23

Man that is two ugly scars for the big man

Dec 15, 2013, 15:44

He should, but I think it's out of personal choice that he wants to play Sevens.

I haven't found any Cheetah's squads mentioned yet so Mnisi could still be incuded, I know Sevens start Cornel Hendricks is included.

Dec 15, 2013, 16:00

Ceradyne 

Bakkies did not play yesterday - but he has not been in the Toulon starting line up since his return from Springbok duty.   He was heir back  up lock.   Doos - a few stiches and the softy cannot play.  He did squat in the tests he played in in any event.

Dec 15, 2013, 16:28

clevermike

RE: The strange way of Picking French Club players for the Speingbok team
December 15, 2013, 16:00:39

Ceradyne 

Bakkies did not play yesterday - but he has not been in the Toulon starting line up since his return from Springbok duty.   He was heir back  up lock.   Doos - a few stiches and the softy cannot play.  He did squat in the tests he played in in any event.

When are you going to stop talking kak? I have just told  you that Bakkies started against Exeter last week as Ali Williams' lock partner. Ali  Williams is not preferred ahead fo hom as you are trying to make  averybody believe you stupid fool. He and Ali Williams are lock partners with Williams being the no 5 and Bakkies the no 4.

This was the line-up against Exeter last week.

15    Drew Mitchell   
14    Alexis Palisson   
13    Mathieu Bastareaud   
12    Matt Giteau   
11    Bryan Habana   
10    Jonny Wilkinson (capt)   
9    Sebastien Tillous-Borde   
1    Florian Fresia   
2    Craig Burden   
3    Martin Castrogiovanni   
4    Bakkies Botha   
5    Ali Williams 

6    Juan Smith   
7    Steffon Armitage   
8    Chris Masoe   
16    Jean-Charles Orioli   
17    Xavier Chiocci   
18    Carl Hayman   
19    Virgile Bruni   
20    Rudi Wulf   

When you are in a hole, you should stop digging.

Dec 15, 2013, 16:34

Bakkies is there first choice lock mike. He has started 80% of there games. Please don't make up lies again.

Dec 15, 2013, 16:48

how can u not know that mikey is egging u on??? LMFAO, :oP

but that picture of bakkies botha, damn thats some mean stitches, hes gonna have some cool war tales about those scars in the future.

Dec 16, 2013, 11:26

Good day, Mike.

Dec 16, 2013, 13:34

OK

There was no tam announcement before the broadcast started.   Did not know Bakkies was injured and the game against Exeter was not on TV.   Theweek before that Bakkies was on the bench - that game was telecasted here.

Then there was the other two cases mentioned - which nobody commented upon - Morne Steyn and Gurthro Steenkamp.  Both are always bench players whenever I have seen matches played by those two sides.

And lastly Botha's performances against Scotland and France in the test was SHIT in any event.   Just want to put the stats to prove my point:-

Botha

0/0

0/3/6

4/3

1/2

0/0

Botha

0/0

0/0/3

4/1

4/0

0/0

Dec 16, 2013, 14:06

clevermike

RE: The strange way of Picking French Club players for the Speingbok team
December 16, 2013, 13:34:12

OK

There was no tam announcement before the broadcast started.   Did not know Bakkies was injured and the game against Exeter was not on TV.   Theweek before that Bakkies was on the bench - that game was telecasted here.

You did not know that Bakkies was injured in the game against Exeter. You have been told over and over that Bakkies has been in the starting line-up in almost all of the Toulon games. There was no team announcement before the game. Bakkies is Ali Williams' lock partner in the team and has been for quite a while. Despite all of this and based on your won stupid assumption, you jump on here and declare it as a fact that Toulon is now preferring Ali Williams ahead of Bakkies, as if you know everything. You know bugger all, my friend. Do you understand why I say that it is not worth responding to your bullshit? Can you blame me.............or anybody else, for that matter?

Aug 19, 2014, 12:56

Eina !!

Mike, you were kicked into touch here my good buddy.

In fact, Ceradyne took the mark, waited a full minute, then booted you into the stands to end the game and the argument.

Sjoh !!, you look a bit dim here boetie

Very sadly.... it's 9 months on from this article and I see no improvement from you

Aug 19, 2014, 13:41

DA   

I am sure that Steyn and Steenkamp are in 75% of the matches of their clubs on the bench - they only start when the starting players are for some reason or other not available.  

Now lets look at Bakkies Botha' performances int eh games he played for the Springboks since last year - there were 4 of those:-

Scotland

Botha

0/0

0/3/6

4/3

1/2

0/0

France 

Botha

0/0

0/0/3

4/1

4/0

0/0

Wales

Botha0/000/0/4300010/01/000/0

Argentina

Botha0/000/1/1000002/13/000/0

Niow letas combine thioos stats and see what his work rate in fact was in the four tests he played in:-

Botha0/000/4/135001210/59/200/0

Now lets analyze the above:-

*   Bakkies did pass the ball four times and off-loaded it once - all in traffic with no real benefit for the team.

*   He carried the ball 15 times and in the process gained 5 meters in territory - in other words he goes down immediately and cannot effectively carry balls   

*   He lost ball possession twice

*   In all four games he made 15 attempted tackles - 5 of those were missed leaving him with a missed tackle ratio of 33,3%;

*  In four games he took 11 line outs - 2 of which was against the Scots last year.  Matter of fact he took all of 4 line out balls in the last two tests he played in.   

My question remains - is that what we can expect from an international lock playing in 4 tests?   Those figures may be acceptable in one test - but in four they show s seriously deficient work rate and way below par performance. 

And our resident morons want him in the team - what a joke.      

Aug 19, 2014, 14:47

And how does the "stats" prove that Ali Williams was preferred ahead of him. Your "assessment" of his play is worth shit in any case. The way that you use and interpret them in any case.

His position at his club is, after all, the subject of discussion here. You would have noticed it if you have put in the effort of reading the opening post carefully. Oh wait..................... :D

Aug 19, 2014, 14:52

very selective with the stats eh? wont accept them if they disagrre with him.

Aug 19, 2014, 15:12

Err... Mike

As mentioned above by Ceradyne

It was his position in the club which you disputed here

Looking a bit more dim boetie 

You need to Log in to reply.